Element 2 vs Pilot 2

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

rybern

Element 2 vs Pilot 2

Post by rybern »

Hey guys, first post here.

I have had a demo of the Element II. I am sold on the effectiveness of it. Very little first round pop, light weight, easy to clean and its compact. I have come across a good buy on the Element 2 for $419 or a great buy on the Pilot II for $199. I will be using this can on a 22/45 and a 10/22. I am torn on which to get.

It appears that the baffle are the same design but made from different materials. However, it seems that specs show that the Element II is quieter than the Pilot II. Can anyone comment on the difference? This will be my first 22lr suppressor.

Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Element 2 vs Pilot 2

Post by Bendersquint »

rybern wrote:Hey guys, first post here.

I have had a demo of the Element II. I am sold on the effectiveness of it. Very little first round pop, light weight, easy to clean and its compact. I have come across a good buy on the Element 2 for $419 or a great buy on the Pilot II for $199. I will be using this can on a 22/45 and a 10/22. I am torn on which to get.

It appears that the baffle are the same design but made from different materials. However, it seems that specs show that the Element II is quieter than the Pilot II. Can anyone comment on the difference? This will be my first 22lr suppressor.

Thanks.
You will want the Element because it is more durable materials and you will NEVER kill it.

The Pilot has aluminum baffles and therefore a limited lifespan.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

And a HUGE PITA to clean. Get the E2.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

This will sound counterintuitive... but don't even look at the price. Seriously.

22LR and aluminum baffles do not mix well in the long run. Element 2 has all stainless steel baffles.
rybern

Post by rybern »

I really appreciate the advice and I like your answer. The Element seems to do everything I want. I know there are other good choices out there but the weight, size and effectiveness of this one seems to be hard to beat.
rybern

Post by rybern »

I ordered an Element II today from Cherokee Gun in GA. Thanks again for everyones advice.
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Everyone is right, go Element 2. A couple hundred extra dollars spread out over the four to six months you'll be waiting on ATF will get you a silencer you can keep and use for a lifetime.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
dsteuber

Post by dsteuber »

It seems the bottom line with a P22 and going with AAC means the Element 2. Noted.

Thanks.
BlackdogGS

Post by BlackdogGS »

rybern wrote:I ordered an Element II today from Cherokee Gun in GA. Thanks again for everyones advice.

I ordered an Element 2 last week. Since you'll get yours before me please post a review.
rybern

Post by rybern »

BlackdogGS wrote:
rybern wrote:I ordered an Element II today from Cherokee Gun in GA. Thanks again for everyones advice.

I ordered an Element 2 last week. Since you'll get yours before me please post a review.
I shot a buddy's Element II coupled with my 22/45 and 10/22 yesterday. All I can say is WOW. It's a little ridiculous how quit it was on the 22/45. I can't say a bad thing about the Element II; its light weight, short, easily cleaned, durable and very quiet. Of course the only side by side comparison I have done is between the Element II and the Red Jacket 22lr can. The difference between these two is HUGE. The Element II is unbelievable on the 22/45.

I actually signed and mailed off my form 4 yesterday for my Element II, so the clock has started. It has taken nearly 8 weeks for the form 3 to go through and shipped to my local SOT.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

My vote would be the Element 2 it is worth the extra money and like everyone has been saying it will last you a lifetime.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

rybern wrote:
BlackdogGS wrote:

I shot a buddy's Element II coupled with my 22/45 and 10/22 yesterday. All I can say is WOW. It's a little ridiculous how quit it was on the 22/45. I can't say a bad thing about the Element II; its light weight, short, easily cleaned, durable and very quiet. Of course the only side by side comparison I have done is between the Element II and the Red Jacket 22lr can. The difference between these two is HUGE. The Element II is unbelievable on the 22/45.

