New toy. Nice platform for a new suppressor.

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: k31user

k31user
Industry Professional

New toy. Nice platform for a new suppressor.

Post by k31user »

Ive been planning to build a .308 for myself but haven't had any free time. Bill at EDM Arms made me an offer I couldn't refuse(or even think about for that matter) on one of his Mini Windrunners. I am going to be making a new suppressor for it shortly and will post a picture of it(for those who may not of seen it at Shot Show). Maybe Bill B or Mark can shoot me an email and I'll send a couple pictures for them to post here.

Ron
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

Man, that's sexy! It looks like you got the Nightforce with the factory zero stop on it too- So which can are ya gonna put on it?

k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Thanks Bill. I will have a suppressed M82 Barrett picture to post this weekend if you wouldn't mind. My pictures don't come out as nice as yours.
Ron
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

Send them on over when ya get around to taking them....

What can's goin on the Mini?
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

I thought the Barrett M82 didn't work properly with a silencer attached. That not an issue for the Ops Inc?
NRA Life Member
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

We suppressed one about 5 or 6 years ago and it worked very well. It shot extremely well at the .50 cal nationals in Raton. Then we started hearing about how the M82 would over function with a suppressor and damage the rifle. We had the opposite experience. Light loads would not cycle the action. 210 grains of H50BMG and a 750 grain v-max was the minimum(we shot 215gr. of H50BMG at Raton). I decided to try it again with a different rifle and see how it does. Maybe the first was a fluke, maybe the info on the failures was just to give Mr. Barrett time to get his own suppressor going.
RyanB
Silent But Deadly

Post by RyanB »

My understanding is that if you take weight off the Barret barrel equal to the weight of the can you're adding, it will be fine. Or you can mess with spring rates and such.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

RyanB wrote:My understanding is that if you take weight off the Barret barrel equal to the weight of the can you're adding, it will be fine. Or you can mess with spring rates and such.
I believe it has to do with the muzzle brake. The brake Barrett uses is very efficient, and the recoil force of the barrel is calculated with the brake on it.

Since most silencers do not function as well as the brake for recoil reduction, the barrel recoils with more force. This allows the barrel to accelerate to a higher velocity when the action cycles.
RyanB
Silent But Deadly

Post by RyanB »

Excellent point.
cowboy7242001
Silent But Deadly

Post by cowboy7242001 »

cant wait to see what you do with the Mini
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

I just sent some pictures of the bolt action .50 and suppressor to Bill. Hopefully he will be kind enough to post them for me. I should be able to get the Barrett finished and the picture posted today as well.

Ron
NF Optics-Bill
Silent But Deadly

Post by NF Optics-Bill »

k31user wrote:I just sent some pictures of the bolt action .50 and suppressor to Bill. Hopefully he will be kind enough to post them for me. I should be able to get the Barrett finished and the picture posted today as well.

Ron

I'm on things like a flash-they're already posted :wink: