TiRant 45

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

hkusp40

TiRant 45

Post by hkusp40 »

Folks,

I apologize if this has been talked about in the past but I am still having trouble finding definitive information even after months of researching the internet. I am new to class 3 items and currently have a TiRant in tax stamp purgatory (3 months and waiting). The model that my dealer had in stock that I purchased was a sealed unit. It came with the old style user card. I emailed AAC with the serial number (TR45 2XXX) to see it it was a take apart type and they simply sent me a disassembly tool. Based on this, I figured that it was a take apart type, so I went back to the dealer to try taking it apart and it will not come apart. I am now convinced that it is sealed with either rockset or locktite. I will put maybe 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per year through it in 45ACP (FMJ only) and 9mm (FMJ only). My questions are:

1. Should I jailbreak it so it can be cleaned?

2. If so, does the boiling water method really work or should I soak it in PB Blaster or what method works best?

3. Can I simply put a cork in the end of it and fill it with hoppes 9 (or other cleaner?) and let it sit for a day or two to dissolve the crud?

4. Am I worrying about nothing and should simply shoot it and not worry about disassembling and cleaning it any further than the piston/spring?

5. Will AAC jailbreak this for me? If not who does?

Again, I appreciate your patience and guidance. -Ger
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: TiRant 45

Post by rimshaker »

All Tirants are take-apart. It's just a matter of how tight the endcap was assembled at the factory. Or if perhaps Loctite was used.

My Tirant 45 has a 3xxx serial# and all it took was some muscle to finally budge the endcap. No Loctite was applied to mine.

Easiest way is to secure the disassembly tool in a vice (pins facing up).
Then place the can on top and use all the leverage you can muscle into it. Use rubber gloves or something for grip. It will pop free.
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

Thanks. I'll try that when I get it from the dealer. -Ger
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

My TiRant 45 ser#TR450xxx was shipped with no take down tool and the front end cap was red loctited in place. There was a lot of locktite used. I did boil mine in water for about 30min. Even after that it was very hard to get apart. I locked the front end cap tool in my vise and and used a strap wrench, even with all that it took a lot of effort to brake the cap loose. I got very lucky that it came apart with out any damage, I have seen many of them badly damaged. All I can say is use caution.

Audio Jason
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

Thanks the info. Maybe I won't chance it. If i screw it up, the cost is a deterrent but the wait or a replacement is much more so. I love the can but wished that AAC would have made it more user serviceable. At this point i'm still waiting for a stamp. Maybe AAC will jailbreak it? Thanks again. -Ger
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

Thanks the info. Maybe I won't chance it. If i screw it up, the cost is a deterrent but the wait or a replacement is much more so. I love the can but wished that AAC would have made it more user serviceable. At this point i'm still waiting for a stamp. Maybe AAC will jailbreak it? Thanks again. -Ger
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

I've heard of very early Tirants having Loctite applied on the endcap. But with your 2xxx serial# it's highly doubtful.

Somewhere in these forums, Mike Mers (former AAC sales guy) recommended using the vise technique I posted earlier... but forgot the part about submerging the endcap in WD40 overnight first.

If for some reason Loctite is actually present, you will know it. In that case, AAC should have no problem doing it for you.
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

rimshaker wrote:I've heard of very early Tirants having Loctite applied on the endcap. But with your 2xxx serial# it's highly doubtful.

Somewhere in these forums, Mike Mers (former AAC sales guy) recommended using the vise technique I posted earlier... but forgot the part about submerging the endcap in WD40 overnight first.

If for some reason Loctite is actually present, you will know it. In that case, AAC should have no problem doing it for you.
Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a try after soaking it in wd40 after I receive it from the dealer. Thanks again. -Get
audiojason
Elite Member

Post by audiojason »

I do not think AAC will jailbrake a sealed TiRant. Is your SN# only 4 numbers? Mine is 6 and if that has anything to say about how long AAC was using loctite on the front cap should tell you something.
Silencerco Sparrow, Silencerco SS Sparrow, AAC M4-1000, AAC Prodigy, AAC Ti-RANT 45, AAC 762-SD, Gemtech MultiMount, Quicksilver GSG-SD, AAC ECO9
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

audiojason wrote:I do not think AAC will jailbrake a sealed TiRant. Is your SN# only 4 numbers? Mine is 6 and if that has anything to say about how long AAC was using loctite on the front cap should tell you something.
TR45 is the common model# and the next 4 digits are the serial#. Yours began with a "0" so I was thinking you had an early batch with Loctite applied.
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

rimshaker wrote:
audiojason wrote:I do not think AAC will jailbrake a sealed TiRant. Is your SN# only 4 numbers? Mine is 6 and if that has anything to say about how long AAC was using loctite on the front cap should tell you something.
TR45 is the common model# and the next 4 digits are the serial#. Yours began with a "0" so I was thinking you had an early batch with Loctite applied.
Mine is 4 digit starting with a 2 after the TR45. TR45 2xxx. -Ger
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

