Concealed Carry OF NFA Item

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MrPhotoGuyInc
Silent But Deadly

Concealed Carry OF NFA Item

Post by MrPhotoGuyInc »

Im sure this one has come up before. I was unable to find it.

I'm in Texas and wanted to know, Can you carry with you an NFA weapon concealed with a Texas C.H.L permit.???

Thanks in advance !

MrPhotoGuy
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I can't speak for texas, but Oklahoma's carry law does not address NFA. I can't see it looking good though if you offed someone with a MAC or a suppressed pistol. Even in legitimate self defense. That said, I do use NFA for home defense.
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

Yeah, check your state laws. In Virginia, our law says you can only carry a firearm, other than a machine gun (shucks!) designed to be held and fired in only one hand. So I can't carry my Serbu Super Shorty :(

But that's just as well, because if -- God forbid -- I'm ever forced to use deadly force, I don't want a grand jury looking at a Super Shorty or a mini Uzi or an M203. Ideally, I'd want them to see a gun that looks like something grandpa might have owned..
corey
Senior Silent Operator

Post by corey »

Depends on the individual state laws. West Virginia says you can only carry a handgun while Arizona says you can carry any weapon (not just firearm) that you legally own.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

No.
skwerl
Silent Operator

C'mon Renegade

Post by skwerl »

You gave us a definitive NO.

Can you give us some more info?
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Re: C'mon Renegade

Post by bp_968 »

skwerl wrote:You gave us a definitive NO.

Depends on the state. Here in KY its a concealed deadly weapons license. You can carry just about anything you want including suppressed weapons and machine guns. Honestly though I can't imagine wanting to lug it all around. Pistol is just fine.

I do remember a case where a gunstore owner (the store was on the same property as his home) engaged some thieves knocking down his store and when they fired on him he returned fire with a full magazine from a subgun of some kind. Bet that changed their attitudes real quick.

He didn't get in trouble for it.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
scheistermeister

Post by scheistermeister »

I asked about it in Ohio and it would have to be a pistol for one, no SBS or SBR, but you COULD do it. But then brought up the fact that if you did and had to use it you would be eaten alive in court.
Zipakna

RE

Post by Zipakna »

actually in virginia it is a "five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun"

and

18.2-308 M
"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.

thats "Machine Gun" it makes no mention of Suppressor or Silencer.
theres nothing that says anything about a silencer except. as i read it, if you can fire it in one hand. you can cary it.

18.2-308.6. Possession of unregistered firearm mufflers or silencers prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm muffler or firearm silencer which is not registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.
Cortland

Post by Cortland »

The point is the "one hand" rule in Virginia prevents you from carrying rifles, shotguns, or AOWs. The federal definition of a handgun includes the "one hand" rule, so the Virginia's CHP restricts you to those firearms which would be called handguns under federal law. But again, I think the foremost issue in this is what type of firearm do you want a Commonwealth's Attorney, grand jury, etc. looking at when deciding whether or not they want to lock you away in a prison cell? If you carry an AR-15 pistol or an Uzi pistol or something else very strange, you will create big problems for yourself should you ever be forced to use it in self defense.

As you know, a silencer is considered a firearm under federal law. Although most Virginia laws which reference firearms also include silencers in the definition of firearm, the CCW law does not, so concealing a silencer should not be an issue -- the prosecutor/grand jury issue notwithstanding.
Cooler

Post by Cooler »

I'm in Nebraska and I carry a MP5K (some times). I often transport large sums of cash or other machine guns. (If you are planning on knocking over the machine gun guy you are most likely loaded for bear so to speak) Plus I am 6'3 340lbs I can hide it well.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

