Under 1100fps with bulk High Velocity 22LR?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LobstahBoy

Under 1100fps with bulk High Velocity 22LR?

Post by LobstahBoy »

Hi everyone, right to it:

Will a 4.5in barrel on a Ruger Charger stay under 1128fps using bulk Federal or Winchester high-velocity ammo box-rated for 1250fps with a silencer?

If anyone can recommend the correct combination I will order it immediately. Cost isn't an issue, within reason.

Why? I already hoard bulk high-velocity 22LR going back to when Walfart sold Federal 550 boxes for $8.88 in the 90s.

I don't want to deal with other flavors like: Standard velocity, Subsonic, Quiet, Clean, Suppressed, Tactical, Auto, Match, etc.

I don't care about accuracy that much or if it's messy to clean up. I do care about misfeeds, keeping it quiet, and just having fun.

That box-rated 1250fps is obviously under ideal conditions likely with an 18in-20in barrel, right? How short must I go?

Can anyone help me out? I've been searching and youtubing this topic and haven't found a solid answer.

Thanks!
-LB

[imghttps://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/550-fede ... 3831104940[/img]
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Under 1100fps with bulk High Velocity 22LR?

Post by mr fixit »

For what it's worth, I'm planning on building an integral Ruger Mk2 suppressed pistol. I've been told that 3.5-4" barrel will keep most bulk pack sub-sonic. I haven't tested it yet. I'm planning on going with a 3.5" barrel.

You may already know that velocity will change based on temp, humidity, elevation above sea level.
hangman

Post by hangman »

Just to add another bit of experience - my 4.4" bbl 22/45 gives a really nice sonic crack fairly often when shooting "standard" 1125 fps through my SiCo Switchback shooting at 55 degrees... So if you want to keep that from happening, probably need different ammo.

Remember barrel length is more important when there is more powder to burn. I recently read somewhere that 22's reach maximum velocity in under 6"... now, a little research will show that is NOT the case, but the increases in fps do drop dramatically after 6-10".

What has consistently worked - including staying subsonic and feeding properly - are the Aguila Subsonic 22 Long Rifle 40gr SP. Probably have about 1 malfunction every 40-50 rounds, but thats more about fouling and keeping the gun a little "wetter" than power of gas to cycle.

And for mr fixit - to get crazy quiet, I really like the Quiet / Hush stuff, too - but in my Ruger Mk IV Lite it struggles to cycle about 1/3 of the time, haven't even tried it in the 10/22 because of that.

Finally, if you haven't tried shooting your cans wet - I can tell you that all of the hype about the benefits is understated. SHOCKINGLY quieter, and negligibly dirtier.

I use ultrasound gel - bought 5 liter "bag" of it for $30.... and 40-50 rounds of 22 "consume" about 1/2 teaspoon of the stuff. Once I get a REAL sound meter, I'll post some test results.
Semper exaudiō,
HangMan
LobstahBoy

Post by LobstahBoy »

Thanks guys! I will try the 4in and report back.