Ti-rant .45 end cap wont budge

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

MG94

Ti-rant .45 end cap wont budge

Post by MG94 »

Just got a new Ti-Rant .45 and wanted to put anti-sieze on the threads before I fired it. Rear cap came off no problem, front cap wont budge. Went to my AAC Dealer and he had a tool for the front cap. Soaked the end cap in penetrating oil, still wont move. Now my Dealer is going to send it back. Is there something missing here? Dealer took other Ti-Rants apart with no problem. 3rd AAC can I own, great way to start out....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Ti-rant .45 end cap wont budge

Post by Bendersquint »

MG94 wrote:Just got a new Ti-Rant .45 and wanted to put anti-sieze on the threads before I fired it. Rear cap came off no problem, front cap wont budge. Went to my AAC Dealer and he had a tool for the front cap. Soaked the end cap in penetrating oil, still wont move. Now my Dealer is going to send it back. Is there something missing here? Dealer took other Ti-Rants apart with no problem. 3rd AAC can I own, great way to start out....
Was your TiRant a documented take apart can?

If not its left over old stock before all became take aparts...

-B
MG94

Post by MG94 »

Shipped into to my Dealer with a new batch of several Ti-Rants that all came apart. If they stuffed old stock with new and did not mention it I will be pissed because I waited for the new batch specifically for total take down. Dealer is contacting AAC today. We think the metal on the end cap is either galled or cross threaded and somebody cranked the end cap into place. Will have to wait and see.

Thanks
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

MG94 wrote:Shipped into to my Dealer with a new batch of several Ti-Rants that all came apart. If they stuffed old stock with new and did not mention it I will be pissed because I waited for the new batch specifically for total take down. Dealer is contacting AAC today. We think the metal on the end cap is either galled or cross threaded and somebody cranked the end cap into place. Will have to wait and see.

Thanks
If it shipped from AAC to your dealer anytime after Feb 2011, you should be fine. AAC will take care of you.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
MG94

Post by MG94 »

Dealer talked to AAC today and obtained a RMA #. Off to AAC tomorrow.

Thanks
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

That almost makes me wonder if AAC could convert the old cans.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

copenhagen wrote:That almost makes me wonder if AAC could convert the old cans.

Could? possibly. Will? no. AFAIK.

Bendersquint (here on ST) at Stalking Rhino Inc will hook you up though.
Kick Ass Design
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Actually Bendersquint quit doing Ti-Rants. He told me it is too difficult not to bugger up the end cap. I am going to have to try to get a tool made and do it myself I guess. I'd no questions asked pay AAC 200 bucks to convert mine and I'm sure I ain't the only guy who'd do that.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

OP, did AAC take care of you? I know they will assuming your can was sold as a take apart model. If it was not, there is hope for you: I got into mine (sold as a sealed can) this weekend with zero damage and others have too. I had PAIN, a member here make me a sturdy tool (not like that little flimsy disassemble tool- this honker was a real jailbreaker):

MG94

Post by MG94 »

Good News !. AAC took care of me on this issue. Outstanding Customer Service. Thanks Mike !! :D
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I bought mine from the Major in April of this year. He said they were all take apart models.

Now, I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and my end cap looks exactly like the one in the post above.

Where is it stated that it is a documented take apart model? Or how can I tell exactly?

TIA 8)
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sigproshooter wrote:I bought mine from the Major in April of this year. He said they were all take apart models.

Now, I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and my end cap looks exactly like the one in the post above.

Where is it stated that it is a documented take apart model? Or how can I tell exactly?

TIA 8)
Supposedly the documentation is supposed to have instructions on how to orient the baffles thats how you know.

I have seen quite a few TiRants that were supposedly take apart and weren't and some that were that had the non o-ring endcap.

Try and open it if it really is a take down just a pound of muscle will get it open if not then you are out of luck.

-B
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Okay. I didn't see anything where it mentioned baffle orientation in my booklet included with the can.

A local dealer has a tool coming soon, hopefully it is a take apart. It does have the o-ring in the endcap if that matters.

If not, I am going to be seriously aggravated because of a bait and switch.

Thanks for the help.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Sigproshooter wrote:Okay. I didn't see anything where it mentioned baffle orientation in my booklet included with the can.

