GemTech Raptor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

GemTech Raptor

Post by Battlecloth »

How's the Raptor regarding blowback? It would be used on a full sized UZI and M16/9.

TIA
Steve
QuietShootr

Post by QuietShootr »

Here's mine... Image

It's a great can. I do use a PRI Gasbuster charging handle...but all cans blow back - I guess I'm not sure what you're asking.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

It's a good can, blowback is not excessive in our experience. Be careful with the 3-lug adapter, watch the alignment.
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

Thanks for the responses.

Quietshootr- Great pic. I’m aware that all suppressors have blowback but I’m under the impression that some are less onerous then others. I asked because I’m wondering where in the mix the Raptor sits.

Kevin - Alignment is important on every can, so are you alluding to a particular issue? Other then having the 3-lug professionaly installed, is there anything else I can do to "be careful"?
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

No other issues, just watch out for the alignment. It just seems that a lot of people purchase the cheapest 3-lug adapter they can find. That, sometimes, leads to misalignment.
Last edited by Kevin/AAC on Fri May 06, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the feedback. Just FYI, I think my Pilot can is great.
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

QuietShootr wrote:Here's mine... Image

It's a great can. I do use a PRI Gasbuster charging handle...but all cans blow back - I guess I'm not sure what you're asking.

What is the length of your Raptor with the new Tri-Lock?
William Perkins
Silent Operator

Post by William Perkins »

QuietShootr wrote: I do use a PRI Gasbuster charging handle

I have wondered if this was effective on the blowback guns. I have a gasbuster in my suppressed AR15 in .223. I can definately feel the difference but it was not as dramatic as I had hoped. You still get the lingering, stinking vapors in your face. So I didn't jump in for the $80 on my 9mm since there is no gas tube running inside the charging handle, and since the gas volume is sooooo much smaller with 3.5 grains of powder instead of 22 grains I doubted it was cost effective. Have you shot before/after to see if it made a difference?

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
Flower A. Newhouse
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

CMP shooters sometimes use silicon sealant back there. They put mold-release agent on the rifle so the sealant only sticks to the charging handle and then lay a bead. It should work well instead of a Gas-Buster(R) but I use Gas-Buster's anyway as I think they are safer. I have sunglasses with metal fragment stuck in them from an AR15 blowing up on me from hot ammo.
William Perkins
Silent Operator

Post by William Perkins »

rsilvers wrote:CMP shooters sometimes use silicon sealant back there.

I use Gas-Buster's anyway as I think they are safer. I have sunglasses with metal fragment stuck in them from an AR15 blowing up on me from hot ammo.

I have seen this on High Power AR15 rifles. I have also seen these bits of RTV come loose and do goofy things to the latch on the charging handle so that it would not 'catch' properly. My concern is that this RTV would get inside the gun. Not likely, but not impossible. A High Power shooter can call an alibi if he wishes. Most experienced competitors are competent to clear the issue and resume shooting in the fixed time that is allowed. So in that situation using RTV is OK, maybe. But in non-fixed timed events, like IPSC 3-gun or for that matter, combat, you don't have the option of calling an alibi. So that option is not for me.

I hadn't considered the PRI piece a safety item. I have never seen brass fragments come back the way you described it but that gives additional food for thought.

Som' bitch. I just experienced that little Real player pop-up you mentioned on Bowers the other day. Crap. You must have jinxed my computer, that has NEVER happened before. Bad bad bad.

"Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson."
-- Vernon Law
QuietShootr

Post by QuietShootr »

Yes, it does noticeably reduce the snootful of hot gases.