My last form 1 build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

My last form 1 build

Post by CMV »

So I’m finally there and have what I want. A couple rimfire, 9, 223, 30 cal….. one stamp left and it’s .45 and never got around to it. Quite frankly decided I don’t really even want 45 so I’m going to make it a dedicated can for a 9mm scorpion. However will obviously engrave 45 cal and bore over size (for .355).

So a few questions…….

1. I’m using q plan b and cherry bombs for rifle cal and those work well enough. For pistol cals direct thread is mostly fine. However with my current 9 direct thread on the scorpion it will start to back of and require frequent checks to make sure it’s still snug. So all that to ask would it make sense to just use a wave washer? I know that’s not a good practice in general for silencers but since I have to go so large on bore diameter anyway, any error from a wave washer shouldn’t matter. But I don’t know if that would even make it stay locked up for longer

2. For 9mm subs, typically k construction still best for a hobbyist machinist? 3/8” mouse hole, 3/8” ball end mill scoop? Haven’t built anything in a while or really kept up here to see what better things people are coming up with. Since it’s dedicated and the scorpion is compact enough my plan is to go a little larger. At least 1.5” diameter and probably land around 8” length. Hoping volume will help make up for larger bore

3. Is there a compelling reason for threaded end caps vs welded? Everything I’ve done so far is threaded and I can fully disassemble. I like that and can just dump guts in ultrasonic. But the real reason is I’m a s--t welder. But I have an incredible welder working for me now who can do thin walled material with excellent results. So would there be any benefit to doing that? Bore brush and ultrasonic good enough - or would a dedicated subs can need take apart cleaning at some point?
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(