Best/Safest Factory Ammo for 10.5" 5.56 SBR While Shooting S

Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jake1199

Best/Safest Factory Ammo for 10.5" 5.56 SBR While Shooting S

Post by jake1199 »

Hello. I am currently running a LWRC M6A2 10.5" SBR with a SWR Specwar suppressor. What factory loaded ammo is the best/safest to shoot in terms of having the least chance of a baffle strike?
The M6A2 has a 1/7 twist rate. The SWR suppressor is mounted with the factory SWR quick-detach A2 mount. I timed/shimmed the mount and have put around 300 rounds through it so far.
Currently I have been shooting what ever is the cheapest: PMC Bronze, PMC X-Tac and Federal XM193 - all 55 gr weight.
I am very interested if there is a better factory loaded round that is "safer" to shoot suppressed (least likely to cause a baffle/end cap strike).

I utilized the search function to see if there was already a thread on the topic and I could not find one ( I apologize if there is already one).

Thanks
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best/Safest Factory Ammo for 10.5" 5.56 SBR While Shooti

Post by srt-4_uk »

jake1199

Post by jake1199 »

srt-4_uk wrote:http://www.keepshooting.com/223-5-56-bl ... n-dag.html

wont get any safer than these

good joke.. shooting these is probably similar to driving a Dodge srt-4.... no real performance.

I appreciate the suggestion, but am looking for an actual recommendation.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

It is an actual recommendation to your question.
jake1199 wrote:What factory loaded ammo is the best/safest to shoot in terms of having the least chance of a baffle strike?
jake1199

Post by jake1199 »

srt-4_uk wrote:It is an actual recommendation to your question.
jake1199 wrote:What factory loaded ammo is the best/safest to shoot in terms of having the least chance of a baffle strike?

I apologize if my post was unclear. I am looking for recommendations from those that have experience with shooting suppressed 5.56 SBRs in terms of what factory ammo (not blanks) they trust and use.

If you have experience with what I am asking, I appreciate your feed-back. If suggesting blanks is the best you can do, then troll elsewhere.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Any ammo that will stabilize in your rifle will be fine. Being a 1:7 twist opens your options to pretty much any ammo. As long as the mount stays tight, you wont have a problem.
jake1199

Post by jake1199 »

srt-4_uk wrote:Any ammo that will stabilize in your rifle will be fine. Being a 1:7 twist opens your options to pretty much any ammo. As long as the mount stays tight, you wont have a problem.
I appreciate this this information - this is along the lines of what I was looking for. I have done a little research online and some of the info I found on shooting suppressed 5.56 SBRs suggested 62gr weight bullets as they were more stable than the 55gr rounds. I was trying to confirm what other people with more experience than I were shooting in their suppressed SBRs. I understand that baffle/end cap strikes are always a risk, but if I could reduce that risk by shooting a certain type of ammo, I am open to experienced suggestions.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

srt-4_uk wrote:Any ammo that will stabilize in your rifle will be fine. Being a 1:7 twist opens your options to pretty much any ammo. As long as the mount stays tight, you wont have a problem.
This.

I have a Colt SBR with a 10.3" 1:7" twist barrel and an AAC M4-2000.

I have shot a ton of Winchester and Lake City M855 62 gr, XM193 55 gr, Winchester White Box 55 gr, a bunch of Hornady TAP 75 gr 5.56, and a few boxes of Black Hills 50 gr Barnes TSX.

Never a problem with any of it.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

any quality factory ammunition should be fine. if you're not sure whether something will stabilize, run a magazine of it through without the suppressor and inspect the target after each round (either up close or use a decent spotting scope). As long as you have no keyholes you'll be fine. As you're running 1:7 that really shouldn't be a problem anyway.