Folks,

I thought that I'd update you on this. I received my tax stamp late last week (finally...) and picked up my TiRant 45. Last night I had some time and decided to try to disassemble it after going back and forth on jail breaking it. I was afraid of breaking it or getting it half apart and getting stuck or whatnot. Anyway, I put the disassembly tool in the vice surrounded by softwood strips, put the suppressor onto it vertically and it simply spun apart with ease. There was no locktite or rockset. I suspect that with it being cool, the aluminum end cap shrunk relative to the titanium tube and allowed it to unthread with ease. I have put a little over 500 rounds through it and expected it to be gunked up. It was not. As a matter of fact, there was only a little dry soot and some minor carbon build up. I am glad that I disassembled it, though, because the baffles were beginning to stick to the tube from carbon build up. I cleaned everything with a toothbrush and WD40 then washed everything in hot soapy water and dried with a towel and blow dryer. I lightly greased all threads, o-rings and the piston spring and reassembled. Based on all of this, I think that I will clean the piston each time out and the entire can every 500 rounds. Thanks for all of your suggestions. -Ger
mososodbob

Post by mososodbob »

hkusp40 wrote:Folks,

I apologize if this has been talked about in the past but I am still having trouble finding definitive information even after months of researching the internet. I am new to class 3 items and currently have a TiRant in tax stamp purgatory (3 months and waiting). The model that my dealer had in stock that I purchased was a sealed unit. It came with the old style user card. I emailed AAC with the serial number (TR45 2XXX) to see it it was a take apart type and they simply sent me a disassembly tool. Based on this, I figured that it was a take apart type, so I went back to the dealer to try taking it apart and it will not come apart. I am now convinced that it is sealed with either rockset or locktite. I will put maybe 1,500 to 2,000 rounds per year through it in 45ACP (FMJ only) and 9mm (FMJ only). My questions are:

2. If so, does the boiling water method really work or should I soak it in PB Blaster or what method works best?

3. Can I simply put a cork in the end of it and fill it with hoppes 9 (or other cleaner?) and let it sit for a day or two to dissolve the crud?

4. Am I worrying about nothing and should simply shoot it and not worry about disassembling and cleaning it any further than the piston/spring?

folks...sorry if this topic is addressed already...my internet search showed limited posting on this...

It is now JUN 2017 and I had my Ti-RANT 45 since Jul 2011. Just recently obtained the end-cap tool and attempted to remove it for servicing. No Luck in getting it loose either. Have not try the boiling water technique. Have soaked the end cap portion with liberal amount of Kroil. Have end cap removal tool in a vise and used a strap wrench on the body of the can. The strap slips and still no positive movement. Don't really want to use any more aggressive tools than this...

The serial number on my can is TR45 1xxx. Guessing it is an early one and not serviceable? Can anyone confirm this.

Have contacted AAC Customer service and still waiting on an answer to my serial number question and if they will service the can... they did reply to clean it with Kroil or Simple Green. Not much more info than that, so far. Hopefully an AAC Rep is monitoring this forum and can expedite an answer...maybe the moderator SilentMike?

Will doing a "Dip" cleaning be enough? I have no more than 1000 rounds thru the can...mostly with cast bullet loads. So there will be both carbon and lead fouling. I finally got the adapter for 1/2-28 and plan to shoot .22LR out of it using my AR carbine. But want to service it after using the .22 ammo...reason for the need to disassemble the can to do needed servicing.
hkusp40

Post by hkusp40 »

mososodbob wrote:

folks...sorry if this topic is addressed already...my internet search showed limited posting on this...

It is now JUN 2017 and I had my Ti-RANT 45 since Jul 2011. Just recently obtained the end-cap tool and attempted to remove it for servicing. No Luck in getting it loose either. Have not try the boiling water technique. Have soaked the end cap portion with liberal amount of Kroil. Have end cap removal tool in a vise and used a strap wrench on the body of the can. The strap slips and still no positive movement. Don't really want to use any more aggressive tools than this...

The serial number on my can is TR45 1xxx. Guessing it is an early one and not serviceable? Can anyone confirm this.

Have contacted AAC Customer service and still waiting on an answer to my serial number question and if they will service the can... they did reply to clean it with Kroil or Simple Green. Not much more info than that, so far. Hopefully an AAC Rep is monitoring this forum and can expedite an answer...maybe the moderator SilentMike?

Will doing a "Dip" cleaning be enough? I have no more than 1000 rounds thru the can...mostly with cast bullet loads. So there will be both carbon and lead fouling. I finally got the adapter for 1/2-28 and plan to shoot .22LR out of it using my AR carbine. But want to service it after using the .22 ammo...reason for the need to disassemble the can to do needed servicing.
Hi, in the end my Tirant opened right up using the tool. I clean it every time I use it to prevent carbon build up which is a significant issue in my opinion. I would not use the dip solution because most of the baffles are aluminum and that will corrode them. I would wait to hear back from AAC to see what they say about servicing it for you. -Ger
mososodbob

Post by mososodbob »

hkusp40 wrote:
mososodbob wrote:

Hi, in the end my Tirant opened right up using the tool. I clean it every time I use it to prevent carbon build up which is a significant issue in my opinion. I would not use the dip solution because most of the baffles are aluminum and that will corrode them. I would wait to hear back from AAC to see what they say about servicing it for you. -Ger

Thanks for the feed back Ger. Contacted AAC and have arranged to have the can sent back for them to inspect and service as needed...hopefully, it will not be too costly. Will update everyone when the action is completed.