Shot shells with suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

nashoba
Silent Operator

Shot shells with suppressor

Post by nashoba »

Is it possible to shoot .22 shotshells through a suppressor without causing damge to baffles? I guess it would matter weather it's on a pistol or rifle since barrel length would cause the shot pattern to spread differently?Anyone ever tried it..and if so how did it work?
NAM
Silent But Deadly

Post by NAM »

I don't know.

With that in mind, i shot a Drozd full auto BB gun with my suppressor on it. Worked ok. Then one of the BB's hit the endcap and left one heck of a crater in it.

So with that in mind, i would recommend against it.
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

Sounds like a horrible idea to me.
WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhiteKnight »

Why would you even want to do this? :roll:
NewGunner
Silent Operator

Post by NewGunner »

Thinking about the nature and construction of shotshells, I would vote bad idea.
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

I'm gonna say bad idea.
I don't think I want to even try that on my demo crusader. it would be interesting to see how many make it out of the can though.

the real problem lies with the rifiling spinning the shot making it want to fly out from the bore axis.
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

I think the silencer could get really heavy after a box or two of rat shot :D .
NewGunner
Silent Operator

Post by NewGunner »

Wilder wrote:I think the silencer could get really heavy after a box or two of rat shot :D .
Hah!
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I would highly recommend against doing it .
Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

Aim more carefully and use solid bullets :wink:
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

Shot spreads out pretty slowly. You could do some tests to see what the pattern size is say 6" from the muzzle. There may be some distantly remote possibility that you could use a 9mm suppressor with .22 shot. But I doubt it.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Cortland wrote:Shot spreads out pretty slowly. You could do some tests to see what the pattern size is say 6" from the muzzle. There may be some distantly remote possibility that you could use a 9mm suppressor with .22 shot. But I doubt it.
6" from the muzzle you won't be tell anything.

I wouldn't do it.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

How you be figure? If the pattern diameter is sufficiently small at that distance then isn't there some chance that all the shot may clear a suppressor of sufficiently large bore diameter?
nashoba
Silent Operator

We are going

Post by nashoba »

to test the pattern at about 7in. to see what the diameter of the shot pattern is.My friend has a mossberg .22 smooth bore that has a barrel already theaded for factory choke tubes.For him it's the "cool factor"of owning a suppressed .22 smooth bore. 8) If testing shows he can do it..fine..if not..then it's no big deal :wink: I do know that rifle holds one hell of a pattern at about 15ft.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I think this voids your suppressor warranty just considering it. :shock: :lol:
NewGunner
Silent Operator

Post by NewGunner »

There's only one way to find out!

Post AAR and Pics! :lol:
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Cortland wrote:
How you be figure? If the pattern diameter is sufficiently small at that distance then isn't there some chance that all the shot may clear a suppressor of sufficiently large bore diameter?
The muzzle blast would blow a hole through your target destroying any pattern created.

I guess you could use something made out of plastic. Like a plastic container lid, but it still might blow a bigger hole in it.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

Why is it some people seem to have a compulsion to do stupid things with silencers? :roll:
nashoba
Silent Operator

shotshells

Post by nashoba »

if you read Al Paulsons silencer book,volume one,page 178,you will see "Shot Cartridges up to .45 caliber work perfectly in the silencer and make noiseless miniature trap shooting possible without disturbance or danger".This is intended for the Maxim silencer and I don't know how the new design suppressors would handle this..but's it's quite obvious it's be done before.
Golovko
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Golovko »

tmix wrote:The muzzle blast would blow a hole through your target destroying any pattern created.

I guess you could use something made out of plastic. Like a plastic container lid, but it still might blow a bigger hole in it.
Rumor has it that there are targets so tough and so thick that even the mighty blast of .22 shotshells would fail to penetrate. Just about any chunk of wood ought to do for such a purpose. I'm pretty sure a 2x4 would be able to endure anything a .22 shotshell could dish out.

As for the original poster, there are shotgun silencers that rely on a perforated tube running the entire length of the silencer. It's much like having a ported barrel to reduce velocity, except that in a shotgun silencer the tube is intended to keep the shot cup intact so that the shot cannot strike any baffles--not that modern baffles would likely be used in such a design. For the purposes of suppressing pistol-caliber shotshells, a perforated tube surrounded by wire mesh, steel wool, beads, or whatever other '70's era technology has been used should be just fine for the purpose. Of course this means building the silencer rather than purchasing a current production off-the-shelf silencer.

Since pistol-caliber shotgun shells don't work in precisely the same manner as their true shotgun counterparts (fragile outer shell versus flexible shot cup) the ports on ther perforated tube might need to be angled rearward so that errant shot still gets forced down the bore. Such a design doesn't lend itself well to accuracy and performance, but then again neither do pistol-caliber shotshells.