waiting on my Quest

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kevlar

I had my Quest in four days.

Post by Kevlar »

I called Craig on the 9th of July to ask about the FRP of the Quest compared to the 67. He told me there was no comparison. He also told me that he had the Quest in stock. I ordered a ceramic coated one from my dealer the next day. I had it that Friday. Since the dealer had an in-house range, they let me shoot it on my 5.5" Ruger Mark II. I've been back three times since while I wait for my paperwork to get back. It's really hard to judge the sound level in the range. The concrete walls and steel backstop baffle echo like crazy. The sound of the bullet striking the backstop baffle is almost impossible to separate from the discharge because of the short distance when I'm shooting. But every time I've shot it, someone alongside me has asked what kind of pellet gun I'm shooting! I was surprised by how much my groups shrank with the Quest. I didn't notice an appreciable shift in POI. I'm looking forward to shooting it outdoors so that I can get a better idea of how it performs. I was sufficiently impressed however, by the quality of build, and the limited experience that I've had with it indoors to order a TAC16. I know that they're not that well regarded here in ST, but for $389.00 I get a hearing safe M4 that will still be more quiet than the sonic crack of M855. Beyond that, the only real disadvantage I see is the lack of a QD mount. :)
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

GaLEO wrote:This advice may not apply if you purchase from a stocking dealer (which I strongly suggest where possible...that way you SEE the can YOU are buying)
However, if the wait time is getting to you, call behind the dealer and MAKE sure he has placed the order. Enough stories abound about dealers not ordering when the customer thought they had to make this a safe practice. Again, depends on your dealer...

A word of caution. Impatience is an undesirable trait when dealing with any NFA/restricted item/dealer/manufacturer. Same is true in the body armor/shields we order for the office, ammo by the ton, and other things.

Unless the dealer has one in stock, you may be waiting a while..no matter what it is...
You give sound advice. I've already decided I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy another suppressor if it is not in stock, available at that moment. When this all started, I assumed, (based on what I was told by the dealer) that it would take about a month for them to get it, then about a month for the application to go through. We've far exceeded that time frame.
As for being patient, i'm rocking along playing the waiting game okay, but i'm peeved about the misinformation and the lack of communication by the dealer. I EXPECT them to call me at significant moments (like when it arrives!) and should not have to give them three weeks to call me, then call and find out it's in their store (for how long??). So,,, I have plenty of patience with the process, just low tolerance for the service.
SE7EN

Post by SE7EN »

Yep.
Only buy suppressors that are in-stock. (unless you don't care about an unpredictable waiting period)

For what it's worth,
I love my Quest. I called TI, back in Feb, they had a couple in stock...I had mine at home about 5 weeks later. After each range session, I dump the baffles in solvent overnight, wipe them clean in the morning. Love that stainless steel...worth every penny. Great shooting full-auto without clogging up a suppressor.

You'll love it.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 444 »

The only patience I need is with the service (or lack there of) from the dealer.
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

Check cashed 08/14/2007
I called ATF last friday and asked them to check status. They asked for my serial number, and asked who I was buying it from. I gave them both, and they said there is no record in the system.
So, how can they cash the check without initiating the process, where it can be tracked within their own system?
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Re: waiting on my Quest

Post by wyflyer »

wyflyer wrote:I ordered a new SS Quest 3 weeks ago from my local dealer. They told me they would get some preliminary info on the Quest from the manufacturer about two weeks from ordering, and would receive the actual device in 4 weeks. So far, no word from manufacturer, and no word on delivery.
They also said the last suppressor they sold had a 14 day turn around from the feds.
I know we all get impatient when we have to wait on something, but this is beginning to feel like building a house: take what you are told and double it and you'll get close to the actual date.
So, I picked up my Quest this evening. I called BATF earlier today for a status check and was surprised to learn that it was approved Sept 5 and the form went out to the dealer on Sept 6. I quoted my first post in this thread as a reminder of how naive I was at the beginning of this marathon odyssey. It's been a loooonngg time since I ordered the Quest last May. All of my original excitement is gone, and i'm wondering why I did this in the first place. I reckon i'll store it and next spring get it out and go play with it. Elk season starts here in two weeks and I don't really have time to do much anyhow.
This would have been much more satisfying if it had worked as described, and had some type of good service from the dealer.
The first dealer I shopped with in Wheatland Wyoming was a turn off... He was happy to take me to the local gun range and demo some of his guns and suppressors, but he explained that he was required to call the sheriff before going to the gun range and again upon leaving. When we drove back to his gun shop, a Sheriff vehicle drove behind me and followed me down the street back to the dealer's shop. Perhaps it was coincidence, perhaps not, but being a prior law enforcement administrator myself, I presumed it was to check my vehicle registration and record my vehicle tag numbers. I decided at that moment that either his local agency was far too restrictive and paranoid, or the dealer himself gave them reason to scrutinize him and his customers. Either way, this is not something I wanted to be a connected with, so I shopped around some more, which led me to this dealer. They've been fairly straight up and easy to deal with, other than the excrutiating wait and failure to call me at significant times during the lengthy transaction.
In retrospect, if this sale had gone as described, I think I would have purchased one or two more cans this past summer. But,, it took 4 1/2 months to purchase 1 can.
anyhow, enough complaining. The Quest looks great, and i'll report back after I shoot it.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

