.408 and .50 BMG cans

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: k31user

SCL
Silent But Deadly

.408 and .50 BMG cans

Post by SCL »

Ron/ K31
Are you looking to build more of these anytime soon? I have had an order with Ops Inc via FBMG since June 2006. :shock: Any insight you can share is appreciated!

SCL
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

I ordered a .408 can from them about 1.5 years ago, haven't heard a peep from them yet. Gave up and got one from AWC
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
SCL
Silent But Deadly

Post by SCL »

Landry,
What did you get and are you happy with it? Ops Inc came highly recommended to me from a guy I trust with a lot of long range, big-bore experience - which is why I wanted to go with them.

I don't mind waiting awhile for a quality can, but almost two years is getting to be a little crazy IMHO. Luckily, Uncle Sam has kept me deployed this entire time, so I am not shooting my Windrunners w/out a can - but it would be nice to have them built and delivered when I finally make it back to CONUS. If I could at least get an estimate of completion (i.e. another month or two at most from Ops Inc. I would stay patiently happy...) :)

SCL
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

I have no idea when I will have time to make them. If the AWC is working well for Landry308, it should work well for you also. There hasn't been any let up on 5.56 stuff and the .408 and .50 stuff is just sitting.
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

Got the AWC .408 for customer for his EDM Windrunner. He's using it on .408 Cheytac and .338 Lapua. I haven't fired it, but he states he's happy with it.
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
SCL
Silent But Deadly

Post by SCL »

k31user wrote:I have no idea when I will have time to make them. If the AWC is working well for Landry308, it should work well for you also. There hasn't been any let up on 5.56 stuff and the .408 and .50 stuff is just sitting.
Ron,
Thanks for your quick reply and candor - AWC may be an option but I already dropped several hundred bucks to have EDM contour my barrels specifically for the Ops Inc cans. Besides, I was told by someone with years of experience who was involved in .408 development that your cans were the best compared to several other manufacturers.

Good things come to those who wait, so I guess thats what I have to do.

SCL
SCL
Silent But Deadly

Post by SCL »

Landry,
I hit the two year anniversary on my order and opted to cancel it - two years is too long when there are other quality options available. I might have stuck it out longer if I had some idea as to how long it would take, but I find it difficult to believe that a manufacturer will not know when he is going to run something - purchasing materials, scheduling EDM time, assembly time, etc should at least give some idea as to when something will get built. At least Ron/K31 is upfront about saying they don't have a clue rather than the "it will be done in two weeks" which then becomes two months, then six months, etc.

I ordered two QSM cans which will still work on the threads of my three windrunner barrels even though they were profiled for Ops Inc cans. I am kind of peeved that I dropped several c-notes to get my rifles specifically contoured for Ops Inc cans, but I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. I just heard a QSM can on a colleagues bolt gun and was impressed to say the least - very lightweight and comparable suppression compared to heavier steel cans. POA/POI shift was negligible at best. It was enough to make me decide to go with QSM in addition to the timely responses by QSM to all of my queries. These will be my first Ti cans, which should be fine on bolt guns. I'll save steel for my semi and full autos.

I will give credit to Ops Inc because unlike some manufacturers, they do not take your money up front and then build your can. They charge after the can is built, which makes sense when they cannot tell you if/when they are going to build your can, if ever. I would be super pissed if I had sent several grand to them and they sat on it for two years and did nothing.

If I have enough time between deployments I hope to do a detailed write up on the QSM cans so folks on the board can get a better idea of how these cans stack up. I have several other shooting buddies and colleagues who were going to go the Ops Inc route on their big bores as well who are now going with AAC, AWC, QSM, and one is flirting with STW and another with Elite Iron. It will be interesting to shoot them all together and compare them - hopefully Uncle Sam will help out with our deployment schedules so we can make it happen.

SCL
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

SCL wrote:

If I have enough time between deployments I hope to do a detailed write up on the QSM cans so folks on the board can get a better idea of how these cans stack up. I have several other shooting buddies and colleagues who were going to go the Ops Inc route on their big bores as well who are now going with AAC, AWC, QSM, and one is flirting with STW and another with Elite Iron. It will be interesting to shoot them all together and compare them - hopefully Uncle Sam will help out with our deployment schedules so we can make it happen.

SCL

Sorry to hear about your experience with Ops mine was similar, but I am really excited to hear your review on all the other cans.
Good luck,
Paul
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Glad to hear that you were able to find something from another manufacturer. I have heard alot of good things about the current .50's available. I doubt that you could go wrong with any of them.
Hootiewho
Super Dunce

Post by Hootiewho »

k31user wrote:Glad to hear that you were able to find something from another manufacturer. I have heard alot of good things about the current .50's available. I doubt that you could go wrong with any of them.
IMHO, this kind of attitude speaks volumes of character of the Ops people. You guys are a top notch company.
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

[quote="SCL"]Landry,

I ordered two QSM cans which will still work on the threads of my three windrunner barrels even though they were profiled for Ops Inc cans. I am kind of peeved that I dropped several c-notes to get my rifles specifically contoured for Ops Inc cans, but I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. SCL[/quote]

Sorry i did not notice this earlier. Pdemos paid someone to contour his barrel and i refunded him the money. I do not own Ops Inc and this comes out of my pocket, but I will extend the same offer to you. Just send me the bill showing what you were charged and i will send you a check. It isn't much, but it is about all i can do to make it right.
Ron
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I might PM him if you already haven't, he may not be rechecking this thread, he posted about a month ago.

(Just trying to be helpful.)
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Feel free to pm him.
SCL
Silent But Deadly

Post by SCL »

k31user wrote:
SCL wrote:Landry,

I ordered two QSM cans which will still work on the threads of my three windrunner barrels even though they were profiled for Ops Inc cans. I am kind of peeved that I dropped several c-notes to get my rifles specifically contoured for Ops Inc cans, but I'll chalk it up as a learning experience. SCL
Sorry i did not notice this earlier. Pdemos paid someone to contour his barrel and i refunded him the money. I do not own Ops Inc and this comes out of my pocket, but I will extend the same offer to you. Just send me the bill showing what you were charged and i will send you a check. It isn't much, but it is about all i can do to make it right.
Ron
K31,
Thanks for the generous offer - I am currently recovering from surgery and will look for the receipt when I am a bit more ambulatory. I greatly appreciate your generous offer and will PM you in a week or so when I find the receipt.

Regards,
SCL