3 form 1's submitted

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

3 form 1's submitted

Post by mr fixit »

Well, just got 3 new form 1's submitted for 22 caliber. Going to do 3 Ruger MK 1 integrals. We'll see how long it takes.

Really really wish I could experiment.

I'm torn between doing a version of Capt. Link's "Straight 8", and a stack of double clipped cones. I like the idea of a monocore to hold the tube on, but I'm afraid it won't suppress as well as cones.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 3 form 1's submitted

Post by Capt. Link. »

mr fixit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:55 pm Well, just got 3 new form 1's submitted for 22 caliber. Going to do 3 Ruger MK 1 integrals. We'll see how long it takes.

Really really wish I could experiment.

I'm torn between doing a version of Capt. Link's "Straight 8", and a stack of double clipped cones. I like the idea of a monocore to hold the tube on, but I'm afraid it won't suppress as well as cones.
The straight eight is unsuited for short barrels but is outstanding for the low velocity gases of a rifle. I have some details that may help your project.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Capt. Link. wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:39 pm
The straight eight is unsuited for short barrels but is outstanding for the low velocity gases of a rifle. I have some details that may help your project.
Love to have the assistance. Out of curiosity what makes it unsuited for the shorter barrels of 22 rimfire?
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

there are a few things I can't get out of my head;
first, I keep reading that 22 rimfire isn't hard to suppress.
second, I see that TBA and others use monocores in their Ruger Mark integral builds and folks seem to like the sounds.

so that makes me wonder how good of a monocore would I really have to make. Really the whole draw for me to a monocore is just to make assembly easier. I really like the TBA Siraco (I think it is) design. The tube slips over the back of the barrel and the monocore holds it in place. A small indexing pin keeps the tube in one orientation so a front sight can be attached to the tube.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Out of curiosity what makes it unsuited for the shorter barrels of 22 rimfire?
The simple baffles work better at lower pressure of a rifle. A tradeoff for ease of construction.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Capt. Link. wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:02 pm
Out of curiosity what makes it unsuited for the shorter barrels of 22 rimfire?
The simple baffles work better at lower pressure of a rifle. A tradeoff for ease of construction.
How would it be affected by porting the barrel near the muzzle into a large area created by the tube extending behind the muzzle to the receiver of the Ruger Mk 1?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

A surprising simple 4 baffle/chamber suppressor that seems not
to be well known is AB Suppressor Little Bird 22 .

Four baffles in a tube that is threaded all the way through
and the baffles shaped like a tap screw in at different depths. Developer
says that by unscrewing it cuts all the gunk out.

A concern about longevity from the number of times one can screw in and out
an aluminum tube.Just 4 chambers. KISS principle.

NFA gave another excellent review:
<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJWY0WVJDQ >>
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

How would it be affected by porting the barrel near the muzzle into a large area created by the tube extending behind the muzzle to the receiver of the Ruger Mk 1?
Porting near the muzzle would be a mistake. Any porting should be near the chamber. Reasons being the pressure is much higher and hotter and that will keep the ports clear and small. A longer barrel with ports for velocity control will burn more gases and allow for lower pressure being presented to the baffle stack.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Well.......
A big thank you to Capt. Link! He sent me a PM with some ideas for a monocore, but it would make the integra barrel too long for what I want.
I wanted a monocore to work because it would make mounting the suppressor tube easier. However making the monocore would require some tooling and fixture which I don't have (straight shaft live center, and I'm using a Turret lathe). The assembly would be easier, the manufature would be harder.

That with all the advice I'm getting about monocores being louder. So.....I give in, no monocore. I have 3 Ruger Mk 1's to build on and 3 Form 1's submitted. I think I will build very much like Yugo RPK builds on his High Standards. That being a threaded collar at the breach end for the tube to thread onto, a center support on the threaded barrel muzzle and a stack of cones. In this case I think I'll build one with a stack of double clipped cones, and one with the same length stack of my version of the coaxial Omega Baffle. I'll see which one sounds better and then build the 3rd gun that way.

As for the Omega Baffles I think a 60* cone, double radius clipped, on top of about a .400 spacer/coaxial area, and about 10-12 of those should be fine. I've contacted SWR to get permission, although I think the patent has expired.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

You may wish to look up the KAC baffles used on the MK-23 spec-op pistol. Its a highly developed K type baffle. The other was the fluted cone developed by Qual a Tec. These were the original ported cone type baffles.The advantage is no spacers are needed and they have been used with good success for the military.I like these as they are a snap to build.The Omega baffle works well though the porting is not well known,maybe someone will chime in on this.
I'm not fond of threading the pressure tube on integral pistol builds as only a very thin tube is needed.Making a mono core using cones is no problem others can be threaded together as well.
The P baffle monocore is one that can be carved out of a piece of stock that has worked well. A variation known as the 69 core was made by one of our members.
ShootnMathews

Post by ShootnMathews »

I submitted two form 1’s on may 30th. No word yet. Hopingvv bc they get approved.