Scarmor option for those willing to wait?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

kalikraven
Elite Member

Scarmor option for those willing to wait?

Post by kalikraven »

Has this been considered? I have a 5.56 can on order with one of the boards dealers and one of the reasons why I went with AAC is the SCARmor finish. I understand that this may cause a delay in the shipping of my can but this does not bother me. In my opinion it is worth the wait. So I ask is this option completely gone? And if so will their be a price change?

Thank you.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

From what I have gathered so far, there will be no more SACRmor period.
They will not offer it at all. Atleast that is what kevin is saying.
ZOMBIE101
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ZOMBIE101 »

Is there an Alternative to this Scarmore finish....Ion Bond Maybee? :?:
[b][color=white]Keep your Cool...Dont Freeze[/color][/b]
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

ZOMBIE101 wrote:Is there an Alternative to this Scarmore finish....Ion Bond Maybee? :?:
problem with any type of aftermarket finishes is can the company that does the work legally take possesion of a NFA item, your local bumper plating shop could not.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
SicSemperTyrannis

Post by SicSemperTyrannis »

David Hineline wrote:
ZOMBIE101 wrote:Is there an Alternative to this Scarmore finish....Ion Bond Maybee? :?:
problem with any type of aftermarket finishes is can the company that does the work legally take possesion of a NFA item, your local bumper plating shop could not.
I know non SOTs can take possession of items for repair. Is adding a finish to a product not a repair?
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

what happened to the multi page discussion on this
[quote="Blaubart"]I'd love to screw with a boss like yours Steve.[/quote]
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

Doink67 wrote:what happened to the multi page discussion on this
Desaparecido
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Doink67 wrote:what happened to the multi page discussion on this
Discussion? What discussion? There never was a discussion. You are mistaken. :roll:
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
David Hineline wrote:
I know non SOTs can take possession of items for repair. Is adding a finish to a product not a repair?
You still have to convince your local muffler plating shop that they need to be a licened firearms manufacturer if not an SOT.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Sorry, but SCARmor is no longer available as a silencer finish. It will only happen again if the military goes to it.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

I happen to like the current black finish. Hit it with a bit of CLP and it REALLY turns jet black. :)
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

So my card promising my finish is no good? Can I trade my card for some Tshirts and stickers? :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

That means my 07 model M42K and 07 1/2ish 762SD with Scarmor are special AAC cans. 8)
DevL
Silent But Deadly

Post by DevL »

Hootiewho wrote:That means my 07 model M42K and 07 1/2ish 762SD with Scarmor are special AAC cans. 8)
Yeah but I have 08 baffles in my SPR/M4 AND the SCARmor. :twisted:
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

This makes AAC rifle silencers less desirable to me. Why bother with designing a superior product and using the best materials if you compromise on the finish?
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Because only OC civilians care about finish over performance. On a product marketed primarily to the military, they would not care, they are going to cover it with duct tape, paint it with krylon, scratch it up with sand intentionally.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

David Hineline wrote:Because only OC civilians care about finish over performance. On a product marketed primarily to the military, they would not care, they are going to cover it with duct tape, paint it with krylon, scratch it up with sand intentionally.
Obviously the commercial market is a concern to AAC, else this website wouldn't exist, nor would they ship their cans in such pretty packages and tubes. Obsessive civilians want a durable, corrosion resistant finish for their expensive silencers. I'm one of them.

SCARMOR should be available as a custom option. Once enough orders are placed requesting SCARMOR'ed cans, they can all be done in a batch. Does this not make sense?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

pbauw wrote:This makes AAC rifle silencers less desirable to me. Why bother with designing a superior product and using the best materials if you compromise on the finish?
Our problem is not having as much product as there is demand, not that people complain about GunKote. In other words, if we offered SCARmor we would sell fewer cans (due to delays), not more (due to people demanding it).
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

pbauw wrote:
David Hineline wrote:Because only OC civilians care about finish over performance. On a product marketed primarily to the military, they would not care, they are going to cover it with duct tape, paint it with krylon, scratch it up with sand intentionally.
Obviously the commercial market is a concern to AAC, else this website wouldn't exist, nor would they ship their cans in such pretty packages and tubes. Obsessive civilians want a durable, corrosion resistant finish for their expensive silencers. I'm one of them.

SCARMOR should be available as a custom option. Once enough orders are placed requesting SCARMOR'ed cans, they can all be done in a batch. Does this not make sense?
+1

There is demand without a doubt........
NFAtalk.org
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

pbauw wrote:

If there is such a great demand for the finish, then that's a new market nich for you to go into business and get rich. Get your 07/02 manuf. licenase and start putting the better finish on silencers.

AAC has to make thier own business decistions, there are many they have made I do not like, but I roll with the punches and move on, get over it, deal with it. That makes sense to me.
cryptopunk

Post by cryptopunk »

I'll second the post above. For those of us who purchased cans previously (I purchased a M4-2000) that were supposed to have SCARmor - but were delivered without the specified finish - will these be refinished according to the cards shipped with the cans?
'chaos, mr. who, that is our mode and modus.'
aroundlsu
Silent But Deadly

Post by aroundlsu »

cryptopunk wrote:I'll second the post above. For those of us who purchased cans previously (I purchased a M4-2000) that were supposed to have SCARmor - but were delivered without the specified finish - will these be refinished according to the cards shipped with the cans?
No it will not be.

"Specifications subject to change without notice" was their reason.

I didn't get a card but my manual says it is supposed to have SCARmor. Like I posted before, my finish has burned off with semi-auto only use.

kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

thats a tragedy for such a good looking gun, but I guess since its a more available finish, I would think it wouldnt be hard to just keep redoing by yourself (I have no idea what it takes to do, so that is just a complete assumption)
new-arguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by new-arguy »

The SCARmor was a good finish, but its going to come off if you shoot it often enough. Semi or not. I would lay odds the pic above is of a can that has been shot until it was waaaaay hot for a semi prolonged period of time. I can tell its a SBR (or pistol) which is harder on the can (and its finish). I can also tell its a POF (my apologies :D).

I use a SCARmor M42000 as well and the finish has come off at the center. The gun is also only semi auto, but it has been through at least 3 carbine classes and at least 3 demo's, including the '08 AAC Silencer Shoot and a LWRC demo at a Pat Rogers class. In both instances I pretty much let people shoot the crap out of the gun. I would estimate about 600-800 rounds went through the gun in about 90 minutes at that LWRC demo. Thats the date I noticed the finsh wear through.

I have a KAC can that I have worn the finish off the center too. Again, this can has been shot, a lot, primarily on short barrel rifles. Whatever...

To imply this is a tragedy of any sort indicates a great disparity between the way some people view their gear and others. Any item will wear with use. The degree of wear should be a direct reflection of its use. If you want a silencer finish that will not wear, shoot it on a bolt gun... chambered in .22lr. Only use light loads.

On the other hand, if you plan to use your gear, plan to see wear on the finish on high stress areas of all your gear. All of it. Regardless of the brand name finish. Period.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

touche...

all good points, but in the end people just want what they pay for... obviously no one is going to get it back and maybe complaining online makes them feel like everyone stood up for themselves or at least tried..

and I see what you are saying about even the scarmor wearing off, but it seems like you have put that can through a lot more than the average person would and their finish would prob still be on.. and again you cant compare the case in this rifle with everyone, not everyone has a SBR..

in the end, this topic is pretty much dead.. no one is still complaining (or at least im not) I have no prob with AAC or their decision, just wish that it could of came in a better fashion than after the fact and on a forum...