Re: 51T wobble?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

SO what happened to my post?

Is it that "You can't handle the truth!" :?:

So much for freedom of speech..., is that you Obama censoring my post??

Nice!!!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

roxy wrote:SO what happened to my post?

Is it that "You can't handle the truth!" :?:

So much for freedom of speech..., is that you Obama censoring my post??

Nice!!!
OK, i will bite

what post?
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The 51T mount, along with the KAC and G5 - all have some movement. That is just how those three where designed. The 51T mount has a precision area to limit movement. To install it, use the last tooth that it will lock in to. We designed it to not get stuck on, as that happened sometimes to cans at the time which locked in rigid - so the slight movement was a tradeoff to not suffer that problem of a competitor's can.

Because people asked for a rigid feel, we responded and worked out a way to be able to do this that met all of our requirement, and developed the SR5/SR7.

The 51T mount is a good mount. Our largest military customer was shown the 90T mounts at the Shot Show, and elected not to convert over - as they have hundreds of units in combat and have not had any problems. I am not changing over my cans, as I am happy with my 51T mounts, and see no other cans that actually outperform them.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

silencertalk wrote:The 51T mount, along with the KAC and G5 - all have some movement. That is just how those three where designed. The 51T mount has a precision area to limit movement. To install it, use the last tooth that it will lock in to. We designed it to not get stuck on, as that happened sometimes to cans at the time which locked in rigid - so the slight movement was a tradeoff to not suffer that problem of a competitor's can.

Because people asked for a rigid feel, we responded and worked out a way to be able to do this that met all of our requirement, and developed the SR5/SR7.

The 51T mount is a good mount. Our largest military customer was shown the 90T mounts at the Shot Show, and elected not to convert over - as they have hundreds of units in combat and have not had any problems. I am not changing over my cans, as I am happy with my 51T mounts, and see no other cans that actually outperform them.
Robert,

I too am happy with the 51T system. The shot show videos had me a little worried about the 90T mount. I did not like how Mers had to put the gun between his legs in order to get a virgin can off of the gun. Have you all done extensive testing with this mount to see how hard the can is to get off the gun after you have put several hundred, or thousands of rounds through it? I'd be worried that with some carbon fouling it would be damn near impossible to get off the gun.

Hell, I fully expect the next round of bitching posts to be about how you need a vice, MAPP torch, and a strap wrench to get the can off the gun.

I have the same fears with the Saker. If it takes two people to get a virgin can apart in a shot show demo video, what is going to happen when it has extensive carbon fouling? Yikes.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Unlike the 51T mount, the 90T grips even without the latch (if you removed the latch, the can would still not unscrew as you shot).

If you put the can on yourself, then you don't need to worry. Evidently someone stronger than Mers put it on, and so it took two hands for him to remove it.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

silencertalk wrote:Unlike the 51T mount, the 90T grips even without the latch (if you removed the latch, the can would still not unscrew as you shot).

If you put the can on yourself, then you don't need to worry. Evidently someone stronger than Mers put it on, and so it took two hands for him to remove it.
With the 90 tooth mounting system you need to use about 125% of the installation force to remove it. So don't install it with 100% your strength. In the video I used all my force (you can see me trying to turn it as hard as I can) to demo that the can will not move. Thus the need to remove it with a little help.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
silencertalk wrote:Unlike the 51T mount, the 90T grips even without the latch (if you removed the latch, the can would still not unscrew as you shot).

With the 90 tooth mounting system you need to use about 125% of the installation force to remove it. So don't install it with 100% your strength. In the video I used all my force (you can see me trying to turn it as hard as I can) to demo that the can will not move. Thus the need to remove it with a little help.
But does that 100% installation force all of the sudden become 200% force after extreme heating and carbon fouling buildup? I'm assuming 125% is a virgin can.

I dont mean to be a hard ass here, so please understand I am genuinely interested and not just trying to troll. With every change there are usually advantages and disadvantages. I'm just trying to figure out what the disadvantages are.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

m1garand30064 wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:

But does that 100% installation force all of the sudden become 200% force after extreme heating and carbon fouling buildup? I'm assuming 125% is a virgin can.

I dont mean to be a hard ass here, so please understand I am genuinely interested and not just trying to troll. With every change there are usually advantages and disadvantages. I'm just trying to figure out what the disadvantages are.
Easy fix dont gorilla the can on just snug will be fine I would imagine (this being said I have not seen one yet).
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Ive gotta say, Ive handled a lot of the 51t suppressors and NONE of them have movement. Im very pleased to have a SDN-6 on its way!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

m1garand30064 wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:

One other factor, and I'm not sure which video you are talking about, is that many of the cans at SHOT were dummy cans... made out of aluminum, and so "stuck" a bit when tightened down on the stainless mounts. It's not as bad with stainless on stainless.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

^^^

Interesting. I guess I will just have to wait for my dealer to get his demo can in and run it through its paces and see for myself.

