Is the QDSS safe to use an a 10.3 barrel?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

CKxx

Is the QDSS safe to use an a 10.3 barrel?

Post by CKxx »

I built a MK18 Mod0 clone and now I want the can for it. I'm pretty sure the navy uses these, but when they destroy things, they get new ones for free. What is the life expectancy of this can when used on a 10.3" semi?
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I was told to expect 5,000 rounds or so. I have about 2,000 rounds through my NT4 now, all from a 10.5 inch barrel. I can tell you that the short barrels are brutal. I hope to get another 3,000 rounds through mine before serious performance loss.

I still love it though.

Rob
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

It all depends on the firing schedule but 5000 rnds of heavy use is a good number. The can will not self destruct at that point but you will have significant wear on the first baffle.
C Reed Knight III
Knight's Armament Company
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/
new-arguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by new-arguy »

I have an older M4QD KAC can that has seen well over 5000 rounds, almost all on short barrel. I bought it off chromeluv. Its been through at least 5 classes and as "try me free gun" at the last AAC suppressor shoot. We've erroded through a large section of the top of the first baffle, into the second and possibly the third. I dont shoot it often anymore, it mostly just sits as a display on a MK18 clone where I work. It looks bad ass and will still shoot, just not as quiet as it was when we got it.
new-arguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by new-arguy »

CKxx

Post by CKxx »

Thank you for the replies!

Would switching to an 11.5 alleviate these issues, or is 14.5 really the only option that won't destroy the suppressor?
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

3 wrote:It all depends on the firing schedule but 5000 rnds of heavy use is a good number. The can will not self destruct at that point but you will have significant wear on the first baffle.
Is this something we can get repaired?
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

Going to a 14.5" bbl will double if not triple the life of the can. A eroded baffle/baffles is not repairable . KAC does not have a replacement policy for cans used under these circumstances. It is normal wear. I would equate it to a pair of tires that are rated for 40,000 miles but are worn out at 10,000 due to drag racing.
There is new ammo with a burn rate optimized for a 10" bbl which should improve the life of cans fired on short bbls. I do not think this/these ammo is commercially available .
C Reed Knight III
Knight's Armament Company
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/
post tensioned
Silent But Deadly

Post by post tensioned »

I remember reading on here about the inconel muzzle brake you guys make that reduces wear on the baffles. Am I remembering this correctly?
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

3 wrote:Going to a 14.5" bbl will double if not triple the life of the can. A eroded baffle/baffles is not repairable . KAC does not have a replacement policy for cans used under these circumstances. It is normal wear. I would equate it to a pair of tires that are rated for 40,000 miles but are worn out at 10,000 due to drag racing.
There is new ammo with a burn rate optimized for a 10" bbl which should improve the life of cans fired on short bbls. I do not think this/these ammo is commercially available .

I only use my NT4 on my Sig 556. I was just wondering if it was repairable if I ever wear it out down the road.

I DO need another mount for it though, I guess I can get one from Renegade or do I need to order it from KAC?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

so would it be safe to say that if you used your NT4 on a 12.5 barrel you could expect 10,000 rounds or close too at least?