I actually signed and mailed off my form 4 yesterday for my Element II, so the clock has started. It has taken nearly 8 weeks for the form 3 to go through and shipped to my local SOT.
Cool I love mine I have a Mark 3 with a Volqaurtsen upper not really into plastic lowers like the 22/45 but is is as quit as a pellet gun with subsonic ammo. One of the best investment I have ever made IMO.
BlackdogGS

Post by BlackdogGS »

I don't have a .22 pistol with a threaded barrel yet. I see you guys like the 22/45 (so does Nutnfancy). Any other quality .22 autos I should consider?
skierjt

Post by skierjt »

I've had my element 2 for about a year now and it's an awesome little 22 can. It's very quiet, short, pretty lightweight (there are many other 22 cans that are lighter) and it can handle 22mag and 17hmr. Before I go any further, I really couldn't be happier with my decision to pick this can up for my rimfire rifles/pistols in multiple calibers. On my 22/45 with a paclite upper, the can is absolutely amazing. Dead quiet with anything that runs through it (especially if I hold the bolt closed). Half the time people think my pistol is misfiring.. On my 10/22, it's absurd. I didn't think a firearm could get quieter than the element on my 22/45, but I was wrong. I'm not exaggerating when I say the strike of the firing pin is louder than the report at the muzzle (from the ear, at least). Of course the action noise is present, but that can be held shut for ultimate suppression. The bolt action 17hmr I throw it on has got to be my favorite host for this can. The tiny little 17 bullet just sounds like a crack of a whip when it breaks the sound barrier, so along with that noise, all you hear from the gun is the firing pin and the spring vibration from the firing pin discharge. I find it to be the most pleasant/cool sounding host firearm for this can. Still haven't tried it on a bolt 22lr, but I bet it would really shine on the end of one while shooting subs. They say that mono-core designs generally preform better on rifles, while the k baffles from the element preform better on pistols... the element 2 sounded better on all the 22 host firearms when pinned against the sparrow. Just my relatively un-biased opinion. But when I say "better," I am being extremely nit-picky. Most people would't tell such a slight difference, so in these cases, I generally say that most higher-quality 22 cans are are along the same lines in terms of sound reduction. Bottom line, the can preforms amazingly and definitely shows that you get what you pay for.

However, I don't necessarily agree that it's easy to clean. You've got to have the tool (which sometimes requires another wrench to torque on when it's super grimy) and you really need to clean the outside of the baffles and the tube to get the can assembled again, otherwise the baffles get stuck in the tube and you've got to start all over. Also, cleaning the material inside the baffles is really time consuming unless you have a sonic cleaner or a bead blaster, but I suppose the same could be said about most other 22 baffle stacks. But all that being said, I don't mind that much because I really don't buy into the need to clean these cans as often as people stress that they should be cleaned. Once I started using the can I was cleaning every 300-500 rounds, but you really don't need to until around 1,000-2,000 rounds (depending on the type of ammo). As long as everything is still sealed up tight and you're not getting gobs of carbon pouring out the end of the can, don't stress about cleaning it so much. You gotta understand that before recently, all cans were sealed and could not be disassembled for cleaning, and most of them worked just fine. Just my 2 cents on silencer cleaning. Cleaning my TiRant is a whole other PITA that I don't wanna get into right now (and is probably why I haven't cleaned mine in god knows how long..) Long story short, get the Octane if you ever plan on getting a pistol can.

But anyways, the element 2 has outstanding performance all around. For a versatile can (22lr, 17hmr, 22mag) thats durable, short, and relatively light weight, it's definitely going to provide some of the best sound reduction with zero first round pop. But if you don't plan on using it on a 22mag or 17, there are probably better options in terms of weight and ease of cleaning. But in my opinion, 1-2 ounces of weight savings isn't going to make me lean towards another, caliber-restricting option. The element 2 is among the top of the line rimfire silencers, but if I were only shooting 22lr, i'd go for something like a warlock 2, prodigy, or pilot 2, based on the (minimal) weight savings, ease of cleaning (not sure about the pilot 2 on that one), and lower cost.

On another side note - I didn't mention if these are full auto rated or not because most people don't give a s*** so it does't matter always.. But I'm pretty sure the element, sparrow, and a number of others are full auto rated.

Spark notes: The Element 2 is F***'n sweet, go buy one.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I've also got an element 2. I bought it specifically because testing seemed to show it had the least first round pop of the .22 cans and it had excellent pistol sound rating and good rifle sound rating.

Cleaning is a chore, but no more so than any other 22 can I think: Getting it all apart with the tool feels a little time consuming, but easy. Picking all the lead off the complex shapes of the baffles with a dental pick is the time consuming part, but it would be with any can using K baffles. Better to use a wet tumbler with SS pins, I think. Putting it back together is easy: make sure the outside rims of all the baffles are clean, stack them up with the blast baffle at the top and rest of the baffles with their holes alternating, press the tube over the stack, and screw in the front endcap. Done.