To TripleTap or not?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: 3, KevinB

mcmillanman5
Silent But Deadly

To TripleTap or not?

Post by mcmillanman5 »

I am closing in on my specialrun build. It is a 12.5" bbl and I am trying to decide whether or not to get a tripletap.

My question for you guys that have them is how do you like them? Do any of you shoot in lowlight situations, if so how is the flash?

I shoot mostly in the daylight but do shoot regularly with nightvision and I don't own an NT4, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
cwilliams
Elite Member

Post by cwilliams »

I roll mine on the "costa" type upper. I will say that I fully appreciate the triple tap however if I was using NV I would probably go with some form of suppression. IE my 11.5 with brake is for day and I have a different rifle for night ops with aac suppressor. if i knew then what i know know i would have purchased the NT4 just for the fact i could use it on everything i run. at the time i purchased the spr/m4. "awesome suppressor also"
pacrimguru
Silent But Deadly

Post by pacrimguru »

i love my triple taps and don't want to use anything else anymore, but they do like to spit out fire. you might want to look into something else if you need some flash suppression.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

pacrimguru wrote:i love my triple taps and don't want to use anything else anymore, but they do like to spit out fire. you might want to look into something else if you need some flash suppression.
+1
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
mcmillanman5
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcmillanman5 »

Thanks gentlemen for your replies.
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

If you have access to Black-Hills ammuntion 70gr (Brown Tip Optimized 5.56mm) or Mk262 or ATK's 62gr SOST, these ammuntions have flash suppressants in them that make the flash a non issue.

However for commercial ammuntion or M855 ammuntion, with short barrels you will notice a great deal of flash.

One solution is the NT-4 when your in low light.
Kevin S. Boland

Director of Military Operations
Knight's Armament Company
701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

http://www.knightarmco.com
lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawndartdesign »

hah, "I've got a huge fireball coming out of my Triple Tap, suggestions?"

"Get an NT4"

I went that route, well...as soon as the ATF gets my dang Form 4 finished up.

I find the flash just does not happen on my 16" SR-15. But it's basically every other shot on my 11.5 Costa style upper.
Social Casualty

Post by Social Casualty »

pacrimguru wrote:i love my triple taps and don't want to use anything else anymore, but they do like to spit out fire. you might want to look into something else if you need some flash suppression.
+2 Once you TAP you'll never go back
mp5
Elite Member

Post by mp5 »

Is the extra $300+ for theTTB worth it? IMHO not unless you get an NT4.

Considering the price, I would not buy a Triple Tap unless an NT4 is in the plan. The AAC brake was also pretty good in recoil/flip suppression, without as much upward-directed flash, in daylight anyway. It does have a little bit more side blast than the TTB.

YMMV

Then there Is the "coolness" factor. If you have the dough you will feel "cooler", that is if the people around you know it is cool too!

Compare...
[/img]
Regards,

Jorge
jbo723
Silent But Deadly

Post by jbo723 »

The TTB was the very first aftermarket brake/comp I ever purchased besides a Vortex. I never knew what it was like to reduce recoil other than adding a suppressor. I must say that I was very impressed with the way it reduces the muzzle rise in my SBR's. I have to admit that the only reason I got them, is due to the fact that I had 2 NT4s on order prior to them being released for commercial sale and it made sense from my point of view to give one a try. After I did, I loved it so much that I now have 3 of them. I've read that the FSC556 and a few others give the same performance but, I'm a KAC guy at heart and it was a must have for me. YMMV..
Freedom is not Free...
Artfanantic-archive
Silent But Deadly

Misunderstood Design Mission?

Post by Artfanantic-archive »

All of my AR platforms will soon be on the TT. From what i have gathered. It's a compensator, blast baffel, but not a flash hider.

I would be enjoy having the record set strait about the design mission. In the meantime, I remember reading some where here in ST that it was designed to enhance the NT4 life. (Another post is discussion life of the NT4, maybe this is a solution for blast baffle erosion) I think it may have some competitive shooting roots too. I have seen on one occasion and while showing off the TT heard many citations about A2 with washers welded to them to enhance (the word of the year) the recoil force. (back to Easter)
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I thought the NT4 was all inconel and that's why it was so R-tardly heavy. If it has blast erosion issues then why in the world would any civilian use it? Seeing as it's already very loud.

Maybe I'm missing some other desirable silencer performance metric? Other than it says KAC on it?
lawndartdesign
Silent But Deadly

Post by lawndartdesign »

Inconel is actually very light.
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

It's the size of the baffles. The firing schedule of the can required the heavy baffles.

The Triple Tap can be used as a sacrificial baffle, it will prolonged the life and sound suppression of a NT3 or NT4.

It was originally part of a NT3 kit, which was never a commercial release.

As far as civilian use goes, our can will outlast the rest, why pay a $200 tax on a can that will wear out in a relatively short amount of rounds?
I'm not bagging on LW cans but just trying to throw out one rationale.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

S-1
Silent Operator

Post by S-1 »

este wrote:I thought the NT4 was all inconel and that's why it was so R-tardly heavy. If it has blast erosion issues then why in the world would any civilian use it? Seeing as it's already very loud.

Maybe I'm missing some other desirable silencer performance metric? Other than it says KAC on it?
The NT4 has no more "issues" than any other can. In fact, I would put money on the NT4 to out last any other suppressor on the market, given that they have the same firing schedule.

As for the loud comment... Have you heard the NT4? Every 5.56 can that I have heard sound pretty much the same. The thing that makes a difference to me is the tone of them. Some are higher pitched and some are lower pitched, such as the NT4. The lower pitched tone of the NT4 makes it much more desirable to me than the other suppressors that I've heard.
badcatbigbat
Silent Operator

Post by badcatbigbat »

Will the Gemtech HALO fit on the Triple Tap?
A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie Miller, Texas Ranger. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a bitch if it wasn't dangerous."
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

badcatbigbat wrote:Will the Gemtech HALO fit on the Triple Tap?
Sort of.

As our M4QD Comp and TT are longer than an A2 they do not fit properly, they will go on.

However the four HALO's we had suffered serious 6" + POI shifts on both my SR-16 Recce Rifle and M4A1's - which I attributed to the fact they could not screw on as much as they would have with an A2 FH.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

TRON

Post by TRON »

how much length does a TT add to a 14.5 BBL
KevinB
Silent But Deadly

Post by KevinB »

The OAL of the TT is 1.85"

The length added is aprox 1.2755 by my basic measuring of the OAL and sticking my micrometer down my M4A1 upper here to reach the muzzle crown.
Kevin S. Boland

701 Columbia Blvd.
Titusville, Fl 32780

Ph 321-607-9956
Cell 407-451-4544
Fax 321-383-2143

TRON

Post by TRON »

KEVIN thanks for being a wealth of knowledge..