Typical air gun silencer construction

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Typical air gun silencer construction

Post by Hush »

For those that are interested here are some photo's that show typical silencer construction for an air rifle.

You will notice scouring type pads are cut to baffle shape, this is used to help slow down the on rush of air and are usually placed between baffles, felt also has been used.
Other designs have perforated center tubes wrapped with these pads or felt enclosed in an outer tube.

Plain flat or M type baffles can also be employed the M type being best, it should be noted that unlike a silencer for a .22 rimfire the baffles for an air rifle should not be placed an equal distance apart ( or mutiples , for instance if your first spacer is 1/4 inch do not make the second spacer 1/4 or 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, better something like .3 spacing and the next .7 and the next .4 ) for better disruption of the sudden air flow.
Also unlike a rimfire baffles may be made from sturdy plastics, many different objects have been used for baffle with success, such as coasters for the bottom of chair legs, plumbing parts, rubber or metal washers, etc. you are only limited by your imagination.
You can also obtain good information by visiting English airgun forums which you can find on line.

The usual disclaimer applies in regards that these are silencers and require the $200.00 tax stamp unless pinned and welded to the airgun barrel and cannot be removed and placed on a firearm.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
evert

Post by evert »

i cant see your pictures!
thweinvisiblescarecrow
Silent But Deadly

Post by thweinvisiblescarecrow »

Air rifle silencer design can be either over complicated such as Logun or Daystate or simple like Weirauch.
Simple expansion area & baffle plate designs don't work as well as the designs that slow & hold the air for slow release types.
Another weird thing is what works on one rifle might not work on another.
My friend has a Theoben R7 with Weirauch & AA410 with an AWT, works great, swop the silencers over & they don't work so effectivly.
That got me thinking what is the best one for my two rifles.
Bit like rocket science though as I'm now working my way through 45 different silencers (with more to come when funds allow) on 2 different rifles plus I'm experimenting on modifcations.
No artificial additives.
Except Lead.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

evert wrote:i cant see your pictures!
Sorry m8 I borrowed them from:

/http://www.robertlane.biz/images/SILENCER%20_%20ACU.jpg

And just checked to find he's not making them any more.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
thweinvisiblescarecrow
Silent But Deadly

He allso customised springers.
Not sure if he still does but I know of some Weihrauchs he's done.
No artificial additives.
Except Lead.
thweinvisiblescarecrow
Silent But Deadly

Just found out he's packed up gun work so no more silencers or custom work from the man himself.
Still examples of his work to be found s/h though.
No artificial additives.
Except Lead.