Opinion Please

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

SturmGrenadier
Senior Silent Operator

Opinion Please

Post by SturmGrenadier »

I'm extremely green when it comes to silencers so please don't think I'm being too paranoid when asking this...just cautious.

I received my first last Friday....a Evo 9....the stocking dealer is over 2 hours 1-way from my home city....took 5 months for the F4 to come back so when I got the email I was a bit excited to say the least.

This suppressor was bought new in box and everything I seen at the dealer when I examined it during pick up, as far as I could tell, had no reason to question otherwise.

So after 2 more hours driving back home I take all the contents out and read the owner's manual. Use the tool and take apart the booster to examine...absolutely no wear and just a light oil coating on the piston.

Then I examine the muzzle and notice a light spot in the finish. I get a cotton swab and put a light drop of M-Pro 7 cleaner on it and rub. The spot stays there so I look closer at it and see it's in the finish.

I tried to take some photos of the spot to show the area of concern. I want to get feedback from the experts before getting excited about what could possibly be nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks In Adavance

It's been a week since I've had it but due to work, travel and an already planned vacation this past week I hadn't had a chance to post these pictures until today. I'm really wanting to shoot it this weekend but am holding off until I hear I have nothing to worry about.
snipersubsonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipersubsonic »

uhh thats a strike i would hold off shootin that can especially on the particular host u were using untill u get the combo checked out for concentricity to the bore.
Jeremy
ETA- re read the post where u said its supposed to be brand new and if thats true then i couldn't say but if its indeed used then the original statement stands.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

could be from the suppressor sitting on some kind of shaft when being anodized... maybe.
SturmGrenadier
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SturmGrenadier »

The Evo will be used on my 226 with a Sig factory threaded barrel.

Bullet strike was my worst case and what immediately jumped out in my mind but I have no idea what that looks like when it comes to suppresors and a graze if you will.

I also think it could be a blemish in the finish and nothing to worry about.

That's why I posted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Sorry, but that is a blemish in the anodize finish. Should be GTG for shooting.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

Yes that should be covered with carbon in no time. Nothing is more satisfying than well used gear.

Just do the normal alignement check with it mounted to the barrel and if it is clear straight through go give that thing a workout.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

Poacher wrote:Nothing is more satisfying than well used gear.

Just do the normal alignement check with it mounted to the barrel and if it is clear straight through go give that thing a workout.
Agreed 110% on the well used gear bit. I'm curious though about the alignment check and what that entails. Any link or information about that? I'm waiting for an Element, and I want to have everything in perfect working order when I get it. Call it OCD but I like to have everything set up as well as possible when I get to the fun part of the game.
SturmGrenadier
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SturmGrenadier »

Thanks Kevin...that is what I thought it was as no material loss was evident.

100% agree Poacher and thanks for the reaffirmation. If our little monsoon season ends here I intend to do just that!
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

its not scared of water. shoot it in the rain :lol:
Poacher

Post by Poacher »

Cj Two A wrote:
Poacher wrote:Nothing is more satisfying than well used gear.

Agreed 110% on the well used gear bit. I'm curious though about the alignment check and what that entails. Any link or information about that? I'm waiting for an Element, and I want to have everything in perfect working order when I get it. Call it OCD but I like to have everything set up as well as possible when I get to the fun part of the game.
It is just mounting the suppressor and looking down the barrel from the chamber out and making sure nothing is in the way. It sounds kinda unprecise but a quick check that will save you alot of heartache if the threads are not aligned with the bore.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

Poacher wrote:It is just mounting the suppressor and looking down the barrel from the chamber out and making sure nothing is in the way. It sounds kinda unprecise but a quick check that will save you alot of heartache if the threads are not aligned with the bore.
Wow. I was expecting some kind of bore rod check or something, lol. Guess sometimes the simple answer works. thanks
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Your photos are very good but a touch of over-sharpening. Did you sharpen the photo of does the import software do that?
AAA
Industry Professional

Post by AAA »

As kevin said, it looks like an anodizing blemish, more likely than not in the dyeing process, where it's colored black.
Tornado Technologies
Mailing Address:
22115 NW Imbrie Drive #181
Hillsboro OR 97124
PH: (503)690-8000
Web: www.tornado-technologies.com
SturmGrenadier
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SturmGrenadier »

Rob...I'll send you an email
DeltaPDesign
Silent Operator

Probably a racking mark from the anodizing process

Post by DeltaPDesign »

When a part is anodized, the part has to be racked. This is usually on a rack that has to touch the part somewhere. An ID surface like this would be preferable.

Anodizing lines get things like this once in a while, no matter how tight the controls.

If it were mine I would go shoot it: the carbon will make it black!