6/12/2023 Updates

*6/12/2023-- New changes and upgrades. Trying to restore the forum to usefulness. See inside

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

6/12/2023 Updates

Post by mr fixit »

A note to all:
After some discussion with Robert Silvers, he has allowed me to have admin access on this board. I asked for that so that the wealth of information here is not lost. Robert has cleaned a lot of the spam, and I have been continuing to clear it out and delete users posting it. Starting now, all new registrations will require admin approval. I don't like that but it should help keep new registrations from bot and spam accounts from posting and cluttering up the board.

I really hope that folks both old and new come back and start using the board again.

Don't forget if you find spam posts please report them.
Also please make suggestions on what this board needs or what changes need to be made. It may be a slow process but I hope it will be worth it for us all.

Scott Clearman
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 6/12/2023 Updates

Post by tReznr »

Wow!

I assumed the board was totally dead. Glad to see you’re trying to nurse it back to health.
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Thanks.
The terms "pushing chain uphill" and "herding cats" have new meanings for me. :mrgreen:
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

UPDATE:
Due to some issues on the back end, I have reset the sign up to email verification. New members will be able to post immediately without waiting for moderator approval.
The issue is that so far there is not a good way (that I can find) to tell who is and who isn't a real person. The work continues
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Thank you for the help. Not sure what is better for spammers. Life in prison or death penalty.
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Glad to keep the site going. Lots of info here
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Random visit back at once favorite site and what do one's
happy eyes see ... a paladin has ridden out of the west
named Mr. FIxit and like Hercules of past has cleaned out the spam infested
"Augean Stables ".

Thank you sir! Compliments ineffable.

So much corporate knowledge that must not be lost!

As for spammers as was said so very long ago in Southie:
"You need to meet Mr. Ballpeen and Blow Torch" :). :) :)

Dante has just added a lower level of hell for them.

Best!
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tReznr »

Heads up: the search bar at the top right of the forum is broken (at least for me). When I attempt to put in a search term and click the submit button, it takes me to a page with a bunch of error messages.
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

tReznr wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:16 am Heads up: the search bar at the top right of the forum is broken (at least for me). When I attempt to put in a search term and click the submit button, it takes me to a page with a bunch of error messages.
If you scroll down past the error messages the search results are there. Took me a long while to figure that out.
Yes. the board needs an update. I have communicated with Robert and he agrees and I believe will be doing that.
Vidarr

Post by Vidarr »

Mr. Fix it,
Thank you so much for your work on reviving this site! I'm glad there was someone like yourself with the ability, time and dedication to work on this. It would have been sad to see all the years of collective knowledge and wisdom on this site disappear due to some bad actors.
I hope people will return to the site.
Thank you again for your efforts!
Ray
“When truth and fairness are different from what is law, better it is
to follow truth and fairness.” – Bandamanna Saga
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I updated Linux to the latest.
I updated PHPBB to the latest.
I updated spam coutermeasures to Google ReCaptchaV3.

I will work on a new skin.
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tReznr »

Is there a way to get a "report" button added to highlight obvious spam posts to moderators / target them for removal?

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

tReznr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:47 am Is there a way to get a "report" button added to highlight obvious spam posts to moderators / target them for removal?
The exclamation point icon in the upper right corner of the post is the report icon.