22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

JSTactical

Re: 22 freeze/expansion plug suppressor

Post by JSTactical »

We have been getting awesome feedback on our C Cell size for the 22s. Anyone else try out our tools to form their plugs?
The Original Form 1 Complete tool set - www.JSTACTICAL.com
www.Facebook.com/lJSTactical.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5elo8qkmVE
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

I cannot believe it has been seven years! You, Sir, win the Internet in my book!
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

check out the comments under the video
https://youtu.be/mY2A_HTV6ZU
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
T_McD

Post by T_McD »

tagged for reference
hering

Post by hering »

sub-sonic wrote:
Sweetfish89 wrote:I have read all 9 pages and have learned a lot from what sub-sonic has written. I cannot wait to start working on mine when my paper work is all done.

sub-sonic - I might have missed this but how did you connect your can to your sks? I also have a sks I would like a can for. Did you get a pipe collar and pipe that fits it for the same 2 point attachment like you did on the AR?
I made a different mount for the sks I did not show it on here
the barrel on the sks is threaded 9/16-24 and I used a flash hider for the L1A1 rifle as the mount
I use that silencer on my L1A1 more than on the sks
the problem with the sks is the front sight is in the way
Hi sub-sonic. I was hoping you might be able to elaborate on how you attached your suppressor to the flash hider on your 30cal can. I enjoy your simple but functional approach. Thanks for all the info in his thread.
hering

Post by hering »

Hi Sub-sonic

I am about to do a home build for use on a ruger bolt action in 300 blackout, subsonic ammo only. I have some 2" SS tube and have found the correct size freeze plugs for it. I was intending to follow the build you did for the 308 suppressor but then I thought the 300 blackout is only a 5.56 case necked up to 308 so maybe I could save some weight and bulk by using 1 1/2 "tube. Maximum sound reduction is my goal so extra weight and size is secondary. In this case do you think an 1 1/2" build would be as effective for sound reduction as a 2"one.

Thanks
Hering
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

hering wrote:Hi Sub-sonic

I am about to do a home build for use on a ruger bolt action in 300 blackout, subsonic ammo only. I have some 2" SS tube and have found the correct size freeze plugs for it. I was intending to follow the build you did for the 308 suppressor but then I thought the 300 blackout is only a 5.56 case necked up to 308 so maybe I could save some weight and bulk by using 1 1/2 "tube. Maximum sound reduction is my goal so extra weight and size is secondary. In this case do you think an 1 1/2" build would be as effective for sound reduction as a 2"one.

Thanks
Hering
man this thread started 8 years ago. you need to do your own research on what you want to build. there are plenty of examples out there to look at and see what is what viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
I am unable to comment on how effective it would be until its actually finished. but for just BLK I would not go 2".
realistically 2" is big in anyones books but its quiet and it works.
synfire wrote:Great Thread sub-sonic! Some of your pictures are missing through out your posts, can you re-up them please :)
sorry they have been sacrificed to the gods of time
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
hering

Post by hering »

Yes I know the thread is 8 years old, that's part of the reason I sought your advice, due to your experience.
I have done my own research, just wanted your opinion, which you have provided so thank you.
Thanks for the link also.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

Just an update. Its been 10 years and this 5.56 can is still just as good as the day it was made. Just ran 1000 rounds through it Saturday. A mix of M855/SS109 and IMI 69 grain ammo. Only had 2 mags so it was shoot and reload. was an all day event and this can was used at different periods of the day. I also ran 400 rounds of 300fireball 215 grain subsonics through the 30cal can from a 10" barrel AR pistol and its still as good as the day I made it. A fresh coat of paint on both of them and they will look new again
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

Congratulations and well done. I think you deserve a serious vote of internet thanks for the work you did all those years ago, the longevity of this thread and the impact your design has had on some home projects.
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

Been a while since I was last on here. The old 5.56 can is getting some age on it. Has not been getting used as much as it did in the past. Ammo prices are to blame for that. Been having some rusting issues with it. It had been left in the safe for Covid time and when I got it out it had a nice coating of rust on the internals. I did clean it and use it but now every time I get it out it’s got rust.I used a bunch of steel case ammo and I guess it was corrosive. Lost count of how many rounds I have used it for but it’s a big number and it’s still doing good.