You don't say what kind of NFA weapon you are talking about. My next question is "why" would anyone want to carry this type of weapon. I've been carrying a weapon for the last 30 years and sometimes it's a PIA just to conceal a small pistol (NOT small caliber) Why would you want an extra 6 inches on the end of one (suppressor) or several pounds (MAC"S, UZI pistol, etc) Most NFA weapons that I know of are not the most concealable or comfortable to carry. To top all that off, you would get crucified in court and in public for using one for no other reason than some stupid idea that it looks cool. One last thing, YOU are responsible for every projectile that comes out of the end of that barrel. God forbid you would do a spray and pray or use an SB shotgun and hit some innocent person with stray rounds. Ask yourself this, would it be worth losing everything you have to defend yourself in court over some stupid idea that it would be neat to carry around an NFA weapon concealed for no other reason than "because I can"?
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

PDNick wrote:You don't say what kind of NFA weapon you are talking about. My next question is "why" would anyone want to carry this type of weapon. I've been carrying a weapon for the last 30 years and sometimes it's a PIA just to conceal a small pistol (NOT small caliber) Why would you want an extra 6 inches on the end of one (suppressor) or several pounds (MAC"S, UZI pistol, etc) Most NFA weapons that I know of are not the most concealable or comfortable to carry. To top all that off, you would get crucified in court and in public for using one for no other reason than some stupid idea that it looks cool. One last thing, YOU are responsible for every projectile that comes out of the end of that barrel. God forbid you would do a spray and pray or use an SB shotgun and hit some innocent person with stray rounds. Ask yourself this, would it be worth losing everything you have to defend yourself in court over some stupid idea that it would be neat to carry around an NFA weapon concealed for no other reason than "because I can"?
Carrying a handgun with a can in a building or car, will help save your hearing if it comes to you having to use your handgun in self defense.

Like a 7-11 robbery, or a carjacking.

I could think of a few ways to make a concealable holster if I had time for it. It might not be comfortable, but it is possible :lol:
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

I've always said that one would need to use the gun as a ram and break the window if firing in a car. I would hesitate to fire with the windows up unless death is staring at me. If you pull you weapon you have the intent to use it so I guess that decides it. :cry:

Too bad we're not all cops. We could do whatever we desired and be above suspicion.
PDNick

Post by PDNick »

OK, you want to save your hearing over one or two shots? How about the ability to draw and fire quickly to save your life. Try it with and without a can while sitting in a car and see how much longer it takes or how much more room you need to move. Then try it with a closed window on the drivers side and see how much more movement it takes to get a sight pic. Now try it with someone sneaking up on you and see how fast you can draw and get on sight. Also, why give a bad guy and extra 5 or 6 inches to grab onto so he can take your pistol away from you or keep you from getting a good shot off. My hearing is the last thing I would worry about. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of using a weapon quickly and saving my life or someone elses. See how a steering wheel gets in the way of a longer barrel as opposed to a standard pistol. I doubt if a couple of shots are going to permanently damage your hearing and what about the bad guy-I doubt if he feels the same way and he will probably be more prone to firing off a volley of shots as opposed to your few. Use some common sense instead of a "cool" factor, you'll be better off and probably still alive. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, it's a personal decision but in my opinion, it's not the wisest nor is it even close to the best
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

Who said it is holstered?

Doesn't everybody drive around at night, through rough parts of town, with their Ruger MKIII and AAC Pilot in their lap? :wink:

I guess looking around is the best defense. That and the gas peddle.
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

nauss wrote:Doesn't everybody drive around at night, through rough parts of town, with their Ruger MKIII and AAC Pilot in their lap? :wink:
Nauss. Driving around with a pistol on your lap is just an irresponsible thing to suggest. How do you expect to grab it correctly in a hurry? You should always have it in your hand, finger taking up first pressure. :lol: :lol:

(Now that reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where they have a ND in the car)
"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items
NickB
Elite Industry Professional

Post by NickB »

On a related note, I spoke to Lou Alessi recently about making a shoulder holster for a suppressed handgun. He suggested we design a holster that hangs barrel-down, but swivels 90 degrees so the weapon can be drawn out/forward instead of up past your face. Doesn't seem ideal, but if you're intent on carrying a suppressed weapon, it's not a horrible option to have.
--Nick
VP of Business Development for SilencerCo
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I 'believe' it is legal to CC NFA items where I am, but I'd want something in writing from the State Attorney General before doing so. I actually would never do so because I don't want to be tased and beaten within an inch of my life by an ignorant police officer who won't bother to investigate what the law really is.
rwilke
Silent But Deadly

Post by rwilke »

renegade wrote:No.
Isn't an SBR an NFA item?

