Ammunition Discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

.30 Carbine Subsonic

Post by apochachuva »

Anyone every heard of this or made any?
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

M1 Carbine with suppressor (from Springfield Armory Museum):

My understanding is that you can't use more than like 130 grain bullets due to magazine length and slow twist in carbine barrels, Most who use subsonic 30 carbine seem to be using single shot T/C contender barrels - still only like 1:10 twist so limited to like 180 grain bullets.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Artful wrote:http://monkeystealsthepeach.com/guns/m1 ... arbine.jpg
M1 Carbine with suppressor (from Springfield Armory Museum):
I had thought about doing this before actually, and the photo(saw it in a thread somewhere) just made me want to try it more.
I was thinking there are two approaches

1. SBR it and find some heavy ammo that would be subsonic
-But I can't find bullets heavier than 115grains for it

2. Integral it and have it ported like crazy
-I'd have to have someone knowledgeable do the work so it would still cycle

I am torn because 1 would enable me to have higher velocity ammo that could penetrate better, but 2 has the convenience of not having to always load ammo for subsonic.
It would be mostly a paper puncher, but I'd like to think it could serve some practical purpose should I ever need it.

Either way I'd want to put a reproduction paratrooper stock. And if in the near future I could find an M2 trigger pack for a reasonable price, it would be fun as heck.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA3.html
scroll down to cat's sneeze paragraph
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Artful wrote:http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA3.html
scroll down to cat's sneeze paragraph
That was a good read, thank you.
Since it is certainly possible now I have to set out to see if I can find some heavier bullets.

Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Landry308 »

I've thought about it too, but IMO, it's alot of trouble and expense to end up with something roughly equivalent to a .380 ACP.
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Landry308 wrote:I've thought about it too, but IMO, it's alot of trouble and expense to end up with something roughly equivalent to a .380 ACP.
Only weaker.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Twinsen wrote:
Landry308 wrote:I've thought about it too, but IMO, it's alot of trouble and expense to end up with something roughly equivalent to a .380 ACP.
Only weaker.
380 is 90 grains at 850 to 950
Mp5sd is 115 at 950
If I can find heavier projectile it should allow me to avoid ports and I can get about 9mm power

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Well, can't you load a 127gr head into a 380? Or a 147?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Twinsen wrote:Well, can't you load a 127gr head into a 380? Or a 147?
Most 380's are straight blowback so you have to balance the bullet and powder charge to the slide weight and spring weight - you might be able to deap seat a 125 or heavier bullet in the case and still feed thru the magazine but you may wind up battering the firearm if you try for a reasonable velocity. :roll:
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Didn't know that.