Baffle erosion 762 - SD with pictures

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Re: Baffle erosion 762 - SD with pictures

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

eric10mm wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote: 1. First baffle is made of heat treated 718 Inconel. It has a symmetrical bore aperture (the bore hole is round)
2. All of the middle baffles (as in not the first or last) are made of 316 stainless steel. They also have an asymmetrical bore aperture. That means one side of the baffle is shaped differently than the other.
3. Last baffle is made of 316 SS but has a symmetrical bore aperture.
Are those baffles machined form bar stock, or are they cast? That might make a difference in appearance as they wear.
No castings
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

jreinke wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:
shootertom wrote:Mike, would it be safe to assume that the brake will provide the longest life for the silencer? Thanks - T

YES!
Well...in that case, when are you guys going to make another batch of 5.56mm 18-tooth muzzle brake mounts in 1/2-28 so my 762-SD doesn't die a premature death? :wink:
http://www.major-malfunction.com/ is all out?
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Yes he is all out. In fact I bought his last one and I still need at least one more.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Very informative thread. Looks like Ill get an sdn6 instead of the sd. Probably will not be shooting much 223 through it. That means ill just have build up my 300blk faster :) or just stick with my 9mm cans and rifles, no baffle erosion on them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCStm1E4 ... playnext=1

Cant wait to get my 9mm SBR up and running.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
66427vette wrote:So Mers is this normal ?
What we see here is normal for our 762-SD silencer.

First let's talk about how this silencer looked when it was new.

1. First baffle is made of heat treated 718 Inconel. It has a symmetrical bore aperture (the bore hole is round)
2. All of the middle baffles (as in not the first or last) are made of 316 stainless steel. They also have an asymmetrical bore aperture. That means one side of the baffle is shaped differently than the other.

Why do the middle baffles have an asymmetrical bore aperture? Because we need the added sound reduction generated by the turbulence the asymmetry causes. Our Cyclone uses all symmetrical bore apertures this aids in accuracy but makes the silencer 9" long. Also note that the Cyclone is packed full of baffles.... no room for a flash hider in there. Now if we made a QD Cyclone it would be 12" of so long!

Now let's talk about what I see in the above pics.

1. First baffle looks good. Inclonel works! :wink:
2. Asymmetrical baffles are showing some wear. This is normal... being a 5.56 silencer is a hard job. This is also why we use all Inclonel baffles in the 762-SDN6 silencer.

I would like to ask the OP

How does it sound?

Mike Mers
More ragged edges caused by wear.
More turbulence.
More sound attenuation.
Used ragged can is quieter than new clean-cut can.

Yes/no?
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Unobtanium wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:
66427vette wrote:So Mers is this normal ?
What we see here is normal for our 762-SD silencer.

First let's talk about how this silencer looked when it was new.

1. First baffle is made of heat treated 718 Inconel. It has a symmetrical bore aperture (the bore hole is round)

Why do the middle baffles have an asymmetrical bore aperture? Because we need the added sound reduction generated by the turbulence the asymmetry causes. Our Cyclone uses all symmetrical bore apertures this aids in accuracy but makes the silencer 9" long. Also note that the Cyclone is packed full of baffles.... no room for a flash hider in there. Now if we made a QD Cyclone it would be 12" of so long!

Now let's talk about what I see in the above pics.

1. First baffle looks good. Inclonel works! :wink:
2. Asymmetrical baffles are showing some wear. This is normal... being a 5.56 silencer is a hard job. This is also why we use all Inclonel baffles in the 762-SDN6 silencer.

I would like to ask the OP

How does it sound?

Mike Mers
More ragged edges caused by wear.
More turbulence.
More sound attenuation.
Used ragged can is quieter than new clean-cut can.

Yes/no?
Yes, that could be true. That is why I ask.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!