New 5.56 round to be fielded in Afghanistan

Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ick
Silent But Deadly

New 5.56 round to be fielded in Afghanistan

Post by ick »

Did you guys know about this? I did not. I mean I heard something was coming, but I didn't know it was to be in use so soon. I wonder if eventually we will have thousands of "cheap older style" rounds flood the market... as the .mil switches? I mean if it was me I would shoot all that I have in stock of the old stuff, but you know how our government is. I understand replacing all the ammo in the field immediately, but will they dump the market full of FMJ rounds. Will there be a huge surplus of unused, new FMJ hit the reloading market?

What is the new core made of? Some kind of steel composite?

http://www.militaryinfo.com/news_story. ... ewsid=5547

Military News
Army begins Shipping New and Improved 5.56mm Cartridge

By Staff Writer
Army News Service

June 23, 2010 - The Army announced today it has begun shipping its new 5.56mm cartridge, the M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round, to support warfighters in Afghanistan.

The new M855A1 round is sometimes referred to as "green ammo."

The new round replaces the current M855 5.56mm cartridge that has been used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s.

The M855A1 resulted in a number of significant enhancements not found in the current round, officials said. They explained these include improved hard-target capability, more dependable, consistent performance at all distances, improved accuracy, reduced muzzle flash and a higher velocity.

During testing, the M855A1 performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets, blurring the performance differences that previously separated the two rounds.

The projectile incorporates these improvements without adding weight or requiring additional training.

According to Lt. Col. Jeffrey K. Woods, the program's product manager, the projectile is "the best general purpose 5.56mm round ever produced."

Woods said its fielding represents the most significant advancement in general purpose small caliber ammunition in decades.

The Enhanced Performance Round contains an environmentally-friendly projectile that eliminates up to 2,000 tons of lead from the manufacturing process each year in direct support of Army commitment to environmental stewardship.

Woods said the effort is a clear example of how "greening" a previously hazardous material can also provide extremely beneficial performance improvements.

Picatinny Arsenal's Project Manager for Maneuver Ammunition Systems manages the M855A1 program.

Project Manager Chris Grassano called the fielding "the culmination of an Army enterprise effort by a number of organizations, particularly the Army Research Laboratory, Armament Research Development and Engineering Center, Program Executive Office for Ammunition and the Joint Munitions Command.

"The Army utilized advanced science, modeling and analysis to produce the best 5.56mm round possible for the warfighter," he said.

The M855A1 is tailored for use in the M-4 weapon system but also improves the performance of the M-16 and M-249 families of weapons.

A true general-purpose round, the M855A1 exceeds the performance of the current M855 against the many different types of targets likely to be encountered in combat.

Prior to initial production, the EPR underwent vigorous testing. Official qualification of the round consisted of a series of side-by-side tests with the current M855.

Overall, the Army fired more than 1 million rounds to ensure the new cartridge met or exceeded all expectations. The M855A1 is without question the most thoroughly tested small caliber round ever fielded, Woods said.

The Army has recently completed the Limited Rate Initial Production phase for the M855A1 and is beginning the follow-on full rate production phase where plans are to procure more than 200 millions rounds over the next 12-15 months.

The M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round is the first environmentally-friendly bullet resulting from a larger "greening" effort across the Army's Small Caliber Ammunition programs. Other greening efforts include 5.56mm tracer, 7.62mm ball and green primers.

Soldiers in Afghanistan will begin using the new, improved round this summer.
-----
Ick
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: New 5.56 round to be fielded in Afghanistan

Post by 700PSS »

Notice they didn't mention the increased cost of the enviro-friendly round.

The military: Killing people and breaking things, but in an environmentally friendly way. :)
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

700PSS wrote:Notice they didn't mention the increased cost of the enviro-friendly round.
or terminal performance... just that it does better penetrating cinder blocks.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

ick wrote:I wonder if eventually we will have thousands of "cheap older style" rounds flood the market... as the .mil switches? I mean if it was me I would shoot all that I have in stock of the old stuff, but you know how our government is.
If they don't use up the M855, best case we sell it to an another country at a loss, worst case it gets demilled at a huge loss.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't think they surplus ammo to the US any more. Something Klinton or Bush did (not a huge difference between the two).

Is it just me, or does Clinton seem awesome compared to Obama?

The other new ammo is the Mk318.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

rsilvers wrote:I don't think they surplus ammo to the US any more. Something Klinton or Bush did (not a huge difference between the two).

Is it just me, or does Clinton seem awesome compared to Obama?
I was just thinking that yesterday. I never thought I would miss that bastard, but by comparison to Obama, I'd take Clinton back in a heartbeat. Bill, that is. Not the other one.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would take Hillary over Obama any time. I think she is far more conservative.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

rsilvers wrote:I would take Hillary over Obama any time. I think she is far more conservative.
Unfortunately, between Hillary, Obama and McCain, Hillary was the conservative candidate.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Boy..... isn't that sad. She was also probably the most capable of the three too. That is even worse.
-----
Ick
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

:cry:
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

One of my buddies found this.

One of my buddies found this.
U.S. Army Issues New “Green” M855A1 Ammo

AccurateShooter reports on the Army's new 5.56mm ammunition ...

The 62-grain bullet for the new M855A1 ammo is a completely new design. While it may appear to have a plastic “ballistic tip”, that’s deceiving. The new bullet created for M855A1 ammo has a bismuth-tin alloy core with a steel “stacked-cone” penetrating tip. The photo at right shows the version from last year; the final production version may be slightly different (e.g. the final version tip is a different color). Apparently the latest bullet design is a winner. During testing, M855A1 ammo performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets.

