Dept of Corrections testing new Rifles

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Dept of Corrections testing new Rifles

Post by Shamrock-MP »

The DOC in an unnamed state is now testing new cartridges for use in towers. The current tower rifle is the Ruger Mini 14 chambered in 223. They are testing an AR platform chambered in 9mm. Someone subtly suggested that the DOC may want to consider the 300 blk and that someone will pursue the issue further.

The switch is due to civilian neighborhoods encroaching on the maximum range of the current rifle in use. Insurance companies have a strangle hold on the underfunded facilities and are forcing them into an unsafe reduction in firepower, which they use to protect the community from those held inside the facilities.

I think that the subsonic 300 cartridges will be vastly superior to the 9mm in this application AND meet the maximum range requirements of the bloodsucking insurance companies.

So, any suggestions?
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dept of Corrections testing new Rifles

Post by Ctaylor »

Sounds like a perfect fit, tell them to get in touch with AAC ASAP!
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

There has been extensive testing on this, 5.56mm is MUCH safer then 9mm. When modern 5.56mm encounters the materials in your average home construction it fragments loosing power to nearly harmless levels, while 9mm (fired from both handguns and subguns) and 12ga shotgun (everything except bird shot) continues to penetrate until it looses power.

Change the guns to AR-15s with 1:8" twist or faster and buy better ammo. Problem solved, and they can continue to use their current stash of 223 for training until they are out.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

PPGMD wrote:There has been extensive testing on this, 5.56mm is MUCH safer then 9mm. When modern 5.56mm encounters the materials in your average home construction it fragments loosing power to nearly harmless levels, while 9mm (fired from both handguns and subguns) and 12ga shotgun (everything except bird shot) continues to penetrate until it looses power.

Change the guns to AR-15s with 1:8" twist or faster and buy better ammo. Problem solved, and they can continue to use their current stash of 223 for training until they are out.
Yup!

Definitely don't use subsonic in 300 BLK. Now, THAT will penetrate.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

They want to go 9mm AR from the towers? That's just stupid.

Switching to good varmint rounds from the Minis they already have would be safer and more effective and cheaper. Maybe a compressed powdered metal frangible would be more 'high speed low drag' but good old fashioned hollow points screaming fast is going to prevent ricochet and over penetration. Might have to go with 45 or 50 grain with the twist in those old Rugers, but it's still better than a 9mm at 200 yards.

I have no idea how 300BLK does as far as penetrating house materials. I'm hoping that testing has been done and that we are soon to see that info posted.

The idea of switching to 9mm rifles from .223 rifles for the reasons given could only have been dreamed up by beurocrats.
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

I think FBI studied this as well as the International Wound Ballistic Association (Fackler).
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
Dan
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dan »

my whisper rifle is a ricochet machine with subsonics. Even after going through a target you can hear the projectiles going all over the place.

They would be best advised to stay with 223 frang.