22 cal subsonic, which kind do you recommend?

Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

22 cal subsonic, which kind do you recommend?

Post by Eagle1* »

I am just starting into the 22 cal suppressor arena and was wondering what you guys think is the best subsonic ammo for a Ruger 22/45, Paclite & AAC Element combo?

And then where can I get it at? Thanks...
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Personally, I thought Federal from www.Cheaperthandirt.com was a pretty good deal.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... ?sku=59187

I actually purchased two different kinds that are 1080 fps and had no problems. Good stuff.

The Remington SS works fine in my GSG5 but I would say it is not quite as reliable.
-----
Ick
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

thanks for the response, I actually saw this stuff in another thread and was wondering if it was good to go or not???

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... cts_id/787
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

Based on ammunitiontogo prices - which is the only way I've been able to buy subsonic - eley sport is the cheapest @~23usd /500, winchester subsonic is my favorite @~30usd /500. I buy remington subsonic whenever walmart has it.

I'm not convinced aguila solids are much better than eley sport, but let the gun pick for you.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

CCI standard velocity is what I use on all of my suppressed .22s
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Remington works good with Element on a couple hosts.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22 cal subsonic, which kind do you recommend?

Post by smcharchan »

Eagle1* wrote:I am just starting into the 22 cal suppressor arena and was wondering what you guys think is the best subsonic ammo for a Ruger 22/45, Paclite & AAC Element combo?
What do you want to do with it? Do you want the best for quietness, for reliability, for hunting, for accuracy, or something else?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Remington Subsonic is CRAP! Wildly different power between shots.. & FILTHY. 2 thumbs down.

Aguila SE purple box :-) works for me.

CCI Target is subsonic in my 10/22 above 50 deg. Most of the time at 30-40 deg. But an occasional super/trans sonic at the cold temps. It is supersonic in my CZ and both have the same barrel length.

CCI subsonic is nice ammo.. I have yet to try the Winchester subsonic.

CCI TARGET in my pistols... Aguila SE Purple in my rifles. In the summer the CCI Target may be OK in my rifles.

I want to try the Winchester.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I'm a big Winchester fan.
Eagle1*
Silent But Deadly

Post by Eagle1* »

smcharchan wrote:
Eagle1* wrote:I am just starting into the 22 cal suppressor arena and was wondering what you guys think is the best subsonic ammo for a Ruger 22/45, Paclite & AAC Element combo?
What do you want to do with it? Do you want the best for quietness, for reliability, for hunting, for accuracy, or something else?
would like it to be the quietest & cleanest!!!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Actually I would suggest buying 100 rounds of everything you can find and shooting for group - pick the top three and order 500 of each - then narrow it down to the one that you like/can afford to shoot in bulk.

I went thru a fair amount of different brands and now have mainly subsonic CCI and Aguila - I liked the wolfe but cost wise Aguila is best buy around here.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

cajun 22 wrote:CCI standard velocity is what I use on all of my suppressed .22s
ditto.....stays subsonic in my 16" dedicated AR.....also pretty accurate and very consistent
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

JohnInNH wrote:CCI Target is subsonic in my 10/22 above 50 deg. Most of the time at 30-40 deg. But an occasional super/trans sonic at the cold temps. It is supersonic in my CZ and both have the same barrel length.
10/22 barrels usually run .224", CZ's are very tight like .221"
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

yep the CZ is tight (chamber too) and is wicked accurate :-) I love that rifle.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Eagle1* wrote:... for a Ruger 22/45, Paclite & AAC Element combo?
Eagle1* wrote:would like it to be the quietest & cleanest!!!
Given the two statements above I don't believe that you need to pay a premium for subsonic ammo. Further, some, such as Aguila SE subsonic might not cycle the 22/45/Paclite.

I recommend purchasing several boxes of standard and high velocity ammo to determine which ones are quiet and reliable.

Personally, I keep subsonic stuff on hand for rifle use, but prefer other ammo for my pistols. The Federal Automatch (white box) that is available at wallmart is one of my favorites. It cycles the action with authority, runs just under the speed of sound out of a pistol, and is very clean.
Downrange
Elite Member

Post by Downrange »

I've become a big fan of CCI Standard Vel. Out of my 10-22, it groups a half inch or so at 50 yards all day and stays subsonic 100%. Cheap too, at Dick's where I found a few bricks.
aquajon
Silent But Deadly

Post by aquajon »

For "plinking" in my CZ-452 I use the Aquila 40gr subsonic. It's a fair compromise between cost and consistency.

The best/most accurate subsonic I've found were the RWS, but they are more expensive. If I'm taking my CZ-452 out past 100 yards I'll use the RWS, but for most plinking I use the Aquila 40gr.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Depends on the gun. For a pistol I use CCI Minimags to get the speed back up closer to 1000 fps.

For a longer barrel I use Remington T-22 (Target 22).
5mmgunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 5mmgunguy »

Winchester subsonic seems to work well.
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

CCI standard works great :P !!
In the eight .22 LR guns I run with a muzzle can. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
THIS is MY safety!
sonanth
Elite Member

Post by sonanth »

CCI Standard is great. I shot some Aguila SE yesterday.....that stuff is even quieter than the CCI standard vel out my 4" Buckmark and a 16" 10/22. I don't think it was in a purple box though.

Where can I find this stuff? I've looked at cheaperthandirt and nothing there. Local gun shop didn't have it in their catalog either.

ETA: Found this thread using search and a couple other threads. Found this link to some. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... cts_id/787

If anyone knows another place, post that too.
"Your" does not equal "You're", the contraction for "You are".

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

sonanth wrote:CCI Standard is great. I shot some Aguila SE yesterday.....that stuff is even quieter than the CCI standard vel out my 4" Buckmark and a 16" 10/22. I don't think it was in a purple box though.

Where can I find this stuff? I've looked at cheaperthandirt and nothing there. Local gun shop didn't have it in their catalog either.

ETA: Found this thread using search and a couple other threads. Found this link to some. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... cts_id/787

If anyone knows another place, post that too.
Ordered from that link a while back and received blue+yellow box aguila superextra.
Keep in mind that at one point purple box SE was not the same as superextra. Aguila seems to enjoy making their lineup as confusing as possible.

In my experience...

In order of quietness:
PMC Moderator
Aguila Superextra
Win SS HP, Eley Sport, CCI
Remington SS

452V Accuracy:
Win SS HP
CCI
Eley Sport, Aguila, Remington SS

Reliability in a 10/22 is proportional to noise. Superextras seem just powerful enough to cycle a 10/22. Remingtons are the most reliable when the rifle is dirty.
I like the price of the Eley.
dozermac
Silent But Deadly

Post by dozermac »

I use Remington Target in pistol and Aquila SuperExtra Subsonic 40's in my CZ rifle. Both seem to be just about right.
556hollowtip
Silent Operator

Post by 556hollowtip »

I have had good luck with this stuff. Cycles my 22/45 and 10/22 no problem. http://www.treadstoneenterprises.com/RW ... sh-box.htm

Rem does not cycle either. Have not found or tried any thing else yet.