A local dealer has a tool coming soon, hopefully it is a take apart. It does have the o-ring in the endcap if that matters.

Thanks for the help.

How do you know it has an o-ring if the cap won't budge?
Kick Ass Design
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sigproshooter wrote:Okay. I didn't see anything where it mentioned baffle orientation in my booklet included with the can.

Thanks for the help.
how do you know it has an oring in the endcap if you can't take the endcap off?

I have customers that purchased a Gen2 Evo and was delivered a Gen1!

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JasonM wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Beat me by one second, you got fast fingers Jason!

-B
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Bendersquint wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Beat me by one second, you got fast fingers Jason!

-B
:)

For more info OP- a very few of the 2011/Takeapart Ti-RANTs actually did ship with "regular" Ti-RANT manuals earlier this year. But i think by April they were shipping with a manual card entitled Take Apart Ti-RANT. MOD.2011
Kick Ass Design
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JasonM wrote: :)

For more info OP- a very few of the 2011/Takeapart Ti-RANTs actually did ship with "regular" Ti-RANT manuals earlier this year. But i think by April they were shipping with a manual card entitled Take Apart Ti-RANT. MOD.2011
I wish I could verify that since we saw one that transferred last month and put on the Form3 in August with the old endcap and no take apart manual.

I wish all the pieces flowed like they should. I hate it when stuff slips through the crack. It was a take apart just no documentation as such which worked for the customer as they paid $150 less because it WASN'T a take apart! SCORE!

-B
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Bendersquint wrote:I wish I could verify that
It's verified, call mers if you want more info, he might be able to get you specific dates, numbers, etc.
Bendersquint wrote:I wish all the pieces flowed like they should. I hate it when stuff slips through the crack. It was a take apart just no documentation as such which worked for the customer as they paid $150 less because it WASN'T a take apart! SCORE!
Take apart and non-takeapart were/are the same price. Were they getting a deal because it was supposedly old?
Kick Ass Design
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JasonM wrote: Take apart and non-takeapart were/are the same price. Were they getting a deal because it was supposedly old?

yup, dealer said when it came in he read the papers and didn't feel right selling it for the same cost so he gave the guy 150 off towards "jailbreaking it". Form came back took it home and the endcap came right off!

His lucky break.

-B
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

JasonM wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Guess I thought you meant the asap end of the can. Obviously I don't know about the muzzle end of the can yet.

Sometimes when you sleep 4 hrs a day and work 72-80 hrs a week on a swing shift,,you miss the little things. :mrgreen:
Sun Tzu
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

For more info OP- a very few of the 2011/Takeapart Ti-RANTs actually did ship with "regular" Ti-RANT manuals earlier this year. But i think by April they were shipping with a manual card entitled Take Apart Ti-RANT. MOD.2011[/quote]

Mine didn't.
Sun Tzu
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

MG94 wrote:Good News !. AAC took care of me on this issue. Outstanding Customer Service. Thanks Mike !! :D

What ended up being the issue? Cross threaded endcap or was it a non take apart model?
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I was kinda wondering the same thing,,, :?
Sun Tzu
mososodbob

Post by mososodbob »

folks...sorry if this topic is addressed already...my internet search showed limited posting on this...

It is now JUN 2017 and I had my Ti-RANT 45 since Jul 2011. Just recently obtained the end-cap tool and attempted to remove it for servicing. No Luck in getting it loose either. Have not try the boiling water technique. Have soaked the end cap portion with liberal amount of Kroil. Have end cap removal tool in a vise and used a strap wrench on the body of the can. The strap slips and still no positive movement. Don't really want to use any more aggressive tools than this...

The serial number on my can is TR45 1xxx. Guessing it is an early one and not serviceable? Can anyone confirm this.

Have contacted AAC Customer service and still waiting on an answer to my serial number question and if they will service the can... they did reply to clean it with Kroil or Simple Green. Not much more info than that, so far. Hopefully an AAC Rep is monitoring this forum and can expedite an answer...maybe the moderator SilentMike?

Will doing a "Dip" cleaning be enough? I have no more than 1000 rounds thru the can...mostly with cast bullet loads. So there will be both carbon and lead fouling. I finally got the adapter for 1/2-28 and plan to shoot .22LR out of it using my AR carbine. But want to service it after using the .22 ammo...reason for the need to disassemble the can to do needed servicing.