What's the story with lead times?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

rob_s
Silent But Deadly

What's the story with lead times?

Post by rob_s »

It seems that every forum I log on to there's somebody (or multiple somebodies) waiting for an AAC can to materialize at their dealer so they can pick it up. Case in point, it seems like Markm has been waiting since Moses was knee-high to a grasshopper for an M4-1000.

Is this a Harley-like marketing ploy to saturate the public with a media blitz and then limit production to just enough to make people feel like they own something special if they have one?

Is it a case of "we're so busy making them for real-life high speed guys that we only have time to make one or two for you nobodies"? (or maybe it's just an attempt to appear this way?)

Is it some actual combination of the two?

Reason I ask is, I'm kind of in the market for a 6.8 upper, which also kind of puts me in the market for a 6.8 can. A few people have suggested various AAC products (imagine that on this board :lol: ) and it looks like my options are pretty much limited to AAC and Surefire in this regard. Since the 6.8 cans suffer from the usual AAC lead (lag?) times but also appear to be special-order, I'm apprehensive about making plans around obtaining one of these if I'm going to wind up waiting for the second coming to get one.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

stock up on bulk laxatives because by the time you get it you'll need it but you wont need the can cause you can just turn down your hearing aid.JK :lol:

It's been like that for some time but some of them it's the dealers fault but not all of them.This would be the only gripe I would have with AAC.It took 6 months to make my Evo-45 but that was maybe 3 yrs ago.Heck it's gonna take maybe 4 months for them too fix my 762SD and they stil have my rifle.How long does it take to EDM the dern thing.Doesnt matter cause I dont have a scope for it yet but it's the principal.First it was 4 to 6 weeks than I check in on it a month later and "Oh,it will be 4-6 weeks" :roll: .Aye,Carumba.

I have to wait 4 months for my stock and maybe 4-6 weeks for my USO but to me it's well worth it.Not sure if Id want to wait for a can that long though.
chromeluv
Silent But Deadly

Post by chromeluv »

cyclone72 wrote: ........and maybe 4-6months weeks weeks for my USO but to me it's well worth it.Not sure if Id want to wait for a can that long though.

fixed it for you..ive been waiting since april...

make sure you double check that they have the reticle you want *in stock* :shock:
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

chromeluv wrote:
cyclone72 wrote: ........and maybe 4-6months weeks weeks for my USO but to me it's well worth it.Not sure if Id want to wait for a can that long though.

fixed it for you..ive been waiting since april...

make sure you double check that they have the reticle you want *in stock* :shock:
aaaargh,Id check yours out.They told me 10-12 weeks but........ Im not gonna wait that long,hell no.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

All good things come to those who wait.

AAC products are one of them.

US optics have along wait.

KAC have along wait.

There is a reason for this, IMHO is because it's top notch stuff that many people want.
NFAtalk.org
aarudd
Silent Operator

Post by aarudd »

I've waited 14 months for my M4-2000 in 2004. My dealer ordered the M4-2000 suppressor in April 2004. The dealer didn't get suppressor until may of 2005. The form 4 was approved June of 2005, 14 months from the day it was paid for.
Qstick333

Post by Qstick333 »

I find myself in a tough situation that the confusing lead times are causing...

My dealer tells me that he cannot get a definitive date that the cans could be ready, and that it could be 6 months, could be longer. I own several AAC (and Soundtech, YHM) cans and would love to add the M4-1000 to the mix, but I don't know that I can handle not having a clue as to when it would be ready.

I don't want to bash AAC (Although I feel that I am), and I LOVE their stuff, yet I am baffled why a production date is so difficult to come by. If it will be 1 year, tell me so I can expect it. I called AAC today and tried to narrow down a timeframe, the only response that I got was that they won't give out a timeframe, and when I asked if it could be 6 months or longer or if they thought it would be faster than 6 months, the asmwer was "could be" - that helped clear things up....

ZAch <----Frustrated
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Two words: Stocking dealer

I don't understand why people don't get this. If you go to buy something and it's not in stock, you have to wait.

Let's say you decide to go purchase a new car. Great, only your dealer doesn't have the sport package in the color you want on the lot. What do you have to do? Well, you either try and find the exact one you want at another dealership in town, or hell, maybe even across the country. Your other option is to order it and WAIT (funny the parallel). So let's say you find one in ButtFcukingEgypt, South Carolina, you buy it and have it shipped to wherever you are. SAME THING WITH A CAN. Whether or not a stocking dealer is local to you or not, that's the only way to insure that you won't have to wait. Otherwise, sack up and deal with the lead time.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

JohnnyC wrote:Two words: Stocking dealer

I don't understand why people don't get this. If you go to buy something and it's not in stock, you have to wait.

