Red Loctite...

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

pathfinderheli
Senior Silent Operator

Red Loctite...

Post by pathfinderheli »

So my armorer uses red loctite...

I removed my URX II from the upper / barrel but it took quite a bit of heat from the blowtorch. Should I go ahead and get a new upper receiver due to the heat applied?

I'll be sure and use the blue from now on now that I have a URX wrench at my disposal...

Pics to follow...
CharlieMike

Re: Red Loctite...

Post by CharlieMike »

Ugh -- red loctite on URXes sucks IMHO.

I've applied quite a bit of heat to redloctited URXes in the past and I haven't had any problems. Regular butane torches don't get hot enough to readily melt anodized aluminum. Aluminum oxide has a melting point right around an air butane torch's max temperature (around 2000 - 2300 degrees) and it is a really poor heat conductor. That combined with the fact that it cools in air relatively quickly prevents it from ever actually melting.

I've given barrel nuts many minutes of direct heat without any issues. You may have trouble with other gases like MAPP though.

If you used a butane torch and it looks okay I think you'll be fine.

eta: Of course YMMV. I'm not saying you *can't* melt anodized aluminum with a butane torch. I have a good friend who removed a FSB by driving the pins out the wrong way. It took quite a bit of determination. I think he could melt a URX and you can too if you try hard enough.
Knight's Armament Dealer, FFL/SOT
[email protected]
407-308-2926
pathfinderheli
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pathfinderheli »

I used a propane torch... like the plumbers do... The upper and URX are Cerkoted and the coatings held up just fine so I'm assuming there is no damage. I did notice that the barrel seems to fit quite loose in the upper. Never noticed this before as I did not build the upper and would have no idea if this was the case. Will that present any issues?
lawmens
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawmens »

Most likely the fit concern is because the barrel steel may have been heated subsequently while trying to remove the URX barrel nut causing a tighter fit within your upper. However, when reinstalled, if there is only a little movement but seats correctly in the upper receiver I wouldn't put too much worry into it. Also on any of the URX parts NEVER USE RED LOCTITE, that goes for the barrel nut, upper receiver threads, or URX side screws; unless you enjoy turmoil.
CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike »

pathfinderheli wrote:I used a propane torch... like the plumbers do... The upper and URX are Cerkoted and the coatings held up just fine so I'm assuming there is no damage.
Even better. Propane burns a little cooler than butane.
I did notice that the barrel seems to fit quite loose in the upper. Never noticed this before as I did not build the upper and would have no idea if this was the case. Will that present any issues?
I've seen a pretty wide variation of barrel/upper fit. Some require a mallet to install and remove and others are really loose. As long as the parts aren't way out of spec it shouldn't be a problem and of course this isn't something you'll notice until you remove the barrel retaining nut. Once everything is torqued down, you should be fine.
[email protected]
407-308-2926
CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike »

pathfinderheli wrote:So my armorer uses red loctite...
Just curious: Who was it?
[email protected]
407-308-2926
pathfinderheli
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pathfinderheli »

PM sent...
CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike »

pathfinderheli wrote:PM sent...
Got it. He's a good guy. I ask because it is good to know who uses red loctite so when someone sends an upper that requires disassembly, I can plan and even charge accordingly. As you know now, dealing with red loctite is a huge hassle. My list grew today. :^)
[email protected]
407-308-2926