M4QD/QDSS-NT4 Mix up?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

Predator

M4QD/QDSS-NT4 Mix up?

Post by Predator »

Hi Everyone,

I just ran into an interesting little problem that I would like to get some feedback on.

Back in July 09' I ordered up a "KAC QDSS-NT4" (I'm not going to mention from who), for $1,500. The can was transferred to my FFL/SOT on form 3 and on the form the model was marked "QDSSNT4".

When I went to transfer the can to myself on Form 4 I copied the form 3, so the model was marked "QDSSNT4" on the form 4. I've been pending on this can since November 4th by the way, so it's really taking a long time. At any rate a week ago my SOT gets my form 4 back "not approved" because the "model number" doesn't match what the ATF has on record for the serial number.

My dealer calls the ATF and they tell him the model number on the can is "M4QD" and not "QDSSNT4". So this is all very odd seeing how the ATF transferred it as a QDSSNT4 on the Form 3 but not on the Form 4.

At any rate, my SOT checks the physical can and sure enough it's marked "M4QD", however the box it came in is marked "NT4". The serial number on the box matches the serial number on the can.

The can looks like a QDSS-NT4, however some pictures I've seen of the M4QD, it looks the same.

So I guess I have a M4QD and not a QDSS-NT4 which is what I wanted? Is it possible that Knight's mis-labeled the box for a M4QD as a NT4, so it was sold as such?

What exactly are the differences between the M4QD and the QDSSNT4? Should I not worry about it and have my SOT fix the Form 4 to say M4QD and send it back to ATF to be immediately approved?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight into this matter. :)
Predator

Post by Predator »

Since the OP, I've come to find out that KAC had some "transitional" M4QD's that were built with QDSS-NT4 components. I think that must be what I have since it looks exactly like a QDSS-NT4, with the exception of the M4QD marking.

Now I'm just hoping this new can has inconel baffles. :?

I don't suppose anyone here can tell me if there is a way to check to see if I have inconel baffles?
Elite Industry Professional

Post by 3 »

The two silencers are all but identical with different names. There are some very minor internal dimensional differences but nothing even I can tell from the outside. The new name came about because the NT4 was one of a few designs proposed for the solicitation and different names were needed to tell them apart. The rest of your question or issue I can't really coment on until I speak with someone in the department that handles transfers .
C Reed Knight III
Knight's Armament Company
http://www.knightarmco.com/
http://www.lawmens.net/