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.ht ... 8&t=232674
vulgus vult decipi
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

nauss wrote:Who said it is holstered?

Doesn't everybody drive around at night, through rough parts of town, with their Ruger MKIII and AAC Pilot in their lap? :wink:
Man, I have been tempted to do this several times. There are some very shady areas a few miles from my house, and being there at night makes me want to open carry with the snap undone, if you know what I mean.
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

just get a remote mounted .50 on the roof....... :lol: No more worries.
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

pmercer wrote:
nauss wrote:Doesn't everybody drive around at night, through rough parts of town, with their Ruger MKIII and AAC Pilot in their lap? :wink:
Nauss. Driving around with a pistol on your lap is just an irresponsible thing to suggest. How do you expect to grab it correctly in a hurry? You should always have it in your hand, finger taking up first pressure. :lol: :lol:

(Now that reminds me of the scene in Pulp Fiction where they have a ND in the car)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ge-mini-gun

Re: C'mon Renegade

Post by Ge-mini-gun »

bp_968 wrote:
skwerl wrote:You gave us a definitive NO.

...I do remember a case where a gunstore owner (the store was on the same property as his home) engaged some thieves knocking down his store and when they fired on him he returned fire with a full magazine from a subgun of some kind. Bet that changed their attitudes real quick.

He didn't get in trouble for it.
Sorry that these are so long, worth the read. Fadden was 3 to 1 odds - Bechwith 7 to 1.

Neither of these are mine found then on the net.

Gary Fadden Incident:

It is 1984, long before the universal coming of cell phones, and there is no other communications in the vehicle. They are entering Middleburg, a town of perhaps 800, and stop at a red light. Behind them, Gary can see both males exit their truck and run toward him. The driver's hand is actually on Gary's door handle when he pops the clutch and sends his new truck screeching through the intersection against the light. The two men run back to their older pickup, and the chase is on.

They're almost on his bumper. Gary accelerates, hitting open road now, zig-zagging between reaching 95 miles an hour when the speed governor cuts in. Not only are the pursuers keeping pace but he sees the driver aiming a revolver at him out his window. Honking his horn and flashing his lights when he runs into a cluster of automobiles, passing them sometimes on the shoulder of the road and spraying rooster-tails of gravel, Gary still cannot elude the truck behind him.

Gary is desperately looking for a police car he can flag down. He doesn't see one. The chase has gone for 22 miles now and they're getting into a more compact area again. Coming up is an intersection tic knows well: he goes through it every day on his way to work. Even on Sunday it will be clogged. He forms a plan quickly: if the light is in his favor, he'll go through it and keep going, hoping to find police in a more populated area. If the light is against him, he'll turn right, and make for the plant where he works on Chantilly Road.

The light stays red. Gary cuts hard right, heading for what he hopes will be the sanctuary of the workplace. Behind him, he can see that the pursuers haven't given up an inch. "I've got my pass card through the gates and the front door," he tells his fiancee urgently. "We'll get into the building and we can hide. They can't find us. We'll call the cops from there."

He pulls into the front area of the plant, the automatic mechanism taking an achingly long time to raise the gate. As the gate opens, the pursuing truck comes to a stop behind his, both men jumping out and running to Gary's Ford, their hands clawing at his door handles. He guns the engine and gels away from them, sweeping up to the front door and locking up the brakes in a skid.

The plant is Heckler and Koch.