However, it would be nice if a video were to appear on AAC's blog putting the can through the paces and then removing it. Just a thought. :wink:
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
post tensioned
Silent But Deadly

Post by post tensioned »

I just got my 762SDN-6, mounted it and it fits great. A tiny, and I mean tiny amount of rotation as the latch sets inside the last tooth it engages on; my KAC NT4 rotates alot more than this. Feels really solid; I have no reservations about this mount whatsoever.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZGUwrq ... ature=plcp

See if you don't wrench it on it comes right off. :wink:
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
sardo67
Silent Operator

Post by sardo67 »

when is the realistic ETA for the new SR7 cans from you guys? i need a good 7.62 can and i also LOVE that handy rifle..... you guys are gonna make me broke again
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I strongly disagree with this.

I have many times put lids on that I later could not remove nearly as easily as I put them on. This isn't accounting for temperature differentials between the items, coefficients of expansion between two dissimilar metals, and "fouling".

Just because you can do it, does NOT mean you can un-do it, in a general sense, when talking about things of this nature.
1_ar_newbie wrote:

This sounds about right.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

JasonM wrote:

One other factor, and I'm not sure which video you are talking about, is that many of the cans at SHOT were dummy cans... made out of aluminum, and so "stuck" a bit when tightened down on the stainless mounts. It's not as bad with stainless on stainless.
That's crappy in my opinion, unless they were weighted to be EXACTLY like the production models. Many people will make a decision based on weight/balance, etc. as well as mounting system. I know I took those into account. When you fudge the weight and mounting system efficacy by using materials that will not be used in production, it's not very representative of the product.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Unobtanium wrote:
JasonM wrote:

That's crappy in my opinion, unless they were weighted to be EXACTLY like the production models. Many people will make a decision based on weight/balance, etc. as well as mounting system. I know I took those into account. When you fudge the weight and mounting system efficacy by using materials that will not be used in production, it's not very representative of the product.

I see your point but the ATF is not a fan of us loosing real silencers. So we use Dummy cans when we will have an unknown number of customers in the booth. Every year stuff is stolen from our booth.

BTW, the dummy cans are made to be really close to the weight of the real deal. We also keep real cans for customers to see with the help of someone from AAC.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
poolboy

Post by poolboy »

I thought this topic was about
solutions to wobble 51t mounts?? :P
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Unobtanium wrote:
JasonM wrote:

I see your point but the ATF is not a fan of us loosing real silencers. So we use Dummy cans when we will have an unknown number of customers in the booth. Every year stuff is stolen from our booth.

BTW, the dummy cans are made to be really close to the weight of the real deal. We also keep real cans for customers to see with the help of someone from AAC.
Well the ATF is full of good people, and they probably know best. Good on you for listening to them, and will they find it in their hearts to go on and approve my Form 4 soon :)

Have you guys shot the new mounts red-hot to determine that the expansion coefficient between the mount and the suppressor does not prove to be an issue with such absolute a lock-up system as you are using with two matched tapers? Further, would you suggest something like a bit of choke-tube grease on the incline to prevent seizure?

I had a Benelli M4S90 and a Teague choke-tube that worked on the same principal. It did not shoot loose...
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Unobtanium wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Wow really? That takes some balls.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

m1garand30064 wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:
JasonM wrote:

BTW, the dummy cans are made to be really close to the weight of the real deal. We also keep real cans for customers to see with the help of someone from AAC

Wow really? That takes some balls.
it is never anything big... but it happens
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Unobtanium wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:

Well the ATF is full of good people, and they probably know best. Good on you for listening to them, and will they find it in their hearts to go on and approve my Form 4 soon :)

Have you guys shot the new mounts red-hot to determine that the expansion coefficient between the mount and the suppressor does not prove to be an issue with such absolute a lock-up system as you are using with two matched tapers? Further, would you suggest something like a bit of choke-tube grease on the incline to prevent seizure?

I had a Benelli M4S90 and a Teague choke-tube that worked on the same principal. It did not shoot loose...

We have had it hot for sure. We do tons of R&D here.

I little grease or lube is really not a bad idea... but really after everything gets hot most of he lube is gone.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

m1garand30064 wrote: Wow really? That takes some balls.
Crye lost a combat gillie this year, someone yanked it straight off the display.
mstennes

Post by mstennes »

Ctaylor wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote: Wow really? That takes some balls.
Crye lost a combat gillie this year, someone yanked it straight off the display.
Last year, a S&B 1x8 Short Dot (the new one that wasnt available anywhere)went missing, they even cut the wire attached to it iirc?
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

Good gawd....that's ballsy. It's quite a shame that people have to stoop that low.