Ordered my aviator approx. 3 weeks ago and was told by the dealer that AAC had sent him the serial number 2 weeks ago. Since then-nothing. I'll give it another 1-2 weeks then call AAC to see if an order was placed. Dealer also said the last one had a 30 day turn around time
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

wyflyer wrote:Check cashed 08/14/2007
I called ATF last friday and asked them to check status. They asked for my serial number, and asked who I was buying it from. I gave them both, and they said there is no record in the system.
So, how can they cash the check without initiating the process, where it can be tracked within their own system?
Unfortunatly this happens often. Dont worry about it.
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

PDNick wrote:Ordered my aviator approx. 3 weeks ago and was told by the dealer that AAC had sent him the serial number 2 weeks ago. Since then-nothing. I'll give it another 1-2 weeks then call AAC to see if an order was placed. Dealer also said the last one had a 30 day turn around time
So, correct me if i'm wrong, but now that your dealer has the serial number, he can get the form to you and you can take it to your chief law enforcement administrator for approval and fingerprints? IE, do everything but submit it to BATF?
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

lawless101aa wrote:
wyflyer wrote:Check cashed 08/14/2007
Unfortunatly this happens often. Dont worry about it.
Lawless, I think you missed the final chapter, and answered an old thread;)
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

So I thought, but he says he won't do anything until he receives the suppressor in case there is any discrepency in the seriial numbers.
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

Well Nick, there's some logic to his explanation, but if AAC and/or the dealer aren't competent enough, (or confident enough) to manage to convey a simple serial number without making a mistake, i'd be scratching my head. I mean, it's a number, not the plans to Fort Knox.. At some point before your dealer receives the product, they have to write that same number down to do the transfer from manufacturer to dealer.
What I DID NOT KNOW when this started, once the can is built and ready to ship to the dealer, they have to do a BATF transfer from manufacturer to dealer. Once approved, the manufacturer ships it to your dealer, then the process beings again with you. I could be wrong, but this is what I was told during my transaction.
In my case, having the serial number supplied to me ahead of time sped my transaction by enabling me to do the legwork while they were building the can.
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

WYflyer is correct. Your dealer should let you go to your cleo with just the number. If he wont let you do it then fill out the forms and do it yourself. The transfer cannot be completed and sent to the BATF until the suppressor is in your possesion. It sounds like your dealer is being lazy. Its not like the signoff registers it or anything. Thats my opinion. Wyflyer how many cull permits did you guys have? A guy I work with just got 60 of them. His neighbor has a C-mas tree farm.
blahblah
Silent But Deadly

Post by blahblah »

wyflyer wrote:Once approved, the manufacturer ships it to your dealer, then the process beings again with you. I could be wrong, but this is what I was told during my transaction.
That's correct.
In my case, having the serial number supplied to me ahead of time sped my transaction by enabling me to do the legwork while they were building the can.
Yeah, you can't send it in, but some LEO's are a bit slow, it'd save time in that way. In addition, if the serial number actually was different when it arrived, you could simply correct your form before it was sent in anyway.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

Good thing i'm not in any great hurry. As long as I get it within a reasonable amount of time. He says he already paid for it and I can get the paperwork done at the PD anytime I want with no delay. I can still go out my back yard and shoot anytime I want.
wyflyer
Silent Operator

Post by wyflyer »

lawless101aa wrote:The transfer cannot be completed and sent to the BATF until the suppressor is in your possesion.
lawless, did you mis-state this? Do you mean, the transfer can't be completed and sent to BATF until it's in the dealer's possession?

As for the culls, we don't have actual culls here, just a liberal amount of permits, depending on the hunt area..
My avitar photo is from an Oklahoma hunt several years ago. they had what is called D-MAP hunts in certain areas to cull numbers. 26 culls in two days, and it's the sweetest persimmon & acorn fed venison on the planet!
lawless
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by lawless »

Yeah that is what I meant sorry. I work at a gunstore so I send my paperwork off when its in my possesion. Sorry for the confusion.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

Spoke too soon. Got a call today. Going tomorrow to start the paperwork.