Gary Fadden is a salesman for HK, and among the rest of their firearms, he sells machine guns. In the truck with him is a competitor's weapon he has acquired to test, a Ruger AC556, the selective-fire assault version of the .223 Mini-14. He grabs it now as he throws open the truck door, hoping to hold them off at gunpoint. lie knows his fiancee can't make it to the building's door now, and he screams to her to get down on the floor of the Ford.

The Shooting

The passenger is running toward him, an average size man in ratty clothes with stringy hair, a long beard, and an expression of absolute rage.

The selector switch and manual safety of the AC556 are in two different locations. Gary has not yet fired this weapon and, though he has taken off the safety, he doesn't know whether the switch is set for semi, three-shot burst, or full auto. He yells "Stop or I'll shoot," points the muzzle upward, and pulls the trigger for a warning shot.

The weapon is set on full automatic. Everything is going into deep slow motion, and Gary is aware that the Ruger spits a burst of nine shots before he can get his finger back off the trigger.

There is no effect whatsoever. The attacker is still running at him, perhaps ten yards away and closing fast, reaching for knives at his belt with each hand. The assailant screams, "F*** you and your high powered rifle! I'm gonna kill you motherf***ers!"

And Gary Fadden has run out of time. He lowers the Ruger, points it at the charging knifer, and pulls the trigger one more time. in the ethereal slow motion of profound tachypsychia, Gary can see the spent .223 shells arcing lazily out of the mechanism. He stops the burst, aware that six shots have been fired, as the man in front of him falls heavily to the ground.

Gary moves quickly, putting a big brick planter between himself and the onrushing pickup as cover. The truck stops and the driver, the larger of the two bearded men, shrieks. "F*** you! You killed one of the brothers! You shot him, you motherf***er!" Gary's weapon is level and ready, but this time instead of waving the revolver, the man looks as if he's trying to hide it in the cab of his truck. Gary can see now that the third person in the truck, the one who has always stayed in the cab, is a woman.

And then, the police are there. "They've got guns," Gary shouts to the officers disgorging from two patrol cars. He sets his rifle down and steps back as the officers swarm the pickup truck, taking the surviving man and woman into custody. In a moment, a cop is standing with Gary. "I did it," Gary says. The cop answers, "Did what?" "I shot that man." The officer picks up the AC556. "It's loaded," Gary warns, "Do you want me to unload it'?" The policeman answers. "No, I'll do it. Why don't you sit down?"

Harry Beckwith Incident:

