Refinishing AAC cans ?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

onate210
Silent Operator

Refinishing AAC cans ?

Post by onate210 »

Ive noticed on a couple of 762-SDN-6s and M42Ks that Ive seen brand new in dealers displays, that the finish has rubbed off on them either from contact with other supressors or just from being handled I suppose. I realize that a supressor like a weapon is a tool and isn't meant to be babied. I understand that through normal use a suppressor will show sign of wear and I'm totally cool with that.

However seeing as the finish on these cans has started to come without even being used makes me wonder about the quality and durability of the finish. I realize this is purely cosmetic and would have no ill effect on the performance of the can, but I guess it just makes me wonder how it'll look after several thousand rounds.

Is there a reason why AAC doesn't use something a bit tougher like whats used on AR's such as cerakote ? Ive seen rifles that have been used heavily and there finish still looks very good.

Ive also noticed this on some surefire cans but that doesn't concern me much as I dont plan to give them any of my money.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Refinishing AAC cans ?

Post by 66427vette »

The coating on aac cans is pretty tough. Would take a lot of rough handy work to scratch them up . Sure they were not the stores "demo" cans . Some stores keep all the new nfa stuff in back away from the animals.
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

Yeah these where brand new. And neither dealer has a range to demo the cans. They just had them in display cases.

Seeing one like this I would pass off as a fluke, but two in two different stores in two different states seems like no fluke to me. And the finish on both had the same thing, like it had rubbed off. There where no scratches or dents or chipping of the finish to suggest they been dropped or banged around
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

All our unfired " show" cans had been abused by every idiot and their brother and still look like new .
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Certain companies think CeraKote is a good finish for suppressors but it isn't according to their website they use Moly Resin which is an awesome suppressor finish.

Sounds like a fluke to me, all of my AAC cans and all that we see in for servicing look great.
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

What should done in these cases then ?

Should the dealer give a discount, or could they be sent back to AAC for refinishing ?

As I said I realize it's just cosmetic but if I'm gonna spend 1k on a can and wait 6 months for it I'd want looking perfect.

As hard as they are to get right now simply finding another one in stock isn't really an option either.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

I find it inconsequential . . . my finish burned off my sdn6 awhile ago.

If you shoot it a lot and quickly it won't matter what is on it, it will burn.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

The more they get beat up and the hotter the get the cooler they look. He should charge a premium for those scratched up ones. :D
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

When you put it that way I guess I should be happy.

I don't have to spend as much money on ammo to get that tacticool "I run my guns hard" look :)
firedavis

Post by firedavis »

I just had to send my 762SD back due to the rachet system being stripped after only a year. The finish on my can looked like it had been through world war 3 after only a year of hog hunting with it. I didn't baby it but the finish rubbed off very easy. I noticed on their new cans they are using a new coating, so when I sent it in for repair I put a note about the finish rubbing off easily. I should get my can back this week and I will let you know if they recoated it for me and if so how it holds up.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

How long ago did you send it back?
firedavis

Post by firedavis »

Early to mid May
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I just refinish mine with duraheat for color. Holds up pretty well actually.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

onate210 wrote:What should done in these cases then ?

Should the dealer give a discount, or could they be sent back to AAC for refinishing ?

As I said I realize it's just cosmetic but if I'm gonna spend 1k on a can and wait 6 months for it I'd want looking perfect.

As hard as they are to get right now simply finding another one in stock isn't really an option either.
I would ask for a discount or recoat. If you go buy a new car that has rock chips in the bumper, would you not do the same?
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

even burning the finish off i have not seen one that is back to raw ss (some form of finish still there).
NP
onate210
Silent Operator

Post by onate210 »

Perhaps AAC did change the coating they use on there cans.

I'll try snapping some pics of the can next time I'm in the shop so y'all can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

onate210 wrote:Perhaps AAC did change the coating they use on there cans.

I'll try snapping some pics of the can next time I'm in the shop so y'all can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
They haven't changed their coatings, we await your pics.
dane421
Silent But Deadly

Post by dane421 »

I like the used look

firedavis

Post by firedavis »

I dont remember what they were coated with but all the new suppressors say they are coated with "Gun-Kote". I know my 762SD was coated with something different when I bought it.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

firedavis wrote:I dont remember what they were coated with but all the new suppressors say they are coated with "Gun-Kote". I know my 762SD was coated with something different when I bought it.
They usually use Moly Resin. Its for the most part the same thing as GunKote.
firedavis

Post by firedavis »

Got my can back today and they did refinish it for me. The new coating is not the same as what originally came on the can. The new coating seems harder and almost textured. The orginal coating was alot smoother than the new coating and is also a flatter color. Here are a few cell phone pics (not very good ones)

JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

the cans used to be blasted by hand, now they have a nifty robot blaster. That is why the finish is more uniform and may seem more textured.

They switched from MolyResin to GunKote a year or 2 ago, but like Bender said, those are pretty much identical.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

onate210 wrote:What should done in these cases then ?

When you said rubbed off, are you talking about rubbed off to bare metal, or possibly was it just dead skin cells from so many people handling it?
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

+1 to the used look. Whatever you're going to put on it will burn off assuming you're the type of shooter whose firearms collect more dirt than dust :wink:
tigerdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tigerdog »

I think the old school 762-SD I have has a SCARmore finish. Not exactly sure of the difference between that and the moly resin/gun kote, but maybe Jason can comment. Mine is a 2008 vintage can.

-Tdog
..."And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord. "