AAC barrels at Midway

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: AAC barrels at Midway

Post by silencertalk »

I consider these premium barrels. They are made to AAC engineering drawings on CNC equipment which is why the price is not high considering their features (I paid $796 for an AI barrel with a thread protector). They benefit from us having access to Remington drawings for fit but the chambers do not use Remington reamers. They also benefit from our knowledge to hold threads concentric to the bore, and the drawing requires it.
cpti

Post by cpti »

These are stainless or CM?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Bolt guns barrels are 4140, AR barrels are 4150.

Because you are asking - that makes me think I need to clarify - CM is better for barrels which are nitrided. Stainless is only barrel for raw barrels.
cpti

Post by cpti »

I was looking at picking up the medium contour barrel, cutting it to 14.5, pinning a 51T, and fluting it to reduce weight. I'm sure the cutting wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to worry about recoating 4140.

Maybe I'll just cut/pin rather than flute.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If you fluted it you would need to Gunkote it. Carbide tools would be needed.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

That black nitride is some badass stuff. Extremely hard and corrosion resistant. It will destroy most tools. I would not mess with it. Why not just get the 16" light contour barrel and be happy?
cpti

Post by cpti »

700PSS wrote:That black nitride is some badass stuff. Extremely hard and corrosion resistant. It will destroy most tools. I would not mess with it. Why not just get the 16" light contour barrel and be happy?
I'm shooting almost exclusively subsonic with this, so I don't need the extra length; I'd go with the LW profile, but it doesn't have the material to accommodate threading if you chop it. I even considered going shorter (11-12" or so) and SBR'ing it. I still may, but I don't know if I want to go through the paperwork. In either case, I wanted to flute out the medium contour to drop weight. I suppose chopping 4" or so off would bring the medium contour to almost the LW contour weight.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

You might be better off with a custom barrel or maybe one of the many (growing number) of 300 BLK barrel makers.
cpti

Post by cpti »

700PSS wrote:You might be better off with a custom barrel or maybe one of the many (growing number) of 300 BLK barrel makers.
I'm sure you're right. Between the cutting/shipping I'd be at about $500 for my barrel.
cpti

Post by cpti »

One more thing,

How do the contours on the AAC barrels line up with the OEM contours?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The medium barrel is heavier than an OEM varmint contour near the action (but makes up for it later on with the taper), and so unless you get an M24 type stock, you can expect to need some inletting.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Is there any downside to the 1:8" twist if I'm going to use 175 gr. SMK's supersonic exclusively?
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I highly doubt it.