51T Blackout Tuning Fork Effect

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

RangerEric

51T Blackout Tuning Fork Effect

Post by RangerEric »

Hi all -

Just took the leap of adding myself to a new watchlist and ordering my first suppressor, an M4-2000. So while I realize I have a good 9 months or so to ponder these matters.... I'm trying to start figuring out what I'm going to do for QD mounts on a few different rifles. The can comes with one free 51T Blackout, and I'm pondering just going that route for my other rifles as well, but this "tuning fork" effect I'm reading about has me scratching my head. Not trying to be an FNG, I've spent a good amount of time with the Search function on here and other websites related to the matter, but trying to get some current and concise answers on the matter, hopefully maybe even straight from the horse's mouth at AAC. Information I'm coming up with varies from "it doesn't exist" to "it's quiet and not a problem" to "it's loud and not a problem" to "it'll go away after X number of rounds" to "it's a deal breaker" to "it depends". I'm really not excited about the prospect of a loud/persistent ringing sound coming from the gun, but also really don't want to deal with the looks/price/noise of going the muzzlebrake route instead, unless that's my only option. I wish a 51t Birdcage flash hider existed, but it doesn't seem to.

Soooooo...... in no particular order -

- Are any of you guys running 51t Blackouts and experiencing the tuning fork sound?

- Just how loud/long is it, with and without a can installed?

- Is there anything that can be done about it?

- Is there a better option?

- Should I shut up and quit being a FNG and go back to using the Search function?

- Anything else on the matter I should know about?

Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll be along with more questions as I take a crash course in Suppressor Ownership 101...

- Eric
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: 51T Blackout Tuning Fork Effect

Post by fishman »

Why not try it for yourself before you decide to order more. Hearing it yourself is going to be far better than any info we can provide, especially considering the mixed reviews.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
RangerEric

Post by RangerEric »

Hmm. Yeah, that's good advice. I had it in my head that I was gonna take these next few months to buy parts and get my gunsmithing done so once my stamp came through everything would be ready to go, but maybe that's not my best course of action. Thanks for the input.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

- Is there anything that can be done about it? - Shoot it. Its not as prominent after it gets coated in carbon.

- Is there a better option? - The new 51T BattleComps are awesome although pricy. Also AAC maked other muzzle devices
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Your dealer might let you take just the flash hider home before your stamp is approved. Flash hiders aren't silencer parts, and you already paid for it (I'm assuming).
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
RangerEric

Post by RangerEric »

themonk wrote:- Is there anything that can be done about it? - Shoot it. Its not as prominent after it gets coated in carbon.

- Is there a better option? - The new 51T BattleComps are awesome although pricy. Also AAC maked other muzzle devices
When you say "not as prominent", how less prominent are we talking here? Does it largely go away at that point?

Those Battlecomps look cool, but isn't that pretty much just another muzzle brake? My understanding is that muzzlebrakes make the gun a teeth-jarring experience to fire without the can in place.
RangerEric

Post by RangerEric »

fishman wrote:Your dealer might let you take just the flash hider home before your stamp is approved. Flash hiders aren't silencer parts, and you already paid for it (I'm assuming).
Yeah, it's already paid for, that's likely an option.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

RangerEric wrote:
themonk wrote:- Is there anything that can be done about it? - Shoot it. Its not as prominent after it gets coated in carbon.

When you say "not as prominent", how less prominent are we talking here? Does it largely go away at that point?

Those Battlecomps look cool, but isn't that pretty much just another muzzle brake? My understanding is that muzzlebrakes make the gun a teeth-jarring experience to fire without the can in place.
It has always seemed to me that the people that complain about the ping the most are the ones that dont shoot. Personally, I can say I am aware of it when the blackout is new but after I run it with a can on for a while, it goes away.

Battlecomps are far less jarring than a muzzle brake. Given your options the BC is the best blend of flash reduction and muzzle rise. Google is your friend. Its just a standard BC with a 51T acme thread on it. Personally I think the breakout is garbage and either run the BC or blackouts on my SBRs.
RangerEric

Post by RangerEric »

So, as a followup to my original post, I bit the bullet, installed the AAC 51t Blackout flash hider, and at least on a 16" Govt profile barrel, the tuning fork effect is there, but not bothersome or problematic in the slightest. Actually kind of strangely cool! So, much ado about nothing...

Now, if my stamp would just hurry up!
hkbeltfed

Post by hkbeltfed »

I heard drilling a hole in one of the tines, and 2 holes in another tine (or different size holes), will eliminate the sound.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I heard welding six steel shot between each pair of tines will make it play "Tubular Bells".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895