Let's say you decide to go purchase a new car. Great, only your dealer doesn't have the sport package in the color you want on the lot. What do you have to do? Well, you either try and find the exact one you want at another dealership in town, or hell, maybe even across the country. Your other option is to order it and WAIT (funny the parallel). So let's say you find one in ButtFcukingEgypt, South Carolina, you buy it and have it shipped to wherever you are. SAME THING WITH A CAN. Whether or not a stocking dealer is local to you or not, that's the only way to insure that you won't have to wait. Otherwise, sack up and deal with the lead time.
if you buy from a stocking dealer you wont have a gawd awful wait

Mark from Polite Society is a stocking dealer,he can form 3 it to your dealer anywhere in the US,if your dealer aint havin it get another one.Or any other stocking dealer.When I odered through AAC it took some time but when I orderd form Mark at Polite Society it took a week to get the can.

My only gripe is my rebuild under the warranty cause I was getting end cap strikes and it wasnt the threading it was the can,which they said 4-6 weeks and than I called about 3-4 weeks later and got the same reply 4-6 weeks.
Qstick333

Post by Qstick333 »

My local dealer tries to be stocking - he has dozens of can on order.

IF I order from someone else, my local dealer loses income. I deal enough and am friendly with them to the point that I consider this a slap in the face....

My gripe is the inability to offer a lead time. Tell me 1 year if that is the case, just tell me something.
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

If you don't like waiting don't have a Jeep built! All I know is that good things take time. People who are good at what they do are that way for a reason. Because they have pride in what they do. I'd say look to getting a Gemtech but their wait is almost as bad as AAC's.
You can't ever have too much KFC!
Qstick333

Post by Qstick333 »

I feel like I am speaking to a brick wall........

I have ZERO problems with waiting. I have a problem with the companies unwillingness to commit to a timeframe that they can be built and shipped in and I feel like this is poor customer service. I have waited 16 months for custom rifles, 8 months for a custom reticle from USO, etc...but I knew from day one when the product would be finished.

AAC can produce x number of cans daily. They have y number of cans already ordered. Simple math would tell you that you are number --- in line and with our current production, it will be approx. this many days.

I love AAC cans and own a few. I think their service and willingness to rebuild is second to none. In my perspective - the lack of being willing to give a date is a significant deterrent to ordering more of their products. I am absolutely thrilled that Kevin and crew are thriving, I just wish that I could be told something more specific than "yes"......
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Without a stocking dealer, you are gonna wait and god only knows how long.

I bought one can from my dealer and the other 5 are transfers.

He gets his 50 bucks/still gets paid and I don't have to wait some insane amount of time.

There's really no other way around it without hurting your dealers feelings, but if you really want it faster it's really the best way to get the product faster.
NFAtalk.org
Qstick333

Post by Qstick333 »

I understand about the stocking dealer etc...

For the umpteenth time - I DO NOT CARE HOW LONG THE WAIT IS

I am upset at how AAC chooses to deal with it.

Nevermind.............
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

AAC stopped giving lead times a long time ago....

Here is a thread that may help
viewtopic.php?t=11278&postdays=0&postor ... nd&start=0
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
S-1
Silent Operator

Post by S-1 »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:All good things come to those who wait.

KAC have along wait.

There is a reason for this, IMHO is because it's top notch stuff that many people want.
It took less than a month for KAC to get my M4QD NT-4 to the dealer that I ordered it from. If it took longer I would understand because KAC ships THOUSANDS of them to the Military (AAC doesn't). So delivery times do depend on when Military orders come in.

AAC does make good products, but it would piss me off to no end if I got the run around on the phone that some you folks are dealing with. Just as Rob said, I would question why the wait is so long.
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

Because they do make stuff for the military. Check your facts.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

S-1 wrote:
ArevaloSOCOM wrote:All good things come to those who wait.

KAC have along wait.

It took less than a month for KAC to get my M4QD NT-4 to the dealer that I ordered it from. If it took longer I would understand because KAC ships THOUSANDS of them to the Military (AAC doesn't). So delivery times do depend on when Military orders come in.

