Titan - Ti won't screw on

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Titan - Ti won't screw on

Post by DarkPhoenix »

After 9 long months, my Titan - Ti is finally home. I was test fitting her on some rifles and ran into a problem. The can went onto my Rem700 without an issue, but will not thread all the way onto my Wilson Combat 6.8 barrel. A 51t flash hider will go on this barrel without issue, even the thread protector from the Rem700 will go on with ease. But the can will only thread about half way on before getting difficult to tighten. I could force it and keep tightening, but I don't want to F-up the threads on either. Any dieas?

Threads on wilson barrel:
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Titan - Ti won't screw on

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'd say you have some tolerance stacking issues. My guess is that the silencer and 6.8 barrel are at the limite of their respective tolerance and as a result, have "bumped" into a problem. Were it me, I'd order an adjustable die from Brownell's and take a bit off the 6.8 threads.
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

That makes perfect sense. Everything is 5/8x24, some apparently have tighter tolerances than others. I expect that the can would have a good tight tolerance, for obvious reasons. The 6.8 barrel must also be on the tight side while the Rem700 is more average. Tight plus tight equals not fit. I will have to figure something out for it, while I could add a 51t and use my 762sdn6, the piggies really want to hear the Titan-Ti.

Edit: got it all worked out, thanks for the advice!
skierjt

Post by skierjt »

I had this issue with my titan and my element 2 on some different rifles. I just tightened thread protectors on the different threads a few times past that point you described where it gets difficult. Once I did that and "broke in" the threads so to speak I was able to get the cans on with no problems.