Supressors; 8 Quick Magazines and they are toast?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

Burke888

Supressors; 8 Quick Magazines and they are toast?

Post by Burke888 »

Hey guys,

I was over on another forum and saw a post about an AAC M4-1000 not being able to handle 8 quick magazines run through it. Basically a guy records a video of 8 thirty round magazines being fired through an HK416 equipped with an AAC M4-1000. Not only does the suppressor "fail" this test, but the author of the video goes on to say:
I feel that no silencer can pass this test.
Is this true?
My gut reaction is that the author is full of s**t, because clearly special ops teams are running suppressors. If a suppressor can't handle 8 quick 30 round magazines then I really doubt these things would continue to be used by elite troops if they fail after 240 rounds?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Link to the video for those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjiDtrA3P8A
Keaner
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Keaner »

That is very interesting, and looks similar to the test that Robert/AAC was talking about a while ago where some competitor's (Gemtech maybe?) can failed after 1000 rounds. At the time, it was requested that AAC release video of their cans accomplishing this test, which I don't remember ever seeing.

I would love to hear what was different in this test? It does seem like the can is failing way before the rocksett fails, and that is just the final nail in the coffin.

Robert-- I am very interested in any response you have to this one, especially based on their test methodology and conclusion.
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

Is this the video where the can came loose and had an end strike? If so, it would have nothing to do with the can failing, and everything to do with someone failing to attach it properly.....
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

This is the Oldest!

Where the hell have you guys been??? :roll:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Keaner
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Keaner »

Not into suppressors I guess...

Looks like the video was posted a year ago, I only started getting into the suppressor scene about 3 months ago so :-/
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

That can in the video was an older plug welded can and it is not as strong as the cans which have full circumferential weld on each baffle.

You would never want to do 8 quick mags on a 10 inch barrel with a suppressor that you want to keep. That being said, AAC does this 4 times in a row and does 8 quick mags on a 10 inch barrel, waits about 10 minutes, does it again, waits about 10 minutes, does it again, waits about 10 minutes, and then does it again. I cannot think of any failure with a can the way they are made now.

As for John saying no can will survive it -- it depends on how you define 'survive.'

John defines it as 'after the test, there is no reduction in sound performance.' In that case, he may be right. I would expect any can to be louder after that kind of stress.

However, we define 'passing' as having no failure such as parts breaking. In that sense, I know AAC can pass and believe KAC can.
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

John treated that can like a dirty whore!!!!
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Ah, the infamous "Buddy" test. Whatever can you use, it's best not to abuse it unless your life depends on it. Also, it's best not to discharge a firearm with something living downrange unless you want it to cease living.

The vid does make me a strong believer in perm-attaching QD mounts, though.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Glory hole

Dog running around.
NFAtalk.org
Outsydlooknin75
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Outsydlooknin75 »

In a firefight I can see running 8 mags back to back, but in normal every day use..... come on 240 rounds just as fast as you cna shoot them? Are you even doing anything more than being a bullet hose at that point?
If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English thank a soldier.
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

As far as I know the M4-1000 was never designed for full auto use (correct me if I'm wrong rsilvers), so in my opinion it should never be in a fire fight on a select fire weapon. I can't see any reason why you would need to have a suppressor that would take the abuse of full auto fire and come out as good as new because at that point your ass is on the line. Everything becomes disposable when you life is at stake.

That being said, I prefer the M4-Duece just because it will last longer for me and whatever I put it through. I like to know that my equipment is going to last longer than i may need ever need it to.

And I'm sure that there are a lot of cans that will take more abuse than this guy can put them through and still come out on top, such as the ones that are designed for machine guns.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Re: Supressors; 8 Quick Magazines and they are toast?

Post by renegade »

Burke888 wrote:Hey guys,

I was over on another forum and saw a post about an AAC M4-1000 not being able to handle 8 quick magazines run through it. Basically a guy records a video of 8 thirty round magazines being fired through an HK416 equipped with an AAC M4-1000. Not only does the suppressor "fail" this test, but the author of the video goes on to say:
I feel that no silencer can pass this test.
Is this true?
My gut reaction is that the author is full of s**t, because clearly special ops teams are running suppressors. If a suppressor can't handle 8 quick 30 round magazines then I really doubt these things would continue to be used by elite troops if they fail after 240 rounds?
Can anyone shed some light on this?
8 quick magazines will also destroy other parts on the gun such as a gas tube or barrel. This is way outside the sustained rate of fire for an M16. Piston guns will fare better, but they are not standard issue to all troops yet.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Wasn't the consensus that the mount started to spin off the barrel causing baffle strikes anyway? As such was it not a failure of the user not a failure of anything related to the can?
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

JohnnyC wrote:Wasn't the consensus that the mount started to spin off the barrel causing baffle strikes anyway? As such was it not a failure of the user not a failure of anything related to the can?
That is how I recall it.
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

I think you'd be surprised how small amount of rounds troops actually carry.
They generally don't do mag dumps back to back.

