What are the differences between the 51T and 90T systems?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

LA_357SIG

What are the differences between the 51T and 90T systems?

Post by LA_357SIG »

Can a 51T suppressor be switched to 91T? Or are the mounts different besides the tooth layout?
Last edited by LA_357SIG on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: What are the differences between the 51T and 91T systems

Post by 57fairlane »

They are different . . . 51t uses the lead-in for the teeth on the flash hider/brake as the taper surface.

90t uses some real estate before you get to the teeth for the taper bearing surface. Also the thread/pitch is different.
Elessar
Silent Operator

Post by Elessar »

Is anyone else bummed about yet another mounting system? I'm all for product improvement, but it does give me pause. I was planning on going with AAC for my next can (7.62) since I alreay own an mf2000 and mounts. I figured it made sense to keep everything as compatible as possible.

Now, I assume that at some point the 51T products will go the way of the 18T stuff. Now, I don't feel near the need to find a compatible 51T 7.62 can.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Elessar wrote:Is anyone else bummed about yet another mounting system?
I just think its part of it . . . the industry is such a niche market that ANY bad PR means you have to change immediately or you're done. I'm sure AAC learned this the hard way with the Prodigy . . . that moniker is probably dead now after 3 revisions.

A handful of people whined and complained about their 51t mount being "loose" despite the vast majority of people not having any problems.

SOP is complain on the internet first, then call the MFG and get it fixed.

Silencerco's time is coming . . . the saker mount will get FUBAR'd by people cross-threading the MAAD or whatever, the endcap will come loose, people will try improvised spanner tools, etc . . . at that time people will start threads on here/ARFCOM/NFAtalk/etc and then despite silencerco's best intentions the word will be based on a few people who complain the loudest.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

57fairlane wrote:
Elessar wrote:Is anyone else bummed about yet another mounting system?
I just think its part of it . . . the industry is such a niche market that ANY bad PR means you have to change immediately or you're done. I'm sure AAC learned this the hard way with the Prodigy . . . that moniker is probably dead now after 3 revisions.

A handful of people whined and complained about their 51t mount being "loose" despite the vast majority of people not having any problems.

SOP is complain on the internet first, then call the MFG and get it fixed.

Silencerco's time is coming . . . the saker mount will get FUBAR'd by people cross-threading the MAAD or whatever, the endcap will come loose, people will try improvised spanner tools, etc . . . at that time people will start threads on here/ARFCOM/NFAtalk/etc and then despite silencerco's best intentions the word will be based on a few people who complain the loudest.

Doesn't that situation fit the definition of knee-jerk reaction?

For what it's worth, this is similar to the reason I shoot Nikons instead of Cannons w/ regards to lens mounts.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Re: What are the differences between the 51T and 90T systems

Post by Ryo »

Is it time to complain that the 90T comes loose due to having more teeth? :lol:

Yah the change of the system is great and kind of sucks. Wish there was a way to upgrade to the new system, but it's going the way of the 18T.

Just wondering why some of the suppressors are going to keep the 51T and the others the 90T.

The Saker system is kind of interesting. Make it work with all your competitor's flash hider is genius.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Ryo wrote:Is it time to complain that the 90T comes loose due to having more teeth? :lol:

You can complain when the 121T and 138T come out! LOL
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Ryo wrote:Is it time to complain that the 90T comes loose due to having more teeth? :lol:
If you put a 90t can on with "man hands" its much harder to get the silencer back off the mount than the m42k . . . its the reason why many other companies (AAC included) went to some kind of tapered surface.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

This shows the differences- see the threads, teeth, and bearing surfaces:

Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

I have 4 51T mounts and 3 of them lock up tight, the fourth is still in its box, waiting for its host rifle.

I'm still not happy about the design decision. Hopefully the Sakar will force them and some of the other companies to "unmarry" the mount from the silencer like has happened with the various multi-mount 9mm suppressors. Need a QD mount on your 9mm can? NP. Need 3 different types of thread patterns? again, no problem!

I believe the next "big new thing" in the silencer community is going to be multimount rifle suppressors. Just like we had multimount 9mm cans, then take apart 22LR cans, then take apart centerfire pistol cans. I doubt we will see robust take apart rifle cans (they can be heavy and take apart or light and strong and welded, not both) but a multi-type mount should be doable even in a rifle can as silencerCo is showing the industry.

Watch Shot Show 2013, we will see a whole pile of new multi mount rifle cans by then :mrgreen:
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I am curious to see how AAC's latches hold up to the 90T design, personally. As far as I know, they are MIM, and the more teeth you drag it across, the faster it will saw down. Their heat-treat better be (and I am sure it usually is) spot-on.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Unobtanium said:
I am curious to see how AAC's latches hold up to the 90T design, personally. As far as I know, they are MIM, and the more teeth you drag it across, the faster it will saw down. Their heat-treat better be (and I am sure it usually is) spot-on.
This is something I wonder about as well. I do not own a .223 can and I have thought about trying the SR5 for my lone AR in 5.56mm. It is my gut assumption that the 90T will wear through the teeth twice as fast as the 51T. This would not really be an issue if the ratchet was a bit softer metal than the FH mount and if the ratchets were available as cheap replacement parts. It blows my mind that Remington thinks the ratchet is more of a silencer part than the pistons they sell for their pistol cans.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

copenhagen wrote:It blows my mind that Remington thinks the ratchet is more of a silencer part than the pistons they sell for their pistol cans.
It's not that Remington does, it's that the ATF does... The pistons are [currently] considered adapters, versus the latch that is definitely and only a suppressor part.

I know the SR5 and 7 have a design that makes latch replacement incredibly easy compared to the older cans.
Kick Ass Design
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

The latch is part of the system that adapts the muffling device to fit onto the end of your rifle. :) ...Also Jason, the reason I said Remington was because it was my loose understanding that AAC (before Remington) would send these latches out to customers, but when Freedom Group/Remington took over, they changed the policy. I thought I read that here on ST somewhere, and I think you might have even been involved in the conversation (I am much to lazy to look it up/don't care that much)..
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

copenhagen wrote:The latch is part of the system that adapts the muffling device to fit onto the end of your rifle. :) ...Also Jason, the reason I said Remington was because it was my loose understanding that AAC (before Remington) would send these latches out to customers, but when Freedom Group/Remington took over, they changed the policy. I thought I read that here on ST somewhere, and I think you might have even been involved in the conversation (I am much to lazy to look it up/don't care that much)..
Nope.
The latch in the 51T cans is a PITA to replace- the pin needs to plunge-EDM'd out.

if you want to bitch about something the 18T can mount springs are something that AAC won't send out. I honestly do not know if that was a Rem call, or an AAC one, or an ATF one...

Most of it is stupid though. I agree.
Kick Ass Design
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Haha, you know a customer isn't happy unless they are bitching about something. Maybe I got the 18T springs mixed up with the 51T Latches- like I said it was my loose understanding based off a thread I read many moons ago and did not search for...
DCloudy777
Silent But Deadly

Post by DCloudy777 »

I'm just hoping I can pick up the "old school" SDN6 and a few mounts a little cheaper now that the 90 tooth stuff is "the one to have".

:wink:
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

When will the 90T be out?