A2 FH Vs Surefire MB Vs Triple Tap Vs 5.56 MAMS

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

A2 FH Vs Surefire MB Vs Triple Tap Vs 5.56 MAMS

Post by Tom12.7 »

I don't have a lot of time for a more detailed post, so I'll update this later

The muzzle devices:
1) Regular A2 flash hider
2) Surefire muzzle brake for their cans
3) KAC Triple Tap
4) KAC 5.56 MAMS

The uppers:
1) Out of the box SR-15 MOD 1
2) MOD 1 cut to 14.5" with stock gas port
3) KAC 14.5" with dimpled barrel and supplied buffer
4) KAC 11.5" block 3

The lower:
KAC block 3 SBR lower

The original rifle is a complete KAC block 3 11.5" SBR. Same lower used on all these uppers

I removed all of the original muzzle devices and bagged up KAC shims separately from my stash to "Time" each on to each rifle at the range to save time. I only have one 5.56 MAMS at the moment, but more on order.

The A2 FH is OK, but I'll leave it at that.

The Surefire MB is great for a compensator for recoil, but the blast and flash is nasty, especially around walls or anything else that'll reflect it back to you or others.

Triple Tap is pretty good, It'll reduce recoil OK and not blast everything in the area as bad as an open brake. It does drive the muzzle on shorter barrels. Seems to work very well with 14.5'-16", going shorter to 11.5" it pushes some. It can be timed offset slightly, but it makes me (myself) shoot worse when shooting left handed, and honestly I need all the help I can get shooting left.

5.56 MAMS is a dramatic step forward, recoil control is similar to the Surefire MB without as much blast. Muzzle blast is similar to the Triple Tap, not the same though. Flash didn't seem as bad at all compared to the others. As a plus, it didn't seem to drive the muzzle on the shorter barrel.

Overall, the 5.56 MAMS exceeded my expectations, I really thought it would 'Thump me harder", "Drive the muzzle on shorties", or "Throw some fire".

Out of time, EDIT later
Cartel

Re: A2 FH Vs Surefire MB Vs Triple Tap Vs 5.56 MAMS

Post by Cartel »

Thank you for the timely review! Say no more, you have sold me on a 5.56 MAMS!
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Per email request, all ammo was M193, LC 09, same lot #'s.
John4045
Silent Operator

Post by John4045 »

Great write-up and thank you for the info.
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

VERY interesting!
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Just a quick update per requests. I can be more thorough when I get caught up.

The factory MOD1 was shot with a H1 buffer.
The 14.5" MOD1 was shot with a CAR buffer.

I did try a Noveske mid gas 13.7" barrel with the MAMS, the results were the same as above in the original post.
On a Colt 20" A2, the brakes didn't do as much for recoil, any of them as much as the carbines, but the open brake was a flame thrower at night.
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

This thread needs photos. :wink:
gyz
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gyz »

I think the MAMS tightened my groups. At 100yds with an Elcan 1.5-6x I put all in one hole basically. Clover leafed them. Probably just luck but that's one of the best groups I've shot!! CQBSS will be here shortly so well see how that set up works.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

You could possibly be onto something about tightening up groups.
I have some 14.5" 5.56 guns that shoot 70gr TSX loads well, and others that don't.
Removing the muzzle devices help some of the ones that didn't do so good. I'm thinking that these bullets are easily upset exiting the muzzle. I have swapped the MAMS onto a few known good ones without losing accuracy so far. That's something I can't do with some other muzzle devices.
So I'm guessing its possible if the bullet gets upset less with the MAMS than what you had before, you could improve accuracy.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Just got a lot more MAMS in, gonna do some more testing this weekend.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

I've done a lot more shooting with the 5.56 MAMS. I'm really enjoying it, pretty much the way to go when you want a brake. Stays pretty neutral, great recoil control, not much flash, blast is better than other brakes I've tried that control recoil well.
It looks like these are going to find permanent homes on some 11.5" through 17"-18" barrels. Going longer than 17"-18" seems to get in the area of diminishing returns. I also tried a 7.5", 9", and a couple of 10.3"/10.5" guns. It's pretty crazy to use any brake on the really short guns unless its 100% suppressed and used to reduce blast baffle erosion. The MAMS wasn't an exception to the rule to me. The recoil control was good on the 10.3/10.5" guns, but I was really surprised how much the blast increased going from 11.5" down to 10.3"/10.5". Who'd of thought an inch could make so much of a difference?
On a side note. The 20" gun I tried out earlier seemed to have noticeably less flash with NO muzzle device than with the Surefire brake installed. Maybe the large ports increase muzzle flash? Not sure, but it did seem odd?
Blackfoot_7

Post by Blackfoot_7 »

Tom, thanks for posting your impressions. I'm all but sold on acquiring the 5.56 MAMS for my MOD1, which is currently wearing a QD NT4 FH mount. I don't plan on suppressing it though.
Closet Operator
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

I think a MAMS is a great choice for a MOD 1, even if you never plan on suppressing it. That with a Colt H1 buffer is very smooth shooting, and runs well on all but the weakest of ammo. The only thing smoother for that combo is an A5 buffer system, but the gain is little in this combo compared to other carbines.
In my post above, I may have come off wrong about using the MAMS on longer barrels. It's as effective as other good brakes. Just doesn't seem to dampen as dramatically going from no muzzle device to the brake. I may try out a 24" this weekend or next, just to see what happens.
Blackfoot_7

Post by Blackfoot_7 »

Tom12.7 wrote:I think a MAMS is a great choice for a MOD 1, even if you never plan on suppressing it. That with a Colt H1 buffer is very smooth shooting, and runs well on all but the weakest of ammo. The only thing smoother for that combo is an A5 buffer system, but the gain is little in this combo compared to other carbines.
In my post above, I may have come off wrong about using the MAMS on longer barrels. It's as effective as other good brakes. Just doesn't seem to dampen as dramatically going from no muzzle device to the brake. I may try out a 24" this weekend or next, just to see what happens.
I scored a brand new complete KAC M4/M16 QD flash suppressor set a local gun show for $30 out the door, so I want to run that for a while before I commit to a MAMS, which is backordered 2 months at least anyway. Thing is, now that I have it I'm tempted to run an NT4, but it just seems like a no-brainer to invest in the QDC system instead. Decisions decisions...
Closet Operator
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

There's nothing wrong with a NT4, but there's added features with the QDC line. Reduced weight is a big one for me, lighter makes it easier to run the gun. Locking up tighter and having 2 sizes of cans is a plus for me also. The new series of KAC flash hiders and brakes are an improvement over the older ones. I don't plan on selling my NT4s, but I don't think I'll be buying any more.
Blackfoot_7

Post by Blackfoot_7 »

Tom12.7 wrote:There's nothing wrong with a NT4, but there's added features with the QDC line. Reduced weight is a big one for me, lighter makes it easier to run the gun. Locking up tighter and having 2 sizes of cans is a plus for me also. The new series of KAC flash hiders and brakes are an improvement over the older ones. I don't plan on selling my NT4s, but I don't think I'll be buying any more.
Well, if you do plan on selling one of your NT4s I'd be interested... :wink:
Closet Operator
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

How did you measure flash, blast, rise, and recoil?
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

It wasn't scientific at all really. Feedback from multiple shooters and bystanders, some day and night video, using shot timers, comparing burn marks on freshly painted barricades. Nothing like a lab with specialized equipment.
MSTN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MSTN »

We just got in our first shipment of the 5.56 MAMS. I'm looking forward to trying it out, myself.

Good shooting,

Wes Grant
MSTN