For defense, which is better 147 or 158gr 9mm?

Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

Ugh, I hadn't stocked up on 9mm since 2006. Prices are ridiculous.

By the by, I just started reloading. Does anyone know where to find a high-quality 158grn 9mm bullets ?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Mr_Psmith wrote:Ugh, I hadn't stocked up on 9mm since 2006. Prices are ridiculous.

By the by, I just started reloading. Does anyone know where to find a high-quality 158grn 9mm bullets ?
Could you substitute 158 gr. 357 Magnum?
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
Mr_Psmith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr_Psmith »

Bullet diameter differs by 0.002. I don't know if that would cause an overpressure situation or not, but I'd be afraid to try it.
Storm Trooper #4

Re:

Post by Storm Trooper #4 »

TROOPER wrote:The only reason 158 gr. 9mm even exists is so 9mm rifles / carbines can fire a round that will still stay subsonic even though the barrel is longer.

I have a 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm suppressed - I haven't had a problem keeping the 147 gr. rounds sub-sonic, but it isn't by much. 158 gr. would be practically guaranteed subsonic.
Cx4, whooooo!!!
I have the Canadian model with a slightly longer barrel, and yeah, the 147 is supersonic in it.
So you're right your cx4 must be juuuust barely subsonic with the 147.
I'm trying to find some 158, but so sad that suppressors are not legal here.
jax11

Re: For defense, which is better 147 or 158gr 9mm?

Post by jax11 »

Been Shooting 158 for YEARS - like 1985 time frame, IMI had a great Idea with their Blacktip for the UZI, Best ammo I can find Factory now is Fiocchi 158 FMJ - IT thumps anything, and is able to cycle thru all my 9's and suppressors. Also NO muzzle "flash" sparks. If you ever see Blacktip IMI in the 80's headstamp GET it
CaliberWind

Re: For defense, which is better 147 or 158gr 9mm?

Post by CaliberWind »

The choice between a 147 grain or 158 grain 9mm bullet for defense depends on various factors and personal preferences. Consider Bullet Weight, Penetration and Expansion, Velocity and Recoil, Shot Placement and Training.

Ultimately, there is no definitive answer as to which bullet weight is better for defense. It's important to consider factors such as bullet design, reliability, personal shooting proficiency, and individual preferences. I recommend testing different loads and bullet weights to determine what works best for your specific firearm and personal shooting capabilities. Stay safe!