AAC does make good products, but it would piss me off to no end if I got the run around on the phone that some you folks are dealing with. Just as Rob said, I would question why the wait is so long.
FWIW i have not had any long times, but again i have only ordred from a silencer maker direct (Degroat) or a Stocking dealer.

My KAC MK23 can is being order through a friend who I have no doubt will get the can to me as soon as KAC gets it to him.

I'm sure we all know that the NFA waits are bad enough as it is, but waiting even longer than needed can piss someone off something fierce and I totally understand that anger.

My suggestion is to order from a stocking dealer to reduce that long wait is all.

While AAC doesn't have the orders KAC does, they do have miltary sales they have to attend to first just ike KAC so we civs have to take a back seat..........

In the words of Markm "these things happen".........

:D
NFAtalk.org
S-1
Silent Operator

Post by S-1 »

lawless101aa wrote:Because they do make stuff for the military. Check your facts.
Sure they do, but to what extent? I'll check my facts when I'm shown facts from the company that produces the can, or the Military unit that orders them.

I'm skeptical when I here "oh the Military is buying them all" excuse to customers without proof of where the product's going (lots of companies do this). Is the Military ordering a s--t-load of M4-1000's causing the buyers to wait 5-6+ months for one? I don't think so. If they are, then show the proof of how many and to who. If they can't, I would look elsewhere.

Like I said in my previous post... I would not get upset for having to wait for a product such as a KAC M4QD. That's because I KNOW that they send SOCOM a s--t-load of cans because that is the issued suppressor.

At least give the buyer an accurate ship date and not the run around on the phone. It makes for good customer service.
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

No theyre buying the 2000 cans and they dont have as much time to make the 1000's. Also the customer service is fine. They dont need to give you a shipdate. Military takes precedence over civilian, there is a war going on. Our guys need the good stuff so you have to wait.
10XShooter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10XShooter »

I ordered my 1000 from a non-stocking dealer in Knoxville TN. If I could have found a stocking dealer and still received the same price I would have. Come to think of it, even the other dealer in Kville has only older AAC suppressors he is trying to sell off. I ordered mine Sept. 9th. I'll report back when I receive it to provide more input as to "lead time." This is my first NFA item. I hope it doesn't take that long... From what I hear it should be anyday...
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/Whatfreakinnameisnttaken/Rifleman-1.gif[/img]
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/Whatfreakinnameisnttaken/101stAirborne.jpg[/img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/Whatfreakinnameisnttaken/JungleExpert.jpg[/img]
Lock and Load!!!
S-1
Silent Operator

Post by S-1 »

lawless101aa wrote:No theyre buying the 2000 cans and they dont have as much time to make the 1000's. Also the customer service is fine. They dont need to give you a shipdate. Military takes precedence over civilian, there is a war going on. Our guys need the good stuff so you have to wait.
I know this. That is why I'm repeating for a third time that I don't have a problem waiting for something that is .mil issue.

OK. Who is buying the 200X series cans and how many? Is it 500 cans or 5,000? If the consumer knew that information, there would probably be less bitching and negativity about wait times.

I can care less one way or another, as I don't plan on buying a AAC can. Robs question/topic is an interesting one and I was just looking at it from a customer service standpoint.
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

You have no righ tot that information. That is probably classified. You dont need to know why as youve alreay stated you have no problem with wait times. I have had an enormous wait time, It sucks ass. But no one needs to know how much who is buying of what. Thats simply not your business whatsoever.
Qstick333

Post by Qstick333 »

I still stand by my original statement that if AAC would make known the timeframe for delivery, the customer would be better off. IMHO - accepting a delivery date of unknown duration that comes with zero ramifications if the wait is 2 moths or 2 years is unacceptable.

Perhaps I am in the vast minority, but my shooting friends and I all feel the same. We can't be alone. I only posted since IMHO this practice prevents potential customers from being customers...this is a major deterrent in my book.
S-1
Silent Operator

Post by S-1 »

lawless101aa wrote:You have no righ tot that information. That is probably classified. You dont need to know why as youve alreay stated you have no problem with wait times. I have had an enormous wait time, It sucks ass. But no one needs to know how much who is buying of what. Thats simply not your business whatsoever.
:roll:
OK Chief.

Just like it's "classified" that the JSOC units are issued the HK416? Or that they have Surefire cans?

Like I said, I don't care what AAC does as I don't plan on buying their suppressors. Just looking at what would help with all of the negativity about wait times on the boards.

:wink: