AAC 7.62 Suppressor options

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

ick
Silent But Deadly

AAC 7.62 Suppressor options

Post by ick »

I own a Gemtech G5 (which is 5.56 of course). Using that suppressor and reading posts on here is the scope of my suppressor understanding.

I am looking to add a 7.62 suppressor to my collection for use on my FNAR (.308) AND 7.62 (or similar) semi-automatic carbines I now own or may purchase in the future. I do NOT desire to use it on an AK47. I can imagine that in the future years I may purchase additional rifles of other calibers.

I don't want to get "tunnel vision" like I did with my 5.56 suppressor and box myself into a bore size if I don't have to. I assume there might be something more versatile I can acquire that might be better long-term solution.... and allow me to use it with other calibers. Please correct my thinking here if I am off-base.

As far as AAC I was looking at the options and I see three:

300 SD MSRP $1.795
762 SD MSRP $850
762-SDN-6 MSRP $1,050

300 SD
I am not sure I appreciate the difference of the 300 SD and what exactly that is designed for given my intended usage. I really like the weight and size and the cost is not prohibitive for something that is going to last me a lifetime. I would rather spend the extra coin and pick up improved size and weight. Is that thinking accurate?

762SD and 762SDN-6
I really don't appreciate the design differences here. Obviously their characteristics are quite different... but I really don't understand why.

muzzle brake
I see the 300 SD uses a 90T muzzle brake. I see the 51T muzzle brake on the site and all over the place on the web that works with the ratchet mount of the 762SD and 762SDN-6... but I don't see anything for the 90Tfor use with the 300 SD. What is up with that?
-----
Ick
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: AAC 7.62 Suppressor options

Post by JasonAAC »

ick wrote:I own a Gemtech G5 (which is 5.56 of course). Using that suppressor and reading posts on here is the scope of my suppressor understanding.

I am looking to add a 7.62 suppressor to my collection for use on my FNAR (.308) AND 7.62 (or similar) semi-automatic carbines I now own or may purchase in the future. I do NOT desire to use it on an AK47. I can imagine that in the future years I may purchase additional rifles of other calibers.

I don't want to get "tunnel vision" like I did with my 5.56 suppressor and box myself into a bore size if I don't have to. I assume there might be something more versatile I can acquire that might be better long-term solution.... and allow me to use it with other calibers. Please correct my thinking here if I am off-base.

As far as AAC I was looking at the options and I see three:

300 SD MSRP $1.795
762 SD MSRP $850
762-SDN-6 MSRP $1,050

300 SD
I am not sure I appreciate the difference of the 300 SD and what exactly that is designed for given my intended usage. I really like the weight and size and the cost is not prohibitive for something that is going to last me a lifetime. I would rather spend the extra coin and pick up improved size and weight. Is that thinking accurate?

762SD and 762SDN-6
I really don't appreciate the design differences here. Obviously their characteristics are quite different... but I really don't understand why.

muzzle brake
I see the 300 SD uses a 90T muzzle brake. I see the 51T muzzle brake on the site and all over the place on the web that works with the ratchet mount of the 762SD and 762SDN-6... but I don't see anything for the 90Tfor use with the 300 SD. What is up with that?
A 762 can is a very versatile choice, it'll work well on 7.62 and 5.56 and everything in between- 6.5, 6.8, etc.

The 300-SD is primarily meant for bolt gun precision use. It is very light and very quiet, but it's titanium construction will not hold up very well to heavy rapid semi auto use. Good call on the muzzle brake, it is not on the site yet. It looks similar to the 51T brake, but is larger and obviously has more/finer teeth.

The 762-SD and 762-SDN-6 are both good options.

The weight difference is within .78 of an ounce.

The 762-SD has a tube, baffles and endcap made of stainless steel, with a blast baffle made of Inconel for durability.

The 762-SDN-6 has a stainless tube and then ALL the baffles and the endcap are made of Inconel. It is also about an inch shorter.

It will be a more durable silencer over time, especially in short barrel applications. that said, the 762-SD is tough, and both are warranted for full-auto use.

The other difference is in performance. The 762-SDN-6 is quieter on short barrels up to 16 inches or so, then they match each other's performance and when you get out to 20 + inches, the 762-SD starts to be a little quieter.

Hope that helps.
Kick Ass Design
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I called my guy on the 762SDN-6 and he can get me one for a reasonable price. When he started asking me about the mount it seems I wassomewhat confused (no surprise). When I called him I thought it took the 51T mount but now I see all it says is "ratchet mount". What exact mount works with this suppressor?
-----
Ick
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

JasonAAC wrote: The other difference is in performance. The 762-SDN-6 is quieter on short barrels up to 16 inches or so, then they match each other's performance and when you get out to 20 + inches, the 762-SD starts to be a little quieter.
Question... For 300 BLACKOUT on a Remington 7 or 700 platform (16") which would be quieter: 726SDN6 or Cyclone?

Have you shot the Cyclone on less then 16" barreled 300 BLACKOUT and if so, how was the performance?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

ick wrote:I called my guy on the 762SDN-6 and he can get me one for a reasonable price. When he started asking me about the mount it seems I wassomewhat confused (no surprise). When I called him I thought it took the 51T mount but now I see all it says is "ratchet mount". What exact mount works with this suppressor?
The 726SD and 762SDN-6 both use the 51 tooth mounts, which they call a "ratchet mount" because of the tight teeth pattern like the ratchet and noise that it makes.

NOTE: older 762SD's used the 18 tooth mounts
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

ick wrote:I called my guy on the 762SDN-6 and he can get me one for a reasonable price. When he started asking me about the mount it seems I wassomewhat confused (no surprise). When I called him I thought it took the 51T mount but now I see all it says is "ratchet mount". What exact mount works with this suppressor?
Like Chris said, the RATCHET mount (on the can) works with 51-tooth mounts. It's the alternative to the older 18-tooth Spring Mount.

So, yes, you can use any 51-tooth mount- the BLACKOUT flash hider, muzzle brake, or the Brakeout combo.
Kick Ass Design
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Excellent, just didn't want to end up with the wrong thing. The whole transaction is on hold until you guys start the civilian run anyhow.... so I will probably wait to purchase a mount until at least that is announced.
-----
Ick
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

chrismartin wrote:
JasonAAC wrote: The other difference is in performance. The 762-SDN-6 is quieter on short barrels up to 16 inches or so, then they match each other's performance and when you get out to 20 + inches, the 762-SD starts to be a little quieter.
Question... For 300 BLACKOUT on a Remington 7 or 700 platform (16") which would be quieter: 726SDN6 or Cyclone?

Have you shot the Cyclone on less then 16" barreled 300 BLACKOUT and if so, how was the performance?
Chris- versus any of the QD 762s, the CYCLONE will be quieter, but not by a ton.

Yes, on the SBRs, the CYCLONE-K is similar in sound to the 762-SDN-6, and the CYCLONE is slightly quieter.

Here's a K on an 8" PWS in 300 BLK:
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

ick wrote:Excellent, just didn't want to end up with the wrong thing. The whole transaction is on hold until you guys start the civilian run anyhow.... so I will probably wait to purchase a mount until at least that is announced.
I will check on that, because I think the mil orders are mostly done and we are starting on the CIV cans for an end of march delivery...
Kick Ass Design
flyshooter007001

Post by flyshooter007001 »

Jason, if I was looking for a can that would mainly go on a .308 bolt action rifle with a 20+ barrel, but that I would also want to switch between .243 and .223 bolt action, and maybe even a semi AR style rifle, what would be the best suppressor for that role? Would I have a problem with the AAC 300-SD doing speed drills with a semi because its Ti?

Thanks.
FedDC
Silent But Deadly

Post by FedDC »

What about a SCAR-H-SD?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

FedDC wrote:What about a SCAR-H-SD?
Good option if you can find one, but since these are not/have not recently been made for civilians, they are not a practical choice. there is also an issue with less flexibility in terms of mount options- needing 2.5" of clear barrel, only flash hider mounts, etc.
Last edited by JasonAAC on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

flyshooter007001 wrote:Jason, if I was looking for a can that would mainly go on a .308 bolt action rifle with a 20+ barrel, but that I would also want to switch between .243 and .223 bolt action, and maybe even a semi AR style rifle, what would be the best suppressor for that role? Would I have a problem with the AAC 300-SD doing speed drills with a semi because its Ti?

Thanks.
I personally wouldn't want to run a Ti suppressor through any speed drills, there is just too much chance of overheating it.

It's would be great on any of the hosts you mentioned except for the semi AR during fast drills. If you throw that into the mix, either a 762-SD or a 762-SDN-6 would be better choices for you.

Now if I were MIL and didn't pay for my equip, i'd have no problem running any can hard. ;)
Kick Ass Design
FedDC
Silent But Deadly

Post by FedDC »

JasonAAC wrote:
Good option if you can find one, but since these are not/have not recently been made for civilians, they are not a practical choice. there is also an issue with less flexibility in terms of mount options- needing 2.5" of clear barrel, only flash hider mounts, etc.

Why no civillian sales? Seems like a great can.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

FedDC wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:

Why no civillian sales? Seems like a great can.
Well, the tech has advanced, and all our production of them goes to the MIL.

for civilians, and MIL customers that are not part of that contract, the new 762-SDN-6 offers a can that is much shorter, lighter, has more mounting options, and sounds just as good.
Kick Ass Design
krecon1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by krecon1 »

JasonAAC wrote:
I snagged one in December NIB for $1150. Some guy is selling a used one on Gunbroker; buy it now of $3000 :roll:

Not sure what rifle this will go on, but will more than likely go on the REPR.
flyshooter007001

Post by flyshooter007001 »

Hell yea!!! :twisted: Go LWRC!!! :mrgreen:
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

Ok guys some help here...
Im looking for can for 7.62 AR and my 300WM.
Would consider the threaded mounts? rather have QD.
The weight of the 300SD is appealing. would this be the best
can for the application.?
HALO, G5, OBIID, SF762K, AACSDN6
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jcsparky wrote:Ok guys some help here...
Im looking for can for 7.62 AR and my 300WM.
Would consider the threaded mounts? rather have QD.
The weight of the 300SD is appealing. would this be the best
can for the application.?
It depends how fast you shoot.

The 300-SD is awesome, but due to it's titanium construction, it's better suited for slower-fire like bolt guns.

If you fire your 762 AR rapidly ever, you'd be better served in both applications by the 762-SD or 762-SDN-6.

What barrel length on the 300WM?
Kick Ass Design
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

The bolt is 24" right now.
I was thinkin of cutting and crowning down to 22"
Its a Browning A-Bolt
So the SD 7.62's are rated for the .300wm ??
saintwar

Post by saintwar »

I bought cyclone-k for my Ar 10 and love it and also use it on my bolt gun.
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

So Jason your saying THe 7.62 SDN-6 is rated 300Wm with Barrel lenght of 24"?
I might not whack it off.. LOL
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jcsparky wrote:So Jason your saying THe 7.62 SDN-6 is rated 300Wm with Barrel lenght of 24"?
Yes. With the 'N-6. You will be OK on a 22" as well, but the longer barrel will be a little quieter and a little gentler on the can.

Do NOT do this with the 762-SDN.
Kick Ass Design
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jcsparky wrote:So Jason your saying THe 7.62 SDN-6 is rated 300Wm with Barrel lenght of 24"?
Yes. With the 'N-6. You will be OK on a 22" as well, but the longer barrel will be a little quieter and a little gentler on the can.

Do NOT do this with the 762-SDN.
Kick Ass Design
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

Gotcha..
Is there a process for cleaning.. or how often ?
Maintenance?
thx