what states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Hunting in general, or with a suppressor.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TriggerTime

Post by TriggerTime »

kletzenklueffer,

Who have you contacted at the DNR?? Have you spoke to Capt. Bell out in the Social Circle office?? I would focus on the coyote/pig population problem.

With several Can companies located in GA you may want to get some factory support when you make your presentation. Let the DNR guys get it straight form the guys that build them.

Just my .02$
Do away with the CRACK---use a CAN
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

beerslurpy wrote:You can't hunt with a silencer in Florida, so I keep quiet about it.

Also don't think that railing vermin with the 45 really counts as hunting. Havent been any court cases on the subject as far as I can tell. And beleive me, I have looked high and low.

This is true; however, there is one exception. One may hunt hogs in FL with suppressors if the hogs are on private land. This is because hogs are not considered game animals, but rather livestock belonging to the owner of the property they inhabit.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhiteKnight »

In regards to NC, I got the NCWRC mailing address for general questions. I plan on sending them a letter today to receive a written reply on the silencer/hunting issue.

1717 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699
Lars
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lars »

It is illegal in NH. I asked the F&G Dept. It isnt clearly stated in our Hunters Digest (where it clearly makes mention of the machine gun), but the laws state that it is illegal.
from Bruce N Bonenfant
to [email protected]
date Jun 29, 2007 12:52 PM
subject RE: Hunting Regulation Question

Lars,
It is illegal to hunt with a supressor in NH. The one exception is for a commercial agriculture operation that has been issued a Depredation Permit for nuisance deer. Under that permit, a legally possessed supressor, or silencer may be used for taking the deer at night. The law is posted below.

207:4 Silencing Devices. –
I. No person shall possess a rifle, pistol, or other firearm fitted or contrived with any silencer or device for deadening the sound of explosion, for the purpose of taking wildlife. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of a muzzle brake, polychoke, or compensator.
II. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a person who has obtained a depredation permit issued by the executive director of fish and game from taking wildlife under such permit using a lawfully obtained silencing device.

I hope this is helpful.

Lt. Bruce Bonenfant
Administrative Lieutenant
Law Enforcement Division
NH Fish and Game Department
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3127

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:22 PM
To: lawenforcement
Subject: Hunting Regulation Question

It explicitly states in the Hunting Digest that it is illegal to hunt with a fully automatic firearm or semi automatic rifle with more than (5) rounds of ammunition in the magazine. My question is, it doesn't state it is illegal to hunt with a rifle with a Sound Suppressor. Can you concur my assumption that it is legal to hunt with a legally owned sound suppressor.

Regards,
Lars
Concord, NH
Umlaut Industries LLC
WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhiteKnight »

I spoke to someone at the NCWRC today and he said he's sent a letter also.

Silencers for hunting in NC are prohibited.

G.S. 113-291.1

(c) It is a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person taking wildlife to have in his
possession any:
(1) Firearm equipped with a silencer or any device designed to silence,
muffle, or minimize the report of the firearm. The firearm is
considered equipped with the silencer or device whether it is attached
to the firearm or separate but reasonably accessible for attachment
during the taking of the wildlife.
WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhiteKnight »

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation ... -291.1.pdf

Can't figure out how to edit the above post, but here is the link to the statute that he specified.
bart

Hunting Map

Post by bart »

I read through this thread several times and thought to myself that a map on hunting regs would be great. So I made one using the info from this thread, I understand that some information is contradictory, or there may some exemptions. Not only that, but it is only as good as the info contained on the net which I would not bet my hide on. Also I emailed South Dakota's Game Fish and Parks and got an answer directly from them as to the legality of hunting with a suppressor and they said that provide I have the stamp and am following all the other rules I am good to go.

What would be awesome is if we can get this updated to show all states with references, and have it tacked. Oh and maybe get someone with some art skills.
Last edited by bart on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 19 times in total.
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

Bart, great idea! You may want to indicate that hunting hogs (a non game animal, technically considered livestock belonging to landowner on whose land they exist) with NFA is perfectly legal in FL. I don't know about other "non-game" animals though.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
bart

South Dakota

Post by bart »

Like I said there are some exceptions, that can't be drawn in by just a simple color coded system. That is why we need a bibliography with links to actual state run websites that say it is good or not as well as a quick picture. We will want to edit the emails / letters to omit names unless they are public officials with public email accounts. Possibly have the map hyper linked to the regs so that if someone clicked on the state then it would show the exceptions, or actual law. Or another option is to make a thread with only 34 replies, one for each state that is backed up with a hyper link to the reg or a quote for the email, with the officials email address available.

For example

South Dakota http://www.sdgfp.info/Publications/HuntingHandbook.pdf

No mention of silencers in Handbook, but does outlaw MG's and semi's over 6 rounds. An email to the GFP yielded this email reply.
Sent : Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:04 PM
To : <hotmail>
Subject : FW: Hunting with a silencer
*bart*: There are no state prohibitions. You will need to have the federal permit.

-----Original Message-----
>From: *bart* [mailto:**********@hotmail.com]
>Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:32 PM
>To: GFP Wild Info
>Subject: Hunting with a silencer
>
>
>Providing that I have the proper forms for owning the silencer, and
>have a valid hunting license is it legal to hunt with a silenced
>firearm? The hunting hand book does not specifically rule this out, so
>I would assume
>
>that it would be legal, but I would like confirmation of this.
>
>Thank you for your time,
>*bart*
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

JPratt06 wrote:Bart, great idea! You may want to indicate that hunting hogs (a non game animal, technically considered livestock belonging to landowner on whose land they exist) with NFA is perfectly legal in FL. I don't know about other "non-game" animals though.
I'll be taking my next one, and hopefully all of them after that, suppressed.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

put some green lines on colorado....
jurist
Silent But Deadly

Post by jurist »

Good to go on hunting with suppressors in MS. It is not mentioned in the law or the MSDWFP regs.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Yellow lines on MT. Non-game only. :cry: But better than nothing. My Family lives in WI, maybe I'll go shoot a whitetail this year back in the midwest.
2FNSLO

Put some red bars across Ohio....

Post by 2FNSLO »

:(

1501:31-15-02 General hunting and trapping provisions.
(D) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a gun equipped with a silencer or muffler, or deadfall of any type to take or attempt to take a wild bird or wild quadruped. It shall be lawful for any person to hunt or take by falconry or with a crossbow any wild animal permitted to be taken by hunting; however, migratory birds may not be hunted or taken with cross-bows and arrows. Crossbows used in hunting wild animals shall have a working safety and have a stock twenty-five inches or longer. Cocking levers and devices may be used on crossbows.
carry-a-big-stick
Silent But Deadly

Post by carry-a-big-stick »

edit.
If you have a gun addiction, working at a major gun manufacturing plant is a VERY BAD IDEA.
kilroymcb
Silent Operator

Post by kilroymcb »

Kentucky allows hunting of all game animals with a silencer.
AJE
Silent But Deadly

Post by AJE »

How about West Virginia? I go deer hunting there but we usually do some squirell hunting as well.

I can't find anything about it one way or the other (which I guess is a good sign).
Variable556
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Variable556 »

AJE wrote:How about West Virginia? I can't find anything about it one way or the other (which I guess is a good sign).
Ditto... I can't find anything at all. Machine guns are prohibited for hunting use, but there is no mention at all regarding short barreled rifles/shotguns or suppressors in the hunting rule handbook. I can also find no apparent mention in the state code regarding hunting use.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Variable556 wrote:
AJE wrote:How about West Virginia? I can't find anything about it one way or the other (which I guess is a good sign).
Ditto... I can't find anything at all. Machine guns are prohibited for hunting use, but there is no mention at all regarding short barreled rifles/shotguns or suppressors in the hunting rule handbook. I can also find no apparent mention in the state code regarding hunting use.
Have you called the DNR yet??? The DNR in MT is retarded. But eventually I asked enough questions to actually get a warden instead of a fukin secretary. Good luck.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Variable556 wrote:
Have you called the DNR yet??? The DNR in MT is retarded. But eventually I asked enough questions to actually get a warden instead of a fukin secretary. Good luck.
newfalguy101

Post by newfalguy101 »

Legal in Nebraska
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

Someone should sticky this.

It is good
twckxbzd

Post by twckxbzd »

a few years ago a guy on arfcom had a letter from the ohio dnr allowing him to hunt groundhogs with a suppressor.
tomz34
Elite Member

Post by tomz34 »

Legal to hunt with silencer in PA. However must be used on non NFA firearms (no SBR's, etc). Also no semi's are legal to hunt with. Must be bolt action, lever, pump, etc. Have'nt tried it yet, but hope to in near future. :D
Knowledge is Power... Sharing Knowledge is Freedom.
holepoker
Silent Operator

Post by holepoker »

Not leagal in Washington.