Ti-rant .45 end cap wont budge

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ti-rant .45 end cap wont budge

Post by rimshaker »

mososodbob wrote:folks...sorry if this topic is addressed already...my internet search showed limited posting on this...

It is now JUN 2017 and I had my Ti-RANT 45 since Jul 2011. Just recently obtained the end-cap tool and attempted to remove it for servicing. No Luck in getting it loose either. Have not try the boiling water technique. Have soaked the end cap portion with liberal amount of Kroil. Have end cap removal tool in a vise and used a strap wrench on the body of the can. The strap slips and still no positive movement. Don't really want to use any more aggressive tools than this...

The serial number on my can is TR45 1xxx. Guessing it is an early one and not serviceable? Can anyone confirm this.

Have contacted AAC Customer service and still waiting on an answer to my serial number question and if they will service the can... they did reply to clean it with Kroil or Simple Green. Not much more info than that, so far. Hopefully an AAC Rep is monitoring this forum and can expedite an answer...maybe the moderator SilentMike?

Will doing a "Dip" cleaning be enough? I have no more than 1000 rounds thru the can...mostly with cast bullet loads. So there will be both carbon and lead fouling. I finally got the adapter for 1/2-28 and plan to shoot .22LR out of it using my AR carbine. But want to service it after using the .22 ammo...reason for the need to disassemble the can to do needed servicing.
Soak the front cap in WD-40 overnight (or even longer). Try the vise method again with the removal tool. But this time just use some heavy duty nitrile gloves instead of a strap wrench for grip. Hunch over the can and use your entire body weight for leverage. Should be enough to break the old red loctite seal, if any. This was the old suggestion made by Mike Mers a long time ago when he was still at AAC and moderating this forum.