Problem with AAC 762 SD...bullet fragments

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

jeremyp

Problem with AAC 762 SD...bullet fragments

Post by jeremyp »

I just got my AAC 762 SD suppressor this week and during my first range trip to test it out on my two 300 blackout uppers I couldn't hit paper with two different 208gr AMAX subsonic ammo with the suppressor on. This only happened on one of my uppers. When I took the suppressor off a bunch of bullet fragments came out but there is no evidence of any damage as far as I can tell. The baffles look weird to me but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction to so I can get this resolved and tell me if the baffles look like they are supposed to or not.

The upper I am having the problem with is an AAC 9" barrel with AAC 51T flash hider mounted to a BCM upper receiver with a Samson EVO Keymod rail. I followed the instructions and used the Rocksett to mount the flash hider to the barrel and let it cure for over 24 hours before testing it out. The other upper I have that operated perfectly is an Odin Works 10.5" SS barrel with an AAC 51T brakeout compensator mounted to an Anderson upper receiver with an Odin Works keymod rail. Both barrels are 1/8 twist and run both subs and supers fine. It's only the AAC barrel that has the bullet fragmentation problem.

Here are the pics I took.

jeremyp

Re: Problem with AAC 762 SD...bullet fragments

Post by jeremyp »

I forgot to add...the ammo that I am using is Hornady Custom Ammunition 300 AAC Blackout 208 Grain A-Max subsonic and Detroit Ammunition 208 Grain A-Max subsonic.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

I suggest that you use a rod to check the alignment of the suppressor to the bore before shooting again.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

You forgot to do the eyeball test through the bore (breech end) with the can attached?
jeremyp

Post by jeremyp »

I did verify that it completely centered when I installed it. It looked damn straight...both of the uppers looked straight and centered with the can attached
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

It could very well be the mount.
jeremyp

Post by jeremyp »

OK, so I found something that could POTENTIALLY be the issue. I used the o-ring trick to tighten up the fitment of the can to the mount to get rid of any play that might be there. I removed the o-ring to see if there was a difference in it being centered vs with the 0-ring. It turns out that there is a tiny shift with the o-ring installed vs not installed...a really small and almost unnoticeable difference. I'm going to the range to test it out since it's less than 5 minutes away. I'm going to take the can off after each shot and check for debris just to be on the safe side. We shall see...
jeremyp

Post by jeremyp »

OK, I've solved the problem. I removed the mount and remounted it per AAC's directions using Rocksett, just as I did last time. I put the can on the mount without the o-ring and tested each type of ammo I have on hand. I shot 3-5 rounds each of 110gr, 125gr & 147gr supers as well as two different types of 208gr AMAX subs checking the can in between each shot to make sure there were no bullet jacket fragments. All rounds fired cleanly and accurately at a 50 yard target without any debris in the can.

JP
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Glad you got it resolved. The 51T issues the past few years kept me away from AAC rifle cans unfortunately. The new 90T mounts are supposed to have fixed any issues.