Basic Lathe Adjustment

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Basic Lathe Adjustment

Post by Dark Tranquility »

So I bought a Grizzly G4000 about 2 months ago but haven’t really had a chance to use it yet. I take it out for its first spin and I put a tool bit (or whatever their called) into the tool holder and immediately run into a problem. I am attempting to face a piece of aluminum but the tool bit doesn’t line up with the center of the work piece so if I go to face it I will end up with a large center post.

I know this is a stupid question but I don’t know the first thing about lathes except what I’ve read online. I can’t seem to find anything about raising the tool bit up to the center line; and there doesn’t seem to be any adjustment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

The tool post on the G4000 does not have any built-in adjustment for tool height. You will have to use spacer shims under the tool bit to get it to the correct height. Take a facing cut, and then measure the post on the end of the bar. Divide that by two to get the thickness for the shim.

I would recommend that you invest in a quick change toolpost for your lathe. It may seem like a lot of money for something you already have, but the time and frustration you will save will pay you back in no time. You will quickly learn that the initial price for the lathe is only the start. Tooling is where you will spend real money. I just purchased a collet chuck for my lathe for $950. It was a bargain at that price.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

I use

Post by David Hineline »

I use busted off bits of hack saw blades for spacers.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
gevarm

Post by gevarm »

use your live or dead center in the tail stock as an height indicater,shim til your cutting tool ( brazed carbide hss or insert) top edge of tool, is exactly on center or a couple of thou below center,or better yet get an adjustable tool holder set up, much faster, especialy when changing between a facing tool,parting tool threading etc, expect to pay twice what you payed for your lathe in tooling before your done, its not that painful one peice at a time, the amatures lathe is a good starting book IMHO, money well spent as it shows most metal lathe operations, 20 years later i still refer to this book on ocasion, best regards and happy turning. :D
travelingman
Silent Operator

tool post

Post by travelingman »

I will have to go along with HandyMan. A quick change tool post is the only way to go. Mine is an aloris but there are other brands out there. Check out ENCO they have quite a bit to choose from, expensive to very reasonable. Good luck
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jfk »

Use a pair of metal snips and cut up some metal pallet straps. Have a bunch on hand and use them to shim your way up to the tail stock or dead center.

Whenever you change tooling (boring bar, threading, etc.) remember how shims it takes to get you back on center.
rockpup
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockpup »

A picture would be helpfull. On ours the way the bit holder is clamped down allows us to shim it to adjust the height. This way various styles of bit holders can be used.
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

Do yourself a big favor now and get an Aloris type quick change tool post.
www.centurionarms.com
triggerfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by triggerfinger »

Check this site out, it's got a lot of pointers on basic lathe use on the bottom links.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Ve ... rsions.htm

And if you haven't read it already, this thread is very informative from AR-15.com.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=233879
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Thanks guys, I got it going and made some basic cuts.

I’ve been going to the mini-lathe site now for quite a while. Looking back now I see the spacers he used in some of his pictures. Thanks for the AR-15 link.

So what’s a good quick change tool post; and how do I know it will fit my lathe (Grizzly G4000)

Thanks, Dan
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Littlemachineshop.com has a neat tool post for $75.00. It is aluminum and looks to have about the same versatility as larger models. It is pretty small, however. The largest bit you can use is 3/8". They also have larger tool posts, but the price goes up. What do you plan on making with your lathe? If you are going to turn aluminum and mild steel, then the small tool post is fine. However, if you are looking at machining stainless, titanium, or tool steels, you will need a larger model.
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Well to start I would like to shorten crown and thread barrels for suppressors. Eventually I would like to form 1 my own suppressor.

Thanks, Dan
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Well, I would recommend the 100 series tool post by Grizzly. It comes as a set with 5 tool holders. The only problem I see is the compound slide on your lathe does not have a T-slot. It looks like the turret post you have now is threaded directly into the compound. You would have to make modifications to fit the 'standard' tool posts that come with a T-nut. The reason I went with Littlemachineshop.com is they have tool posts set up for your lathe. I don't see a problem with a lighter tool post for your application.
bailey hudson

Re: Basic Lathe Adjustment

Post by bailey hudson »

Hi.. I'm a beginner with these kind of projects. What kind of lathe will be most appropriate for a novice like me? Thanks in advance for anyone who'd help :D
bailey hudson

Post by bailey hudson »

I went and searched for some quality lathes and found this site - SummitMT - https://www.summitmt.com/product-category/metal-lathes/
I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Also found a resource on metal lathe projects that can help me out as a beginner. https://www.summitmt.com/metal-lathe-projects/

What would be the best way to go about starting projects as a beginner? Do I go full on and have a big lathe? Or are mini-lathes ideal? And will they last long?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Hacksaw blades with the teeth removed work well for tool-post shim stock.A rocker type lantern tool post would be a economical addition to your machine.

Southbend "How to run a lathe" https://www.amazon.com/How-Run-Lathe-Be ... 799&sr=8-3

The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bailey hudson

Post by bailey hudson »

Capt. Link. wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm Hacksaw blades with the teeth removed work well for tool-post shim stock.A rocker type lantern tool post would be a economical addition to your machine...
Thank you so much for this. I'll give it a look. :D
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Also go over to Hobby Machinist site. Lots of good information and help there.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/ ... -here.208/