The normal dismounted load (ie. when your on foot) for a 48 hour patrol for a rifleman is 1 full mag in your weapon then 6 spare mags, plus a 200 SAW belt. Don't forget they're also carry things like Night Vison, food, water, breaching equipment a handgun and ammo for that.
SF guys may carry more, but I doubt it's more than 10 mags. That's a lot of extra weight to hump around.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

The sad thing is how fast it all gets shot. A few weeks ago I was playing OpFor as a M240 Gunner. I went thru 600 rounds in under 10 minutes in one small firefight. If you want a super durable can then get two made for a beltfed.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

AAA wrote:I think you'd be surprised how small amount of rounds troops actually carry.
They generally don't do mag dumps back to back.
My cousin says they are far more likely to carry extra grenades than extra 5.56 ammo when they go out. Both 40mm and M67.

Makes sense. Why go into a room where you know there are BGs when you can just chuck in a nade and mop up whatever is left. Especially with all the brick construction.
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

Crosshair wrote:My cousin says they are far more likely to carry extra grenades than extra 5.56 ammo when they go out. Both 40mm and M67.

Makes sense. Why go into a room where you know there are BGs when you can just chuck in a nade and mop up whatever is left. Especially with all the brick construction.
No, they don't.

Two reasons: Those "bricks" they're made of, not the equivalent of good old cinder blocks. They're only slightly tougher than dried mud. It's not going to end well for you.

Second, what do you think the media would do with footage, or even just a story, of US troops breaking into a some "poor innocent" Iraqi civilian's house and smearing his wife and kids onto the walls with a hand grenade while they slept?

Once upon a time, your way was the best way, but sadly that era is over.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
JAPII

Post by JAPII »

Outsydlooknin75 wrote:In a firefight I can see running 8 mags back to back, but in normal every day use..... come on 240 rounds just as fast as you cna shoot them? Are you even doing anything more than being a bullet hose at that point?

i would think if one were involved in a firefight necessitating the use of 8 mags back to back a supressor would be superfluous...
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

JAPII wrote:
Outsydlooknin75 wrote:In a firefight I can see running 8 mags back to back, but in normal every day use..... come on 240 rounds just as fast as you cna shoot them? Are you even doing anything more than being a bullet hose at that point?

i would think if one were involved in a firefight necessitating the use of 8 mags back to back a supressor would be superfluous...
Except at night.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

studly do-right wrote:As far as I know the M4-1000 was never designed for full auto use (correct me if I'm wrong rsilvers)
That is wrong. The M4-1000 is likely the most durable silencer you can buy, aside from the M4-2000 class AAC or KAC. It has double the wall thickness of the Ops Inc, has stainless which is about 20% stronger, and has Inconel 718 in it, and full circumferential welding. It is one MOFO durable can. It would be a $900+ silencer except we charge less for it.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Good then I should be happy with mine...
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Burke888

Post by Burke888 »

JohnnyC wrote:Wasn't the consensus that the mount started to spin off the barrel causing baffle strikes anyway? As such was it not a failure of the user not a failure of anything related to the can?
What is the proper way to keep the mount on the barrel? I thought AAC includes some Rocksett with their mounts?

Is the Rockset no longer sufficient? If so, what would be a good alternative for hard use?
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

studly do-right wrote:No, they don't.

Two reasons: Those "bricks" they're made of, not the equivalent of good old cinder blocks. They're only slightly tougher than dried mud. It's not going to end well for you.

Second, what do you think the media would do with footage, or even just a story, of US troops breaking into a some "poor innocent" Iraqi civilian's house and smearing his wife and kids onto the walls with a hand grenade while they slept?

Once upon a time, your way was the best way, but sadly that era is over.
OK, all I know is that he said they try to pack extra grenades more than 5.56. He didn't go into detail so I was speculating.

We already have smeared plenty of Iraqi civilians from the news stories I read. The media doesn't care too much about them. They only seem to be concerned with US wounded/dead.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Burke888 wrote:
What is the proper way to keep the mount on the barrel? I thought AAC includes some Rocksett with their mounts?

Is the Rockset no longer sufficient? If so, what would be a good alternative for hard use?
When Rocksett is properly installed it is very sufficient.
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!