Mount Clearance for SDN6 on M1A?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

uvausmc

Mount Clearance for SDN6 on M1A?

Post by uvausmc »

I got a Schuster Gas plug and Blackout flash hider mount for my M1A and after I got it all installed I noticed the clearance between the mount and gas plug is really close. I am still waiting on my stamp for my SDN6 but I'm concerned it won't fit on the mount all the way. Is it going to work? If not, any ideas on how I can make it work without having to go back to the shorter factory gas plug?

FWIW, I went with getting the M1A threaded mount to save the $160 of getting the Delta P thread adapter.

(I know there is a lot of controversy out there about suppressing an M1A but I've seen enough guys that have done it successfully to give it a try. Please don't turn this thread into a debate on suppressing M1A's.)

uvausmc

Re: Mount Clearance for SDN6 on M1A?

Post by uvausmc »

Well nobody replied but I think I figured out a solution. I got with Cade at AAC and he suggested switching to the Smith Enterprises M14 SOCOM gas plug. It's much shorter and designed for suppressor use. Thanks AAC.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

I don't know of any "controversy" surrounding surrounding suppressing the M1A (other than it being a loud host).

Reference not getting a response here in the AAC section of the Forum, I would like to point out that there's a whole M1A/M14/M1 Garand section here on Silencer Talk where you probably would have recieved an answer rather quickly.

viewforum.php?f=70

That s--t out of the way, the important thing is that you got the info that you needed.

By the way here's mine with a 762SD (I used the Delta P adapter):

Somewhat loud and I get a lot of gas in the face (even using the Schuster gas block) it (the gas) can be mitigated by using a gas deflector that comes with the M14 Blank Firing Adapter.

uvausmc

Post by uvausmc »

Yeah i have been stalking you on the forums and seen your pics before. They are part of the reason i decided to suppress mine. By controversy i meant that there is a lot of different opinion on whether its worth suppressing an M1A.
uvausmc

Post by uvausmc »

Problem Solved.

The Smith Enterprises SOCOM Gas plug is a perfect fit. It gives about 3/16" between the edge of the gas plug and where the back of the suppressor will be.

I'll give a range report as soon as a I can to report how the new plug functions.