Form 1 design questions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jhninkin

Form 1 design questions

Post by jhninkin »

I'm new to suppressors and this forum just ordered my first one in March...but I got really bored at work and thought I'd design a suppressor for a potential form 1...maybe. Also newish to CAD, teaching myself through pain and youtube. Ignoring the manufacturing difficulty how do you think this would perform on a 5.56. The first 4 baffles would be Ti grade 5 and the rest grade 9. it overhangs barrel about 2". about .5" from barrel to first baffle. The first 4 are really 2 half sets that are off set and .07" thick. those baffles open to the outer tube and then spiral up through those veins until the 4th baffle that has holes about and below a plate. then they spiral the other way and into the 6th baffle and all the gas leave the 7th. all the baffles except those mono core first 4 are grade 5 .065", the walls are too. If I could make any of that thinner it would be nice since this might end up being 18oz. Baffles 3-7 will also be ported on one side. Whole thing is about 8.25". the bottom section is 1.5" to maybe fit under handguard top is 1.75". I did have thought of trying to design it to be direct thread or unscrew and do a asr or keymo but can't find all the dimensions for those, if you have those that would be awesome.

What do y'all think? any comments or recommendations?
Last edited by jhninkin on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhninkin

Re: Form 1 design questions

Post by jhninkin »

I forgot to upload picture. the top cut away is rotated 90 degrees.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

looks like it would be a nightmare to machine at home. My first thought is why not just cones? why all the 'extra' spirals and vanes?
jhninkin

Post by jhninkin »

Yea definitely would. When ever I do get around to doing this form 1 I'd probably at least try and use that loophole that lets you get someone else to make it as long as you are there. I don't really have the skills to machine much of any thing yet. I don't expect this to be much or any cheaper than a a standard suppressor, but hoping I could design something unique that still works well and be way faster than 290 days. The spirals and such would just be to try and lower backpressure.

Really just trying to get people thoughts on the design. I also made a few designs that still have spirals but less and at a slightly steeper angle to still slow down the gasses.
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

Some of the oldest designs are really quiet. Look at some of Maxims patents. Simple can be better. 556 is never going to quiet. All you can hope for is to take some of the snap out of it.