SACO NM M14 barrels?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Slick
Silent But Deadly

SACO NM M14 barrels?

Post by Slick »

Anyone know what markings are on a Saco Defense GI weight NM M14 barrel?

Do they all have the "NM" near the muzzle? I have a barrel in one of my old boxes of parts that has a tube with the correct NSN for a USGI LW NM M14 barrel (1005-00-018-3255), but the barrel inside does not have "NM" near the muzzle. It does have the same date stamp as the tube and is "SAK" marked.

will the numbers on the barrel tell me anything? Thanks!

ETA: It's not chrome-lined, so I guess it is a NM, but why wouldn't it be marked?
Different

Post by Different »

The chromium plated barrels have the number 790190 and will be standard contour. The USGI standard contour NM barrels were marked 7791362. A USGI contract medium weight NM barrel will have the number 9345206.

Saco-Lowell M14 barrels are identified by SAK or 26978 for the manufacturer ID.

From the July 04, 2007 draft of the Third Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development:

"A typical USGI M14 barrel marking is as follows: H R 7790190 1 63 AK. H R is the manufacturer, Harrington & Richardson, Inc. 7790190 is the USGI drawing number for the M14 chromium plated barrel. 1 63 is the month and year of manufacture, January 1963. AK was the material lot for the steel used to make this particular barrel. Typically, the barrel manufacturer, drawing number, date and material lot are visible by simply retracting and locking the operating rod. The exception to this rule is that some Canadian Arsenals (National Match), Springfield Armory, and Winchester barrels require the hand guard to be removed to see the factory markings.

USGI M14 barrels that have passed all inspections will have the DOD acceptance stamp, magnetic particle inspection M stamp and the proof firing circle P stamp all on the chamber exterior. If there is a punch mark just inside or just outside the circle of the proof firing stamp it means the barrel was removed from a M14 rifle by the military, nothing more, nothing less."
Slick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Slick »

Different wrote:The USGI standard contour NM barrels were marked 7791362.
Yes, it is marked like that. Thanks for the info!
dieselten
Silent But Deadly

Post by dieselten »

The NM marking on the two that I have had are extremely light, you really have to look hard to see it.