18T vs 51T blackout?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

18T vs 51T blackout?

Post by m1garand30064 »

Hello everyone! I am new to the field and I am pretty much set on getting a 762SD. I want to use it on a Remington .308 LTR, M1a, HK G3, a bushy 20 inch .223 AR, a POF 415 P12X, and possibly an AK.

Obviously I love the fact that the 762SD can be mounted on all the guns I have listed above.

My question is the mounting system. I understand right now you need an 18T blackout mounting system. Are there any drawbacks or problems with this one (such as the can coming lose?) I hear that they are switching to a 51T system next year. What are the major advantages of this? Will I still be able to mount it to all the guns listed above? Is it worth me waiting or is the 18T more than adequate? Thanks for all the help!!!! :D
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

I have a follow up question. It seems like the 51 tooth design will give a more stable mounting option.

When will the 51T ratchet style 762SD be available? I know you all said 2010 model but does that mean January or some later time in 2010? I dont know how patient I can be!!!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

The 762-SD is a great choice for all those uses.

The 51-tooth mount isn't "more stable", but the ratchet teeth design completely prevents the can from unscrewing. It is just a little more foolproof than the spring tension of the 18-tooth mount.

That said, I would not personally hesitate to run the 18 tooth mount version. If you find one in stock, I would pick it up.

No timelines on any of the new releases, as we are moving to our new facility in December and will have to get all that done. That said, once we are there and running, we will have 4 times the manufacturing resources and so aim to have our cans in stock and ready ASAP.
Kick Ass Design
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

*cough cough* 51 tooth 762SD M14 brake mounts *cough cough* :lol:
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Thanks very much for the reply!

Are there any recommendations on where to Take my Remington LTR .308 to get the barrel threaded and the blackout flash hider installed? I understand concentricity is extremely important and I am not sure if a normal smith is capable of this.

Also, can I trust the threading on my HK 91, M1a, and POF 415 to be in spec enough to mount the blackout and not have a problem with the suppressor? Is there any recommendations there? Thanks again! :)
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

http://www.tornado-technologies.com/
The best in the world for threading.

Trust no factory threads for concentricity. Verify all with a thread gauge and visually inspect all mounted silencers thoroughly, before firing. Of 4 rifles I put my 762-SD on, 2 were factory threaded already. Both were way off from being threaded concentric to the bore and I had to replace a barrel and cut & re-thread the other.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

700PSS wrote:http://www.tornado-technologies.com/
The best in the world for threading.

Trust no factory threads for concentricity. Verify all with a thread gauge and visually inspect all mounted silencers thoroughly, before firing. Of 4 rifles I put my 762-SD on, 2 were factory threaded already. Both were way off from being threaded concentric to the bore and I had to replace a barrel and cut & re-thread the other.
THanks for the info. Where can I get a thread gauge? It would really suck to have to rebarrel my POF since it has a rock 5r barrel on it.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

On the thread gauge, I don't even have one myself and have no experience using one yet. I know it's an important instrument though. I would just take your rifles to a qualified, experienced gunsmith/machinist with thorough knowledge of threading. They should definitely have a thread gauge and know how to use it.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

700PSS wrote:On the thread gauge, I don't even have one myself and have no experience using one yet. I know it's an important instrument though. I would just take your rifles to a qualified, experienced gunsmith/machinist with thorough knowledge of threading. They should definitely have a thread gauge and know how to use it.
Thanks again for the info!!! I see you are in lawrenceville. I live in Roswell. Can you recommend someone around the Atlanta/metro area?

Also do you know of any good gun ranges that have 500+ yard ranges within an hour driving distance? Thanks again!!
killowatt
Silent Operator

Post by killowatt »

I used Patriot Arms for threading.http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/

Creekside is a great outdoor range close to you.http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com/
zenghost

Post by zenghost »

+1 on Tornado Technologies for threading. Don't let word of a prolonged wait to get your barrel back deter you. I sent some work recently and had about a two week turnaround. I was very pleased with all aspects of the project. Mike's work is worth waiting for however IMHO.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Tornado Technologies is the best there is. However, I did have "Rusty" at David's Gun Room in Norcross thread a couple of Rem 700s and cut & re-thread my PTR-91. He's also done other work for me in the last year or more. An excellent gunsmith.

Another range:
http://www.gunsitehills.com/
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

Never heard of them before.. going to have to look them up when I'm about to thread my 308.