Design pressure for rimfire suppressor?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

daved20319

Design pressure for rimfire suppressor?

Post by daved20319 »

Old member dropping back in again with questions. Been more than a decade since I posted anything, and then I was just shooting air guns. So per my subject line, what sort of design pressure do you need to use if all you intend to run is .22 sub sonics? I'm planning a Form 1 build, but need to get a design on paper first. Already have a core design, but now I'm thinking about the tube. Was planning to use aluminum for the whole thing. The core will be 7075, but all I have in tubing is 6061 in various thicknesses, so I could be talked into steel for the tube, I also have some 4130 on hand. Primary use will be on a bolt action rifle with a 21" barrel, although I may decide to shorten that when I thread it. Will also see some use on my Ruger 22/45, but I'm not one for mag dumps, so not much in the way of high volume fire. Basic dimensions of the can will be 6-7" x 1" diameter. Thanks!

Dave
3strucking
Silent Operator

Re: Design pressure for rimfire suppressor?

Post by 3strucking »

You can use anything you have on hand. Theres not enough pressure involved to worry about doing any calculations. If you were going to be doing mag dumps, I would use some 17-4 but you stated that its going to be mainly on a bolt gun.
daved20319

Post by daved20319 »

Thank you, that was about the conclusion I was coming too, based on other research, but it's always nice to get confirmation from someone that's got some experience. Later.

Dave
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

I did an experiment here (In New Zealand), making a little K baffle can for 22LR where I kept turning down a band on an aluminum can then shooting it, the wall thickness actually got down to about 0.010" before it finally failed so no great pressure going on in there.

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most