Hard target penetration is supposed to be better than the lead-core M855. I just hope it is effective in combat and not just adopted because these days lead bullets are considered by some to be politically incorrect.
-----
Ick
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Actually, going with Bismuth-Tin is LESS environmentally friendly than lead. Calculate the environmental costs of mining Bismuth and Tin, both of which is quite high, and lead comes out as the more environmentally friendly choice.

Bismuth is actually quite scarce, only about twice as abundant as gold. So I have no idea where the hell they are getting the supply.

Looing at current metal prices, this is the best info I could find:

Lead is selling for about $1,600 a ton
Basic steel is selling for about $415 a ton.
Copper is selling for about $6,300 a ton
Tin is selling for about $17,000 a ton
Bismuth is selling for about $16,000 a ton.

The supply of Bismuth is heavily dependent on recycling old Bismuth. Start using it like this in bullets on a massive scale and the price is going to greatly increase

Then again, watermellons don't give two sh*ts about whether something is good for the environment. As long as it "feels good" it must be right.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Well, the liberals banned DDT which may or may not save some birds but we KNOW that 250 million people a year get malaria.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

rsilvers wrote:Well, the liberals banned DDT which may or may not save some birds but we KNOW that 250 million people a year get malaria.
But what about all those mosquito nets they are giving out everywhere? Nets must be more effective than DDT.

The banning of DDT really get me. It is ridiculous that a bogus book with bogus science and a crooked marxist EPA got one of the most effective pesticides banned from the market and subsequently kills millions of people each year. DDT could have prevented 1-3 million malaria deaths per year for the last 38 years (so up to 114 million people, mostly children are dead because of the watermelons)
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

To be fair, it's "only" about a million people a year who die now from Malaria. That's only 40 million that the green movement has murdered. Before the ban it was down to 50,000 deaths per year.

A ban on agricultural use was legitimate, but banning it for controlling the Malaria mosquitoes is simply inexcusable.

rogerxd45
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerxd45 »

Crosshair wrote:Actually, going with Bismuth-Tin is LESS environmentally friendly than lead. Calculate the environmental costs of mining Bismuth and Tin, both of which is quite high, and lead comes out as the more environmentally friendly choice.

Bismuth is actually quite scarce, only about twice as abundant as gold. So I have no idea where the hell they are getting the supply.

The supply of Bismuth is heavily dependent on recycling old Bismuth. Start using it like this in bullets on a massive scale and the price is going to greatly increase

Then again, watermellons don't give two sh*ts about whether something is good for the environment. As long as it "feels good" it must be right.
actually Bismuth is 8 times more abundant in the earths crust

gold 3.1x10(-7)
.00000031%

bismuth 2.5X10(-6)
.0000025%

lead
.00099%

Iron
6.3%

tin
0.00022%
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

rogerxd45 wrote:
Crosshair wrote:Actually, going with Bismuth-Tin is LESS environmentally friendly than lead. Calculate the environmental costs of mining Bismuth and Tin, both of which is quite high, and lead comes out as the more environmentally friendly choice.

actually Bismuth is 8 times more abundant in the earths crust

gold 3.1x10(-7)
.00000031%

bismuth 2.5X10(-6)
.0000025%

lead
.00099%

Iron
6.3%

tin
0.00022%
Still, the point stands.

widlin1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by widlin1 »

I was told that there was (at least at some point in the development) a problem with jacket fouling building up much faster and plugging the gas port and that it was due to the absence of lead vapor from the exposed based on the M855. I know there were some 105 mm rounds that had lead foil on the inside of the case to keep fouling of the barrel down and they were banned in the CONUS but not in Europe.

Jeff
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

DDT, I loved the stuff, worked great, damn them for banning it.

As to the bullet or cartridge itself I wonder if it will be available to civilians in time?
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Hush wrote:DDT, I loved the stuff, worked great, damn them for banning it.

As to the bullet or cartridge itself I wonder if it will be available to civilians in time?

Why? There are far better rounds for SD/HD and LE use available.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Check out the chamber pressure on this new round.

Dropping one of those rounds in a gun with a match 223 chamber would be... interesting.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

smcharchan wrote:Check out the chamber pressure on this new round.

Dropping one of those rounds in a gun with a match 223 chamber would be... interesting.
Could be worse, they could have gone the route of LeMas and make every round a blue pill.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The military measured chamber pressure at the case mouth. SAAMI measures .223 pressure with a conforming sensor on the case. You can't really compare one to the other.

SAAMI proof rounds are 30% more than the max average pressure, BTW.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

I don't understand how that is more environment friendly. I can see how you might be talking about cost effective.
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Raines/762-SD wrote:I don't understand how that is more environment friendly. I can see how you might be talking about cost effective.
Price indicates many things. It indicates both scarcity and effort required to produce. Lead's lower price means it is both more abundant, relatively speaking, and/or easier to produce, requiring less environmentally damaging industry. The higher price of Tin and Bismuth indicate scarcity of those materials and/or large numbers of resources required to produce them. You don't use silver for household wiring, even though it's the best choice, so you use copper instead.

Mining lead is relatively straightforward and ore typically has a relatively high concentration. Mining Tin requires lots more energy and effort because it is far more scarce and deposits have lower concentrations, meaning more refining is necessary. Bismuth is produced largely as a byproduct from mining other metals and as such supply is dependent on the market for those other metals..