Harry Beckwith's Guns in Alachua County, Florida, is probably my favorite gunshop. It isn't just that smell of gun oil, cigar smoke, and old, worn leather that reminds me of the gun shops of my youth. It isn't just the fabulous Luger collection that resides there, nor the excellent buys, especially on collectibles. Harry's place has a karmic touch of the armed citizen about it that you don't find in the atmosphere of your average firearms emporium.
The revolver always visible at Harry's belt is nothing new for the gunshop habitude. Sometimes he wears a modest Charter Arms .44 Bulldog, and sometimes a Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 Special with the fabulous Tiffany silver grips that you normally only see in the coffee table gun books.
No, what's different about Harry's is that as soon as you step out of your car in the spacious parking lot, you notice the bullet holes in the concrete outer walls of the building. Inside you see more holes in the walls.
There's a photo of a rifle champion next to his bullseye target and there's a hole in the bullseye - a REAL hole, which also pierces glass and backing.
"I like to tell folks that I put that one there intentionally," says Harry with a puckish grin. At 68, Harry admits that his recollection is a bit cloudy, but he figures that in his 35 years in the retail gun business he has experienced right at 35 robberies and burglaries. He proudly notes that in all those rip-offs and heist attempts, only two firearms were not recovered.
He also remembers the only three times when the thieves were unfortunate enough to face him. Each time, it evolved into a gun battle. Each time, he shot them and they didn't get to shoot him.
The first was a pure pistol fight. Harry drew and shot the robber, who lost all interest in carrying on the fight. This saved his life; when the wounded gunman surrendered, Harry Beckwith, a moral man, didn't shoot him again.
In the second shootout, the gun dealer interrupted a felon about to drive off with guns he'd heisted from the store. Though not a Class III weapons dealer, Beckwith was federally licensed to possess such arms for his own use. When the thug raised a .45 auto pistol at Harry, Beckwith trumped his ace with a burst of full automatic fire from a Smith & Wesson Model 76 9mm submachine gun. Struck in the forehead, the gunman dropped his pistol and screamed, "I'm hit!"
"Get out of the car," Beckwith roared back. The man did, and realizing he was still alive despite a gunshot wound in the forehead, he ran. Once more, Beckwith held fire.
The man was captured later and treated for an ugly but minor head injury from a flattened- out 9mm hollowpoint round that had lost most of it's energy piercing the safety glass of the windshield.
That incident took place in 1976, the Bicentennial of our nation's independence. A Class III weapons owner had delivered a splendidly appropriate demonstration of the independence our nation was celebrating. In the "the spirit of "76," he stopped a violent criminal with a Model 76.
But neither of these had prepared Harry Beckwith, then 63, old enough to collect Social Security and qualify as a Senior Citizen, for the incident that left his place of business bearing the distinctive scars you can see there to this day.
The night of November 12, 1990, promised to be a quiet one. The regular bowling pin shoot had finished up less than an hour ago. The gunshop was securely locked up, and so was the separate indoor shooting range building located behind it.
Harry Beckwith was at home with his wife in their beautiful hacienda, separated from the business structures by about 100 yards of beach sand and trees. A picturesque setting that would make the quintessential Florida postcard.
Harry was relaxed and watching TV. It was 9:50 p.m. Suddenly, two discordant sounds pierced the night. One was the distinctive crash of a heavy vehicle being driven through the steel-reinforced glass door in the concrete entryway of the gunshop. The other was the yelping of the burglar alarm.
Beck with moved instantly. He knew his rural location was remote; even though the police would be rolling immediately, he wasn't sure they could get there in time.
He moved smoothly and certainly, with the economy of motion that comes with age and with planning. He knew his wife would get on the phone and put a gun in her own hand, in a safe place. That left his mind free to cope with the problem of dealing with the marauders.
He reached for the weapons he had laid out for just such a contingency.
First was a Charter Arms Bulldog revolver in an old Bucheimer crossdraw paddle holster. It slipped easily into place in front of his left hip. It was loaded with five rounds of his favorite .44 Special ammunition, Winchester Silvertip hollowpoint.
Next came the Model 76 submachine gun. One magazine was in place, the bolt properly closed, "condition three." More magazines were rubber-banded to the extended stock. Beckwith had found this to be a faster way to access them than to attach a pouch in the same place. He slung the licensed submachine gun over his right shoulder.
He picked up an AR-15, a gun he has always described as a "Colt Sporting Rifle." It contained one magazine downloaded to only 15 rounds. Another such magazine was banded to its plastic stock as well.
With the other hand, he scooped up a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge semiautomatic shotgun, already fully loaded.
Figuring he was ready for anything, Harry Beckwith quietly stepped out into the shadows, moving away from the house in the direction of the shop, some 100 paces distant.
He could see that two vehicles were there, both '88 Oldsmobiles, one blue and one white. Numerous adult male figures were scurrying in and out of the shop, bearing armloads of guns to the cars through the door they'd crashed. He couldn't make out color or age, only that they were grown men, and that they were maybe seven of them.
At a point between the shop and the house, he carefully laid the shotgun down out of sight. It would be a fallback weapon if he had to retreat in that direction. He took the AR-15 in both hands, ready, and moved forward again.
But there was a full moon out, and the same moonlight that had allowed him to observe the criminals allowed them to see him. Beckwith knew then he'd been "made".
"I should've been more in the shadows," Beckwith would tell me years later. "He gunned the car straight at me. I'm too old to run. I fired off my shoulder at him and the vehicle."
When the butt of the rifle hit the shoulder pocket, Beckwith opened fire, manipulating the trigger as fast as he could. Suddenly, the AR was not responding; he had run dry.
The vehicle was still coming at him, rapidly closing the 50 yards distance.
A skilled man can reload an AR-15 almost as quickly as a Colt .45 auto, and Harry Beckwith is skilled at arms. As his right index finger punched the mag release, his left hand broke the spare magazine free of the rubber band and slammed it home with a practiced motion, his left thumb almost simultaneously pressing the bolt drop paddle on the left side of the frame.
He resumed fire, as fast as he could work the gun.
The high-pitched crack of the AR-15 could not drown out the dull chong sound of the .223 ball rounds punching through the auto body, nor the distinctive sound of heavy glass breaking. The vehicle swerved off course, and Harry ran dry again.
As he dropped the now useless rifle, the blue Oldsmobile veered away from him, cutting to its left. It threw a giant rooster-tail of dust as the driver accelerated away from the old man he had tried seconds before to crush to death. Beckwith saw the car disappear onto Route 441.
Beckwith turned his attention back toward the shop. Five more of the burglars were there, most holding guns, pistols and longer weapons.
Silhouetted in the moonlight, too old to run, still facing five-to-one odds against men with all kinds of guns capable of easily killing him from 50 yards away and who could easily have loaded up with some of the thousands of rounds they'd had access to for some time now, Beckwith knew he was still in deadly danger.
He swung up the Smith & Wesson submachine gun, racked the open bolt back and cut loose on full automatic.
"I fired high, over their heads, to keep them down," he would explain later. "I used short bursts."
He saw them duck. He knew it had bought him a moment. But his near-death experience with the blue Oldsmobile bearing down on him was fresh in his mind. If they crawled up the covered side of the car, they could do the same with the white Olds.
And if two magazines of .223 hadn't disabled the other identical vehicle, what could he hope to do with 9mm fire? He realized that the time to disable the felons' second car was now.
He swept it from one end to the other, reloaded, and continued. Every window in the Oldsmobile disintegrated as the copper jacketed bullets tore through. Beckwith had stagger- loaded the magazines with hardball and Remington 115 gr. jacketed hollowpoints. The tires deflated with an audible hiss.
Beckwith saw the surviving perps moving away from the vehicle. Now the big danger was being shot instead of being run down. A second empty S&W magazine hit the ground, and Beckwith opened another burst of diversionary fire with a third stick.
The perpetrators had enough. He saw them run around the corner of the building. He took a cover position and waited.
The first police car pulled into the scene approximately one minute later. To Beckwith, it seemed as if he waited an hour.
However, reconstruction of the incident would show that it had been only three minutes from when the alarm sounded to when the first responding Alachua County deputy made it into the gunshop. The incident itself had lasted less than two minutes.
During that time, Harry Beckwith had fired 105 shots.
By 2 a.m. all surviving perpetrators had been arrested and were in custody. Six were at the jail and one at morgue. Roger Patterson, age 18, was found dead in the wreck of the shot up Oldsmobile. He'd gotten across the line into Marion County with one tire shot away, driving 13 miles before he lost control and crashed. Cause of death was a .223 rifle wound through the chest.
The second man in the blue car was captured near the scene.
Both cars had been hot-wired and stolen. Some 20 stolen firearms were found in each car. The white Olds had been so badly shot up it had to be towed from the scene.
Patterson was the only one hit. This was because he was the only one Beckwith fired at. Most of his shots had been directed at keeping the other men's heads down and dissuading them, and at disabling their second vehicle, goals he achieved with spectacular success.
