What do you carry? & pic thread

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My problem is every time I decide to get Night sights, I spend the money -- and then later switch to another carry pistol.
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

My problem is every time I decide to get Night sights, I spend the money -- and then later switch to another carry pistol.
FINALLY a benefit to being too poor to have more than a couple of pistols. :D

I figure between a nice 1911 and the P7, I have the entire spectrum of auto pistols covered, from traditional, simple and sturdy to compact, modern and high-speed. 8)

This is my 1911, which is a WWII frame upgraded with all the standard go-fast bits, XS 24/7 sights and a series 70 slide and new barrel.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If I could just have one pistol, it would be a G19 or G17. They really are perfection like Glock says.
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

I'm going to agree with Mr. Silvers... I'd go with a Glock if I could only have one gun. It would be a tough call between the G17 or the G21 although I'd lean towards the 17 only because of that caliber being more common world wide. If you're unsure of the toughness of a Glock pistol, check this thread out:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 658&page=1
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Wraith wrote:I'm going to agree with Mr. Silvers... I'd go with a Glock if I could only have one gun. It would be a tough call between the G17 or the G21 although I'd lean towards the 17 only because of that caliber being more common world wide. If you're unsure of the toughness of a Glock pistol, check this thread out:

I agree though I would go with a G19 unless you have huge hands. Easier to carry and you can use the 17rd mags if you want. Its a great carry size and it uses the common 9mm round, and you can use almost any of the glock magazines for it, 15rd, 17rd, 33rd. you can even load .40 mags with 9mm rounds, though I don't know how reliable it would feed.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a manual safety. It restricts you from safely using a couple of carry options (pocket, shoving it in your pants, belt clip, etc). I usually carry in a holster with a trigger guard so I like the simplicity of the glock (draw, fire).

What I need to do is find a small light weight reliable pistol that I can pocket carry when I can't carry the glock. Due to medical problems (UC) I sometimes don't carry the glock because tightening the belt enough to keep the gun off the ground becomes very uncomfortable. A nice, light, pocket gun would be better then nothing in those cases.

Any suggestions?

bp
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

I do have a few suggestions...
Take a look at Kel-Tec. They're coming out with a new 9mm pocket pistol that's single stack and very slim unlike the double stack sub-compacts from glock. They may look cheap but once it's broken in (200 rds or so) it's quite a tough and reliable pistol.

Kahr is another company worth looking at. They have chamberings in 9mm, .40 and I believe soon to be a .45. They're more expensive than Kel-Tec if that's a concern.

I don't know if you're a revolver guy but you might also want to look at a Smith&Wesson J frame or Taurus model 85. You can get them with an ultra-lite frame so you barely notice it in your pocket. If you get an ultra light I'd suggest .38 special loads since recoil can be pretty stout.

None of those pistols have a manual safety though. So if that's what you're looking for then take a look at Springfield Armory's Defender which is a a single stack 1911 in .45 GAP that's quite small. I don't think it could be a pocket pistol but it might just be small enough for you to stick in a IWB holster and not notice it.

I hope that helps.
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

LWS .380 SEECAMP
:)
delbert
Silent But Deadly

Post by delbert »

bp_968 wrote:
Wraith wrote:I'm going to agree with Mr. Silvers... I'd go with a Glock if I could only have one gun. It would be a tough call between the G17 or the G21 although I'd lean towards the 17 only because of that caliber being more common world wide. If you're unsure of the toughness of a Glock pistol, check this thread out:

I agree though I would go with a G19 unless you have huge hands. Easier to carry and you can use the 17rd mags if you want. Its a great carry size and it uses the common 9mm round, and you can use almost any of the glock magazines for it, 15rd, 17rd, 33rd. you can even load .40 mags with 9mm rounds, though I don't know how reliable it would feed.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a manual safety. It restricts you from safely using a couple of carry options (pocket, shoving it in your pants, belt clip, etc). I usually carry in a holster with a trigger guard so I like the simplicity of the glock (draw, fire).

What I need to do is find a small light weight reliable pistol that I can pocket carry when I can't carry the glock. Due to medical problems (UC) I sometimes don't carry the glock because tightening the belt enough to keep the gun off the ground becomes very uncomfortable. A nice, light, pocket gun would be better then nothing in those cases.

Any suggestions?

bp
Take a close look at the Kahr PM9. I am very happy with mine and carry it in a kydex pocket holster every day. Doesn't matter if you are wearing shorts or pants. Nobody is going to get it from me in a struggle and I never have to worry about my shirt tucking in behind it when I am bending over. American made too. Only downside is a little slower to draw from pocket but worth the trade off to me.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

And the new Kahr .45 is just right in size. When you see it, it makes the 45 GAP seems stupid as Kahr did what Glock could not, or was not willing to do.

Maybe it would not meet Glock's standards for durability though.
fred0109

Post by fred0109 »

My choice for everyday carry is the Kimber Pro CDP 4" 45 in a Galco slide holster. Great gun, as I also shoot IDPA matches with it on occasion. This allows me to get great situational training with the gun that I carry everyday. :mrgreen:
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Glock 36 in my thunderwear!!!
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

bp_968 wrote:
rsilvers wrote:http://www.comp-tac.com/

I have had tons of holsters. Mitch Rosen, Galco, some other premium ones, Blade-Tech Kydex. If I could start over, I would only get Comp-Tac Ghurkas. I have one for a G20 (10mm) and it is plenty comfy to carry in that, even though I am about 150 lbs. I find it funny when large 200+lb guys carry a .32 pocket pistol just cause they never found a holster that works this well.
Well, thats two points for the comp-tac (you and #93).

Maybe I'll have the wife get me one for my birthday (next month. gifts accepted).

bp
bp,
Did you get your birthday present?

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

- Ernest Hemingway, April 1936
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

rsilvers wrote:My problem is every time I decide to get Night sights, I spend the money -- and then later switch to another carry pistol.
I have TruGlo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optics) on my Glock 21 and I love them. I decided to get them a couple years ago after a night shoot at Gunsite. I saw that my night groups were tighter than my day groups. (Front sight! Front sight! Front sight!) I bought TFOs for my G30, but they're not on yet. Some people don't like them because they're higher than normal. This may be good for suppressors though, but I don't think one would be able to sight in over a suppressor. I'll have to find out someday.

This isn't the site I bought them from, but there are pictures. This site's a little on the expensive side.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win ... ctID=21970

Frank
Last edited by Zephyr on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

That guy is crazy! I'm glad his G21 made it through all that. I never had any doubts, but wow! I liked the G21 vs. HK USP Compact 45 section :)

Frank

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

.45 Glocks / manual safety for Glocks

Post by Zephyr »

bp_968 wrote:

Any suggestions?

bp
A G30 is smallish and can use G21 mags as well. I think Scherer makes 29 round mags for these pistols, but I haven't heard much praise on Scherer mags' reliability. The single stack G36 is thinner but uses different mags. And of course now we have the .45 GAPs.

I have average to slightly smaller than average hands and I shoot the G21 and G30 just fine.

I don't know about the G30, but you can get aftermarket barrels for the G21 in 400 Corbon and 40 Super at Lone Wolf. Not that I'd carry such ammo (unless I was hunting or in bear country), but it's a couple extra options.

I've carried in my pocket before (I rarely do this) and I always ensure that there is NOTHING IN THE POCKET before I insert the pistol. I wouldn't want a pen or chapstick or dime to get inside the trigger guard. I also ensure that my fingers are together when I carefully take the Glock out of pocket.

If you don't like the Glock's lack of manual safety, you could always get one put on. Cominolli makes one, and so does another company, but I forgot its name. Here's the Cominolli safety site.

http://www.cominolli.com/glocksafety.htm

Frank

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

rsilvers wrote:http://www.comp-tac.com/

I have had tons of holsters. Mitch Rosen, Galco, some other premium ones, Blade-Tech Kydex. If I could start over, I would only get Comp-Tac Ghurkas. I have one for a G20 (10mm) and it is plenty comfy to carry in that, even though I am about 150 lbs. I find it funny when large 200+lb guys carry a .32 pocket pistol just cause they never found a holster that works this well.
rsilvers,
I checked out their site-- the Ghurka looks pretty nice. One of my Glocks has the same frame size as yours. I can't see it being very concealable. Do you carry at your hip bone? Slightly in your back? Or forward of your hip?

Frank

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

GlockandRoll wrote:Glock 36 in my thunderwear!!!
Thunderwear is my most concealable, albeit not the most comfortable, holster. I've even carried double in this holster (much less comfortable-- I stick to one in the Thunderwear now). I can even wear a tighter fitting shirt or tank top, or even go shirtless-- great for hot weather. There are other makers of similar holsters out there.

http://www.thunderwear.com/

When I carry on my motorcycle, I use one of my two M7 tanker (chest rig) holsters. They're actually replicas of military holsters designed for the 1911. A G21 and Beretta M9 both fit as well. Remember when Saddam got caught? One of the army officers in the capturing unit was wearing a similar holster in the Saddam capture photos.

http://pacificcanvasandleather.com/hols ... 6_usmc.htm
http://pacificcanvasandleather.com/hols ... mc_blk.htm

Frank

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Yeah, but when I hear the word 'carry', considering that I live in South Central TX (a place where some people do not even own a winter coat) I dont see a full size service auto as a 'carry' gun.

I think of the baby-glocks, and J-frame smiths when I think about 'carry'.

Try packing a Beretta in August in Austin when you have a t-shirt and flip-flops on... ain't happen'n, got news for ya.

:)
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

Trust me man, I know a thing or two about carrying in the heat. When I was in a certain sandy country overseas three years ago, a lot of the time (thankfully not all the time), I carried an M16, Beretta M9, associated gear, etc., while wearing a kevlar helmet and Interceptor vest (exterior body armor) AND a concealable Level IIIA vest inside. The day before I flew back to the States, it had gotten up to 118 degrees F. It wasn't even full on summer yet. I'd rather wear all that stuff and sweat than be cool and get shot. How hot does it get where you live in TX? ;) That wasn't the last time I carried in the heat either.

Besides, a G30 in the Thunderwear is only slightly bigger than a G36.

GlockandRoll, check this out. I want to get one just to try it. I don't know anyone who has one though to get a review from. This might work well for the beach while wearin baggy surf shorts...

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... alogID=374

Frank

Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

My guess is that he was talking about a fullsized pistol printing under light attire. I carry a kimber tle but can't always pull it off under a tee shirt without printing. Kahr K40 for teeshirt wear.

Rob
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

What I like about the G36, is how thin it is.
My friends have Khar, Taurus millennium pro, and the G-36 is better in every regard, its thinner, and more controllable to shoot. Glocks are also more comfy to carry under a shirt; because their slides are de-horned and there are no extruding parts.

I tried to carry a stainless PPK for a while, and then a Steyr compact, and then a P-229; I ended up with a Glock 19, and then a baby Glock. It wasn’t till the G36 came out back in 2000 that I realized it was the perfect carry gun. It's all I've carried since. I wear it everywhere; restaurants, movies, shopping, even at the office at times.

It really blows peoples minds when I shoot silhouettes w/it off a sandbag at 100 yards. If there was something better to carry concealed, I would have it. :)
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

ZephyrNewYork wrote:Trust me man, I know a thing or two about carrying in the heat. When I was in a certain sandy country overseas three years ago, a lot of the time (thankfully not all the time), I carried an M16, Beretta M9, associated gear, etc., while wearing a kevlar helmet and Interceptor vest (exterior body armor) AND a concealable Level IIIA vest inside. The day before I flew back to the States, it had gotten up to 118 degrees F. It wasn't even full on summer yet. I'd rather wear all that stuff and sweat than be cool and get shot. How hot does it get where you live in TX? ;) That wasn't the last time I carried in the heat either.

Frank
Why did you wear a IIIA vest under a IIIA vest (the interceptor is rated a IIIA if tested by the full NIJ standard)? I wonder if even 70+ layers of kevlar (2 IIIA vests) can stop a rifle round. Did you have rifle plates as well? If you go back I would contact these people, www.bulletproofme.com they sell side and shoulder plates. More comfortable then 2 vests and more protection.
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

GlockandRoll wrote:What I like about the G36, is how thin it is.
My friends have Khar, Taurus millennium pro, and the G-36 is better in every regard, its thinner, and more controllable to shoot. Glocks are also more comfy to carry under a shirt; because their slides are de-horned and there are no extruding parts.

I tried to carry a stainless PPK for a while, and then a Steyr compact, and then a P-229; I ended up with a Glock 19, and then a baby Glock. It wasn’t till the G36 came out back in 2000 that I realized it was the perfect carry gun. It's all I've carried since. I wear it everywhere; restaurants, movies, shopping, even at the office at times.

It really blows peoples minds when I shoot silhouettes w/it off a sandbag at 100 yards. If there was something better to carry concealed, I would have it. :)
GlockandRoll,
Do you shoot it suppressed?

Frank

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

No, but I would like to someday; I am afraid of reliability problems using a can on such a small auto.
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

bp_968 wrote:
ZephyrNewYork wrote:Trust me man, I know a thing or two about carrying in the heat. When I was in a certain sandy country overseas three years ago, a lot of the time (thankfully not all the time), I carried an M16, Beretta M9, associated gear, etc., while wearing a kevlar helmet and Interceptor vest (exterior body armor) AND a concealable Level IIIA vest inside. The day before I flew back to the States, it had gotten up to 118 degrees F. It wasn't even full on summer yet. I'd rather wear all that stuff and sweat than be cool and get shot. How hot does it get where you live in TX? ;) That wasn't the last time I carried in the heat either.

Frank
Why did you wear a IIIA vest under a IIIA vest (the interceptor is rated a IIIA if tested by the full NIJ standard)? I wonder if even 70+ layers of kevlar (2 IIIA vests) can stop a rifle round. Did you have rifle plates as well? If you go back I would contact these people, www.bulletproofme.com they sell side and shoulder plates. More comfortable then 2 vests and more protection.
That's what I wore. Believe it or not, I never got issued SAPI plates (Small Arms Protective Inserts) for my Interceptor. I had to BUY MY OWN ceramic plates at a gun show before we left California. SAPI plates don't provide full coverage; if you want to read more details, send me a PM.

At first, they told us that all the weapons and SAPI plates had been sent forward along with the rest of the stuf, and that we wouldn't get ours until we arrived in country. That's when I raised the BS flag and decided to buy a Glock and my own plates. But in Cali, you have to wait the silly ten day waiting period. I told them that I might be flying to a combat zone before the tenth day, which is what ended up happening. They didn't care-- I had to obey California law. I ended up getting issued an M16 and M9 anyway, just before we deployed. But sling, magazines, etc., were a different story. All this stuff had been sent forward for real. I tried to get some mags for the 9 and the 16, but all they had were the low cap mags since the Clinton Ban was still in effect. They still didn't care that I was about to leave for a combat zone. All the stalls at the gun show and all the gun shops near our base said they could only sell high caps to LE. I ended up buying some decent slings and kept one for myself, gave the others to some of my buddies. Once we arrived in country, we went around the camp scrounging for mags and other stuff. Just in time for The Push...

Have you noticed the difference between Level II and Level IIIA? The THICKNESS. There are more layers or Kevlar, Spectra, etc. in the higher levels, thus providing more protection. Also, early this year, or late last year, reports came out stating that the Corps had fielded a bunch of Interceptors that hadn't passed muster. Did you hear about that? It's better to wear something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Needless to say, I made it back safely. Last summer, when I was stationed in Virginia, I took leave for several days. When I returned to VA, I discovered that my house had been broken into. Criminals stole a lot of my stuff, to include electronics. Among my belongings that were stolen were the plates that protected me during the war, and my bayonet. The other stuff didn't bother me much, but I was really pissed about the loss of those two items.

Frank