SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:20 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 pm 

i think instict tells me the answer to this but, i would like it in a more tequnical explanation.

so am i right in thinking that the smaller the powder volume the longer the barrel and the larger the moderator the lower the output in DB?

the reason i ask is because i am gunning for a new hunting rifle build.
the considerations:
must shoot
minimum of 100gr bullet
minimum velocity of 2400fps
and min energy of 1700 foot pounds.

i currently shoot 243 win which for all practical purposes is the minimum legal caliber for red deer when considering the above legal requirements.

would switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel?

thanks

john

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:29 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Quote:
switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel

Generally, yes. However, a larger diameter bullet going the same speed makes more noise traveling through the air. Your supersonic crack will be slightly louder. My 450 bushmaster makes a very loud crack, while the muzzle blast is very tame with a silencer.

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:56 am 

fishman wrote:
Quote:
switching to something like the 6.5 lapua with its larger bore volume and smaller case capacity produce less sound than the 243 with the same can and same length barrel

Generally, yes. However, a larger diameter bullet going the same speed makes more noise traveling through the air. Your supersonic crack will be slightly louder. My 450 bushmaster makes a very loud crack, while the muzzle blast is very tame with a silencer.

thanks. i had not considered the larger bullet giving a louder crack.