Beckwith told me later, "I could have killed all five of them, at the end, when they were running away and exposed to me. But I was no longer in danger from them, so chose not to shoot them."
Beckwith had high praise for the professionalism of the Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies in general, and particularly for those who responded that night - with one possible exception.
There is still anger in his voice when he relates, "One of them wanted to read me my rights!" However, the anger fades when he continues, " And then a sergeant said to the guy, "He's the victim, for Christ's sake!''
He is still bitter about having to speak before the grand jury. Most Florida jurisdictions bring justifiable homicides before a grand jury as a matter of course, but being in there alone without legal counsel still has a "star chamber" feel to it that leaves you with no warm fuzziness about the experience at all.
As any high school civics student knows, the function of a grand jury is to determine if you've committed a crime. That's a bitter pill to swallow when someone just ripped you off and tried to run you down like a possum in the road. Harry Beckwith still bitterly refers to his cross-examination before the grand jury as an "inquisition."
However, the system generally works, and Shakespeare was right when he said, "The truth will out." The grand jury returned a verdict of no true bill, in effect, designating the incident a justifiable use of lethal force.
What leaves Harry Beckwith most unhappy today is that these perpetrators, initially charged with felony murder, were allowed to plead down to attempted burglary. They turned out to range in age from 16 to 21.
Harry Beckwith fired two magazines of 15 rounds each from the Colt .223 rifle, and two full mags and part of a third from the S & W submachine gun. Only one bullet caused death.
The great majority of his gunfire fell into the "warning shot" category - suppressive fire if you will. We can argue at length about the concept of the warning shot, but the fact remains that in this case, it fulfilled its intended purpose.
It was not lost on the grand jury that exculpated Harry Beckwith that he could have killed all seven perpetrators, and chose not to. It was likewise to his benefit that twice before in his life, he had shown mercy and not killed men he'd shot when they gave up the fight after he wounded them.
Every case I've seen of a shooting with a lawfully owned Class III weapon has gone to a Grand Jury. Some of those grand juries have indicted.
However, every time it was provably self-defense, the subsequent Petit jury has also acquitted the shooter. Still, such trials are extremely expensive for the defendant.
(Interestingly, Florida is one of only two states, the other being Washington state, where an accused citizen found "not guilty" at trial can be reimbursed legal fees and costs by the local government.)
A good general rule for avoiding trial in a justifiable shooting would be, "Semi-auto yes, full-auto no."
In the November, 1990, incident, Beckwith fired more rounds than any armed citizen has probably fired in legitimate self-defense since the Indian Wars. I'm glad he got out of it ok.
Beckwith's domination and unscathed survival of this incident is owed in large part to the fact that he was allowed to lawfully possess high cartridge capacity, rapid-fire weapons for self-defense, the sort of "assault weapons" our current Administration would forbid other Americans to possess.
When Ted Gogol of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America was putting together a group of citizens who had used such firearms to protect their own lives and those of other innocent people, I put him in touch with Harry Beckwith, who would have gone to testify before Congress but for the fact that his wife was ill and he couldn't leave her.
But Harry Beckwith didn't need to testify in Congress to show that he's the kind of tough American who can stand up for his rights, temper justice with mercy, and take care of himself, even against seven-to-one odds if someone is trying to kill him.
As long as he is allowed to own and use the kind of weapons that give him parity against the sort of brutal criminal that runs in packs, and tries to run down and kill senior citizens who would dare to interfere with their lawless depredations.
The Ayoob Files
American Handgunner
September/October 1995
crotalus01
Silent But Deadly

Post by crotalus01 »

Cortland wrote:Yeah, check your state laws. In Virginia, our law says you can only carry a firearm, other than a machine gun (shucks!) designed to be held and fired in only one hand. So I can't carry my Serbu Super Shorty :(

But that's just as well, because if -- God forbid -- I'm ever forced to use deadly force, I don't want a grand jury looking at a Super Shorty or a mini Uzi or an M203. Ideally, I'd want them to see a gun that looks like something grandpa might have owned..
I get the concern but I was told that the Sebu was designed to be fired with one hand. Under TN law it is considered a smooth bore pistol. State laws varry but in TN it is perfectly legal to CC a Sebu (or a MG for that matter).
Remember kids, SALAD is NOT food...salad is what food EATS.