M4 2000 Help

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

rsedam762

M4 2000 Help

Post by rsedam762 »

Need help. Recently added an M4 2000 to 10.5" AR upper and I am experiencing short stroking of the the bolt where it catches a new round just barely on return and it slams into the side of the round as it tries to chamber the round. I have used PMC 55 Grn and Federal 55 Grn rounds with the same results. I loaded custom loads with BLC2 with 26.9, 27.4, and 27.6 Grn of powder and a 55 Grn spire point bullet and still had problems. On the gun I replaced the gas rings, tried a different bolt, and a lighter buffer. The only change that helped was going to a lighter (standard) carbine buffer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Re: M4 2000 Help

Post by ronin111 »

Does it cycle unsuppressed?
Sleeper362
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sleeper362 »

I think you need to go the other direction and add a heavier buffer along with maybe a stronger action spring.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I am also curious if it runs fine unsuppressed. If so...
Sleeper362 wrote:I think you need to go the other direction and add a heavier buffer along with maybe a stronger action spring.
This usually will fix the issue you are talking about.
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
rsedam762

Post by rsedam762 »

Yes, it works fine without the suppressor installed. If a heavier buffer is required then the only option I see is the T3 buffer from Spikes. Not sure where or what to get for a heavier spring. Any ideas where to get this? Thanks...
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Just get a standard H3. The Spikes buffers cause more issues than they solve in SBR's.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

J Krammes wrote:Just get a standard H3. The Spikes buffers cause more issues than they solve in SBR's.
This!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

H3.

What you are most likely experiencing is not short stroking, but cycling speed that is to high (from the extra back pressure).

Couple things to try (in order of how extreme):

1. H3 Buffer

2. New GI Buffer Spring (potentially a non-spec stronger one, but then you might run into issues with unsuppressed use)

3. New mags/Mag springs (Might better "Keep up" with the cyclic rate)

4. A switchblock
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rsedam762

Post by rsedam762 »

Thanks guys for the response. As a novice SS guy I appreciate the help. The mag that I was using was a Magpul 30 rd mag. I will place the order for a T3 buffer and stronger spring. Also in response to that last response; what is a switchblock? Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance :)
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

rsedam762 wrote:Thanks guys for the response. Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance :)
Not a problem. You have to learn somewhere. Just DO NOT go with the Spikes buffer. Go to Bravo Co Mfg. and order an H3 buffer. You can get a new spring, but I think an H3 will do. If you do get both, try one at a time. Both may be to much and cause similar issues. Just curious. What is the make of the upper or barrel? Also, are you using a full auto bolt carrier group.
rsedam762

Post by rsedam762 »

Thanks for the input, all is appreciated. Upper is made by Rogio and the barrel is Daniel Defense.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

rsedam762 wrote:Thanks guys for the response. As a novice SS guy I appreciate the help. The mag that I was using was a Magpul 30 rd mag. I will place the order for a T3 buffer and stronger spring. Also in response to that last response; what is a switchblock? Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance :)
Switchblock is a two-position gas block made by Noveske- a regular and a suppressed setting (prevents over-gassing when suppressed).

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... gi?cat=157
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy